back to article Space archeologist discovers new evidence of Vikings invading America

Archeologists using the most advanced satellite scanning methods think they've found a new Viking settlement in the North American continent. Professor Sarah Parcak, from the University of Alabama's Archeology Department, has pioneered the use of satellite imaging in archeology and has spent the last year looking for new …

1. Stevie

Bah!

By a curious coincidence, xeno-archeologists on the planet Lambda Aurigae IV are also in the process of an exciting new viking discovery.

In their case it's the sudden onslaught of radio-frequency signals that when decoded go:

Spam,spam-spam-spam

Spam,spam-spam-spam

Spam,spam-spam-spam Glorious spam, magnificent spam!

Spam,spam-spam-spam Surgical spam, splendiferous spam!

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Re: Bah!

Surgical spam?!? Surely it's lovely spam?

1. Sgt_Oddball
        Coat

Shad'up!

Bloody vikings....

Mines the one with the opening key in it.

1. Mpeler
          Coat

We looked for intelligent life - we found none...

1. Pompous Git Silver badge
            Happy

We looked for intelligent life - we found none...

Oh my eyes! I read that as intelligent wife.

2. Stevie

Re: Surely

Translation error? Signal's pretty attenuated out there.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

... don't call me Shirley.

1. PNGuinn
            Coat

Don't call a VIKING Shirley ....

Thanks - mine's the one with the tin of ....

2. Chemical Bob

Re: Shirley

... don't call me, Shirley.

Happy

Re: Shirley

... don't call me, Shirley.

OK. How about Schartzmugel?

2. A. Coatsworth Silver badge
    Meh

So these Vikings were the first Europeans to map the coasts of 'Newfoundland'

Any news of clashes with 'the complex and diverse societies of indigenous people/s' during their 'occupation'?

1. Rich 11

Do you mean to tell me that you don't remember this famous 1970s documentary? Shocked. I'm shocked.

2. Lars Silver badge
      Happy

"Any news of clashes with 'the complex and diverse societies of indigenous people/s' during their 'occupation'?"

Yes there is one, a very short one, where some natives turned up on the beach and they went down to kill them. No additional thoughts or details in that short sentence. Perhaps not such a good solution for their own future. Still it's probably evident that they were just not able to get any number of people interested in moving there. Not that they didn't try, like by calling Greenland green and calling Newfoundland Vinland (vineland). Good marketing efforts though. Walking on thin ice here as too serious boffins might disagree furiously. Came to think about the date to day too.

"Any news of clashes with 'the complex and diverse societies of indigenous people/s' during their 'occupation'?"

Yes there is one, a very short one, where some natives turned up on the beach and they went down to kill them. No additional thoughts or details in that short sentence.

There's more than that:

One old source held that Skraelings, or Inuit, who had crossed over from Ellesmere Island in the far north around A.D. 1000, migrated down the west coast and overran the settlement. Ivar Bardarson, steward of the Church's property in Greenland, and a member of a sister settlement 300 miles to the southeast, was said to have gathered a force and sailed northwest to drive the interlopers out, but "when they came hither, behold they found no man, neither Christian nor heathen, naught but some wild cattle and sheep, and they killed as many of the wild cattle and sheep as they could carry and with them returned to their houses."

Not sure if my response is furious, or not ;-)

And it's April 3. Not sure what that signifies.

3. arctic_haze

The news of clashes with indigenous people do exist

The Vinland saga describes many clashes in detail. In fact they were were describe to explain why the exploration of Vineland had been abandoned. A short resume from the Wikipedia "Vineland" article:

"One morning they see nine hide boats; the local people (Skraelings) examine the Norse ships and depart in peace. Later a much larger flotilla of boats arrives, and trade commences (Karlsefni forbids the sale of weapons). One day, the local traders are frightened by the sudden arrival of the Greenlanders' bull, and they stay away for three weeks. They then attack in force, but the explorers manage to survive with only minor casualties by retreating inland to a defensive position a short distance from their camp. Pregnancy slows Freydis down, so she picks up the sword of a fallen companion and brandishes it against her bare breast, scaring the attackers into withdrawal. One of the local people picks up an iron axe, tries it, and throws it away. The explorers subsequently abandon the southern camp and sail back to Straumsfjord, killing five natives they encounter on the way, lying asleep in hide sacks."

