back to article Nest kills Revolv

Nest may refund owners of Revolv for “intentionally bricking” the home automation hub. As of May 15 the product and its controller app will stop working. The Alphabet-owned firm quietly announced the Revolv's death sentence in February 2016. In response to mounting customer criticism yesterday, it told The Verge that it may …

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Devil

Google's attention deficit disorder

This is what happens when it affects real things, not just services like Reader.

Like Nest maintaining another API for a product which they took over was going to present an unacceptable hit to their bottom line. Making customers beg for a refund or a Nest equivalent is also pretty bad. All they've done is drag their name through the mud and make people want to buy Apple's version, when it finally comes out.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Bad publicity for early adopters

It isn't like smart home products are a big market now, it is geeks and early adopters only. The exact sort of people you don't want to have staying away from Google products because of their habit of randomly killing product lines without warning.

2. Sgt_Oddball

Re: Google's attention deficit disorder

Because apple are known for supporting products long term.

When it comes to these things, unless they open up the api so the community can get involved what's going to happen time and again is these expensive toys get bricked. It wouldn't be the first product and it won't be the last (I've got an on live box as proof of this and I'm just waiting until nowtv dies before buying a roku to use plex with)

1. Martin Gregorie

Re: Google's attention deficit disorder

I'm just waiting until nowtv dies before buying a roku to use plex with

Personally I wouldn't touch any Roku product with a barge pole after experiencing their *cough* wonderful long-term support *cough* for the Soundbridge, the internet radio tuner they used to sell.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon