back to article Nokia E66 smartphone

The next-gen version of the E65 slider is longer, but slimmer, and packs in a 3.2 megapixel camera, push email, HSDPA, AGPS, more memory and better battery life – all in a good-looking package. It’s slimmer by a couple of millimetres, though it's also longer by the same amount and slightly heavier. But it's that slimness that …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. James Anderson
    Thumb Down

Another Nokia smartphone!

Nokia should concentrate thier design efforts on one or two smartphones that more than five people would buy.

Back of fag packet calculation:-

Total Number of Smartphones sold /

Nokias market share% /

100 /

Number of Nokia smartphones available

= 5

After all Apple seem to have done pretty well with just 4 models.

Alternatively why not open up a bespoke phone service. When you want a phone call up Nokia and have them send over a designer and an engineer who will build you a phone than fly back to Finland - makes more sense than the current scattergun strategy.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

And the Apple fanboys say

Waits in anticpation......

3. Graham Wood

Correction, about the E65

"you had to remove the battery on the E65." is incorrect. Remove the back cover, and the MicroSD slides out to the side - nowhere near the battery.

You need to remove the battery to take the SIM out, but I don't think that's really a problem...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