There should be a movie about this. Especially the part where Freydis, daughter of Eric the Red, goes berserk and topless at the same time. Good Hollywood stuff!

1. x 7

Re: The news of clashes with indigenous people do exist

"There should be a movie about this. Especially the part where Freydis, daughter of Eric the Red, goes berserk and topless at the same time. Good Hollywood stuff!"

the wiki article about her at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freyd%C3%ADs_Eir%C3%ADksd%C3%B3ttir (not sure if that link will work) makes her out to be a bloodthirsty murderous lying nutter

She probably didn't scare the enemy off - they just looked at her and thought "8-month pregnant loony, probably been eating crap, let her get on with it, not our problem"

Good movie? Probably not, more suited to an Vinlandic version of East Enders. Vin-Enders anyone?

4. YARR

DISINFORMATION: the first Europeans to arrive in North America

Archaeological evidence of arrowheads suggests the Solutreans originating from modern day France were the first known Europeans to arrive in North America. They are believed to have skirted the edge of the ice shelf during the last ice age, rather than using ocean-going vessels.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

HOGWASH!

Everyone knows that Gerard Depardieu discovered America first!

1. Lars Silver badge
      Happy

Re: HOGWASH!

I have a feeling that the "red Indians" discovered North America first, but if you look at the chart from Norway to Iceland to Greenland then Newfoundland looks quite plausible and inevitable and apart from that there are the written "evidence". Not, though, the wholly sort like Noah but just sort of more believable. But I have strong opposition to the word "invade", lets just be a bit modest in that respect.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

'..but if you look at the chart from Norway to Iceland to Greenland then Newfoundland looks quite plausible and inevitable and apart from that there are the written "evidence". '

I'll just throw in here that the Irish were in Iceland when the Vikings got there, ditto re the Faroes (and this is according to the Vikings themselves and archaeological evidence).

I'll also throw into the ring, mainly for the hell of it, the theory that the Phoenicians got to the Americas before Columbus, or was that the Egyptians..Cocaine Mummies, anyone?, or, step forward also, the Chinese..or even (cue dramatic music) The Knights Templar.

Honourable mentions also, the Israelis (lost tribes Dept), the Bretons/Gauls, the Beaker People..

'I have a feeling that the "red Indians" discovered North America first..'

Is the only thing that matters, anything else, I always have a feeling that it's a seriously stupid and pointless game of pissing up the wall primarily being played out betwixt the Latins and Nordics.

I'm not taking anything away from the actual Archaeology, that's actually interesting and, despite being of the Hiberno-Scots persuasion, I hope they can conclusively prove it is an ancient Viking settlement as it shows that our (collective) ancestors were a lot more mobile (and capable) that previous generations of historians thought/gave them credit for.

Anyway, even if it is a Viking settlement, it never 'took'; no fleet ever arrived from Valhalla and the Battle of Gibraltar never happened...

1. Lars Silver badge
          Happy

"it shows that our (collective) ancestors were a lot more mobile (and capable) that previous generations of historians thought/gave them credit for.". Yes I fully agree with that".

Valhalla, however, is where you go to enjoy afterlife, if a "believer". A one-way resort. I haven't made up my mind just yet. Valhalla sounds like more fun than heaven where there is only harp playing and the risk of having a dumb lawyer and ending down in hell. Virgins are short lasting. I suppose there are reasons I enjoyed reading Mark Twain's "Letters from the Earth".

"Man is a marvelous curiosity. When he is at his very, very best he is a sort of low grade nickel-plated angel; at his worst he is unspeakable, unimaginable; and first and last and all the time he is a sarcasm."

Valhalla sounds like more fun than heaven where there is only harp playing

Jeshua the Nazarene (aka Jesus of Nazareth for some odd reason) said (according to several Bibles in my library): "The Kingdom of Heaven is at hand". That was ~2,000 years ago, so it seems most likely he meant by "at hand" here and now. Or in the immortal words of Frank Zappa: "You'd better dig it while it's happening".

I'll leave the belief in The Afterlife to those unable to enjoy themselves in the present.

2. Pompous Git Silver badge

our (collective) ancestors were a lot more mobile (and capable) that previous generations of historians thought/gave them credit for

The Git noted in another thread:

Oddly enough, the discovery of the Lake Mungo human remains calls into question the Out of Africa hypothesis. As I noted earlier, the mtDNA is not that of mitochondrial Eve that all living humans appear to possess. It's far from the realms of possibility that they were the creators of the Bradshaw rock art that is found at ~100,000 sites spread over 50,000 km^2 of northern Australia. This rock art is attributed by the local Aboriginal people to unknown predecessors and they confess to having no understanding of what the art's meaning is. This is hardly surprising. It frequently depicts people, and boats with keels and rudders rather than animals.

Dating the art has been problematic; the pigments have become as one with the rock. One such work is [partially] covered by a fossilised wasp's nest dated to ~17,000 years before the present. That's considerably older than the pyramids at Gizeh and intriguingly earlier than the supposed invention of keels and rudders. The rudder is supposedly an invention of the first century AD by the Chinese.

While unanswered questions intrigue those of us of a Gittish Nature, the Black Armbanders have thus far successfully managed to stifle any meaningful investigation of such things. So it goes...

Erich von Däniken attributed the Bradshaws to people from outer space. The Git's always puzzled by such fantasies when the truths we uncover are generally fascinating enough to need no embellishment.

3. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

'..Valhalla, however, is where you go to enjoy afterlife, if a "believer".'

Sorry, that was a obscurish Pratchett reference..

'..The big migration followed automatically. The Turks were again pushing west and north. Leiv's father, Eirik, was a shrewd salesman. His Greenland had turned out nowhere like as green as it had been in his imagination, but from Vinland Leiv had thoughtfully brought rich berries and wild grains.

The Northmen went west again. They leap-frogged colony after colony down the eastern seaboard, up into the base rugged lands around Tyker's Sea and down the Long Fjord into the Middle Seas.

It was the landscape of their dreams. They called it Valhalla.

There were natives. But the newcomers were only half-hearted farmers -- underneath the agricultural veneer they thought bloody. Those tribes they couldn't out fight they outthought. When they met the Objibwa Confederacy they made treaties. And they spread, and merged.

By all the theories it should have ended there. Neither the natives nor the invaders had the textbook kind of social dynamic that builds Remes. The Northmen should have become just another tribe, with blue eyes and fair hair. The theories were wrong. Something latent in both races was sparked into fire.

It was a big continent, and it was rich. In short, 300 years after Leiv, a fleet arrived at the mouth of the Mediterranean. Most of the vessels were under sail although there were one or two, small, fast and inclined to blow up, that could move into the wind. The sails of the big ships bore the Great Eagle of Valhalla on a striped background alternating the colours of the sky, the snow and blood.

The Battle of Gibraltar was short. Europe had been through 200 years of stagnation. There was no answer to cannon.' - Strata - Terry Pratchett

4. Random Handle

>Valhalla sounds like more fun than heaven where there is only harp playing

But heavenly harping is eternal - Valhalla is only temporary respite while you wait for another final glorious death and cold oblivion. Some versions have an Earth reboot, but only for two survivors - imagine how annoying Jehovah's Witnesses would be with those odds.

2. Jeffrey Nonken

TFA is talking about first European occupation, not first discovery or occupation.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"I have a feeling that the "red Indians" discovered North America first"

Except they didn't. There's a growing body of archaeological evidence to indicate the the American Plains Indians were just one of a long line of "invaders" and not the "aboriginal peoples" they claim.

2. Fink-Nottle

> Everyone knows that Gerard Depardieu discovered America first!

Naw, the Justified Ancients of MuMu were there first.

4. Miss Config
    FAIL

Space Archeology ?

Am I the only ignoramus who has never heard of the field of Space Archeology ?

Does the Reg at least have a sub-folder for it in Science ?

Re: Space Archeology ?

Clickbait, sort of...

But there should be proper space archeology.

Oh well, let's watch Archeology Today.

1. Robin Bradshaw

Its not quite "space" archeology, but the UK airborne LIDAR dataset is close.

Here is stonehenge:

https://houseprices.io/lab/lidar/map?ref=SU122422

1. BoldMan

Thats an old shot of Stonehenge - they've dug up that road that went past the Heel Stone and the visitors centre is further away...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Could this be the ultimate mash-up we Indy fans have been waiting for?

"ALIENS VS INDIANA JONES"

5. Mike 16

Does this mean

we can stop celebrating "Columbus say" and honor Italians for some real accomplishments?

Backdating to the Romans gets us quite a few, and the Etruscans were damn cool. More recently, a tractor company producing real sports cars. And the food, of course.

Re: Does this mean

Pasta, Risotto, Grappa and Alfa Romeo... that's me sold on the idea!

1. Dave Bell

The tractor company is, or was, Lamborghini. I have driven one. Nothing that novel for a tractor. but there are bragging rights.

The tractor company is Lamborghini.

Ferruccio Lamborghini started building tractors in 1948 and added building sports cars in 1963.

There are several stories or rather legends around this. The one I like best is that Lamborghini, being a successful Italian businessman, bought himself a Ferrari - and complained about mechanical problems. Which, according to legend, led to a blazing row with Enzo Ferrari. Culminating in Enzo telling Ferruccio that he was only fit to drive tractors, not a refined sports car. And Ferruccio telling Enzo fine, I'll build my own - and better - car.

The one I like least is that Lamborghini started building sports cars as a marketing ploy. (I think the proper marketing blurb is to grow the brand.)

2. KA1AXY

Don't forget radio...and more importantly, building an extremely profitable business around it.

3. grumpyoldeyore

a tractor company producing real sports cars

Ah! You mean when a tractor company won an F1 race?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four-wheel_drive_in_Formula_One

Re: a tractor company producing real sports cars

Ah! You mean when a tractor company won an F1 race?

I thought he was expressing surprise having "discovered" that a tractor company made tractors. Townies are funny that way. Nothing like the surprise they express when you show them that chickens' eggs come out of their shit-hole though. A surprising number believe you when you tell them that while milk comes from cows, cream come from bulls. "Make sure you grab the fencewire good and tight while you climb through" is good for a laugh as well :-)

1. LINCARD1000
          Coffee/keyboard

Re: a tractor company producing real sports cars

A friend of mine refers to eggs as "bum nuts"... and now it vaguely creeps me out every time I eat one :-)

4. Lars Silver badge
      Happy

I thought the Columbus Day was already thrown out the window in the USA because he was a nasty person.

For an Italian to honour, and with an IT angle, I would suggest Olivetti. (Although I had two Alfa Romeo Berlina cars (1750 and 2000)).

About Olivetti:

"The first commercial programmable "desktop computer", the Programma 101, was produced by Olivetti in 1964 and was a commercial success.". Remember Apple Computer was founded 1976 and Microsoft 1975. (with MS-DOS in the mid-1980s).

As overlooked (pushed under the rug) as Zuse in the Anglo-American "mindset".

"The first commercial programmable "desktop computer", the Programma 101, was produced by Olivetti in 1964 and was a commercial success."

I don't remember that model, but I do remember the P203. Illustrated here:

http://www.technikum29.de/en/computer/commercial

A friend of mine had one. The accounting machine I owned was a Mercedes illustrated here:

http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/online_science/explore_our_collections/objects/index/smxg-60419

Only reason I purchased it was so I could say, truthfully, "I own a Mercedes".

2. x 7

"I had two Alfa Romeo Berlina cars (1750 and 2000)"

Alfa were building cars in 1750? I never knew that. And is your name Metheusela?

1. Lars Silver badge

@x 7, I also had a 2950 Volvo 164. Go figure.

6. Rol

Well, I heard...

..flint tools napped in a fashion that almost fingerprints them to a tribe originating in the French region pre-dates any Viking venture by aeons.

It was suggested they took the flimsy fishing boats of the day along the edge of a hugely extended ice shelf during the last ice age, which kind of makes sense, when you consider they were going totally stone age on each other for resources.

7. a_yank_lurker

What happened to them?

One question remains, why did the settlements die out? I read somewhere that some think these settlements were only inhabited part of the year.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: What happened to them?

The Viking Age was quite warm and they did okay. Then the Little Ice Age froze them out. Also they were by chance in a bad position for exploring west, with prevailing winds directly against them. I figure it's daunting to cross large cold ocean gaps of unknown extent against the wind.

1. BongoJoe

Big John

Ah but you're forgetting that the Vikings and other Norsemen had the ability to navigate along the latitudes with sunsticks (a sort of sundial one held in one's hand). With such a device it's easy to travel any distance across open oceans going directly East to West.

Plus, of course, it's not hard to hop from Norway to Iceland to Greenland to Newfoundland and back again.

The only thing that could possibly surprise me is that if they somehow managed to prove that they didn't get there at all.

Yours etc.,

Prince Madog

Ah but you're forgetting that the Vikings and other Norsemen had the ability to navigate along the latitudes with sunsticks (a sort of sundial one held in one's hand).

Not just sunsticks, sunstones when the sun was obscured by clouds and fog. Nature news item here:

http://www.nature.com/news/2011/110131/full/news.2011.58.html

The paper referred to makes interesting reading.

8. Pompous Git Silver badge

Greenland etc

Back when Greenland was settled, ivory was the plastic of the day and used for ever so many daily essentials both decorative and utilitarian. The Moslems had cut off the African and Asian elephant ivory trade routes to Europe (called Christendom at the time). Greenland became the chief supplier of ivory to Europe by slaughtering walruses and removing their tusks.

[Cue humorous aside for Lars: What did Mr Walrus say to Mrs Walrus before they were married? "I'll walrus love you".]

Greenland was devoid of bog iron, essential for an Iron Age lifestyle and ~4.5 kg capita per year was imported from Europe in return for the walrus ivory. Timber was also in short supply and the only place it could realistically have come from was the North American continent.

What killed off the Greenland colony? A number of things. Yes, it grew colder and graves, whole farms even, are still in deeply frozen ground. A mixed blessing for archaeologists: excellent preservation of organic matter, but hard digging!

The African and Asian ivory trade routes were re-opened, killing the demand for walrus ivory. The Greenland "Vikings" for reasons unknown did not eat fish. While the Inuit middens of the day contain abundant fish bones, those of the immigrants have revealed only 4 last I heard. A further clue comes from the stature of the dead which diminishes gradually over an extended period. They would appear to have suffered from malnutrition. The number being buried as well as their stature declines over time.

As for colonisation of North America, that wasn't needed. The importation of timber into Greenland didn't require permanent settlement and equal likelihood has always been given in the past to seasonal occupation. The discovery of the remains of dwellings, while exciting enough (to an archaeologist) is insufficient to give a definitive answer. If there's a local population that was also there a thousand years ago, then modern DNA techniques will give us an answer.

For those interested in the application of DNA evidence to archaeology, there's a nice article in Prospect magazine. The subject is Myths of British Ancestry, but it's based on the same kind of evidence I was talking about that nailed Syria as the source of neolithic farmers in Western Europe. Y chromosomes and mtDNA are a rich source of information in the absence of written evidence. Inner Space archaeology as it were.

http://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/features/mythsofbritishancestry

1. Dave Bell

Re: Greenland etc

There's substantial evidence from DNA of the movement patterns across Europe after the end of the last Ice Age. The Celts came from what is now the Basque country, the rest of us walked across the North Sea, and all long before the Romans or the Anglo-Saxons. After that, ideas often moved rather than people/genes.

Sheepdogs, the herding dogs rather than the guard dogs, seem to be a British invention. British Iron Age field boundaries don't work well without them, and they're different elsewhere in Europe.

Don't bet on sheepdogs looking as you would expect. My grandfather had a sheepdog who looked like a greyhound.

1. Alister

The Celts came from what is now the Basque country

No, I don't think they did, they came from Central / Eastern Europe.

1. x 7

the Celts appear not to have really existed as a homogenous racial group......current theories seem to view "Celts" as more of a cultural concept - an acquired style of living shared by numerous racial groups.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Interesting article, thanks for sharing.

3. Lars Silver badge
      Happy

Thanks for the link, but then I read the comments. What the hell is it with some people. Your DNA stealing your identity. There was a year or two ago an article here about how "many" "Brits" came. presumable to Britain via Turkey. Some commentards seemed to take it as a personal insult.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

"The Vikings explored farther into the New World than we dared thought"

Last I saw them, they were in Minneapolis. Their attempt to conquer Arizona was thrown back by the Cardinals though.

(/rimshot)

Re: "The Vikings explored farther into the New World than we dared thought"

Their attempt to conquer Arizona was thrown back by the Cardinals though.

Didn't stop them from invading Central and South America, where after a short pause they went on to invade the Pacific Ocean and settle Polynesia. The Norwegian Thor Heyerdahl wrote several books about it. Very convincing they were, too. When I was 8 years old.

10. John Savard

Date

Space archeologists and Vikings? In the same news item?

Also, I've heard of TED talks, but I didn't think that a company that gets revenue from ads on YouTube would be able to afford $1 million prizes.

And then there was that recent "find" of a Roman sword in the New World that turned out to look exactly like a real Roman sword used as the model for cheap imitation Roman swords. That find took place in Atlantic Canada, although I can't remember if it was in l'Anse aux Meadows.

Given all that, if this was a genuine news item, the date on which it was published will lead to confusion.

11. Stoke the atom furnaces

Not the first

Didn't the Justified Ancients of Mu Mu reach America before the Vikings ?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hLTgMY-IhXY

12. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

AFAIK, Viking expeditions to North America first started when Erik Njorl, son of Frothgar, left his home to seek Hangar the Elder at the home of Thorvald Nlodvisson, the son of Gudleif, half brother of Thorgier, the priest of Ljosa water, who took to wife Thurunn, the mother of Thorkel Braggart, the slayer of Cudround the powerful, who knew Howal, son of Geernon, son of Erik from Valdalesc, son of Arval Gristlebeard, son of Harken, who killed Bjortguaard in Sochnadale in Norway over Cudreed, daughter of Thorkel Long, the son of Kettle-Trout, the half son of Harviyoun Half-troll, father of Ingbare the Brave, who with Isenbert of Gottenberg the daughter of Hangbard the Fierce.

Source: The North Malden Icelandic Saga Society

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
      Coat

Well, I suppose it's a slightly more colourful if less accurate address than:

14 The Meadows

Lesser Maldon by the Marsh

Midsomer County

13. Winkypop Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Bring back Time Team!

This seems as good a justification!

Re: Bring back Time Team!

I wish I could upvote that more!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Please no.

"We have to complete this project before a fictitious deadline to make for More Interesting television and in the meantime we'll attack the site without sensitivity and leave it a bloody mess for the real archaeologists to repair"

We have to complete this project before a fictitious deadline to make for More Interesting television and in the meantime we'll attack the site without sensitivity and leave it a bloody mess for the real archaeologists to repair

My list:

Professor Mick Aston, Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries of London

Francis Pryor MBE, Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries of London

Phil Harding, Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries of London, voted Archaeologist of the Year in March 2013 by readers of Current Archaeology magazine

John Gater, BSc Archaeological Sciences, archaeological geophysicist

Chris Gaffney, archaeological geophysicist, awarded an honorary degree by the University of Bradford for popularising archaeological geophysics via Time Team

Carenza Lewis, Professor of Public Understanding of Research at the University of Lincoln

Your list?:

Anonymous coward, no known qualifications or expertise

Erich von Däniken, pseudoscientist

Much to my deep and everlasting shame I forgot to mention the hordes of students and other volunteers who shifted an enormous amount of dirt, often in appalling weather conditions, and the excavator driver. The Git dips his lid as we say in these parts.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

TV Show Monday

The article should have mentioned that for those in the UK on Monday 4 April there is an hour and a half documentary about the Vikings which includes this discovery. BBC 1 8:30 to 10:00 PM "The Vikings Uncovered".

15. capnmikey

Heroic Landscape

Some years ago, I sailed my own boat up the west coast of Newfoundland to visit L'anse aux Meadows. The summer icebergs in the Belle Isle Strait are very impressive. The northern tip of Newfoundland is very remote but you can see the Canadian mainland across the strait. L'anse aux Meadows was discovered in part because it is the kind of landscape the Vikings would have preferred, hence a place to look. The evidence on the ground is proof that the Vikings were there. The site is supposed to have been occupied for about 20 years circa 1000AD

This new site at Point Rosee, near Codroy on the south west tip of Newfoundland is within sight of Cape Breton.

The Skraelings would have been either Miq'mak or Beothuk, both of which are known to have lived in Newfoundland. The Beothuk lasted until circa 1830, when they were officially declared extinct.

The other site of great interest is at Red Bay in Labrador just across from L'anse aux Meadows. It was the destination for Basque whaling fleets during the early 16th century. I still have some shards of pan tile, collected from the shingle beach where the whalers rendered the blubber for its oil. Altogether an interesting part of the world if you follow the movements of European peoples to North America, before and after Columbus.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like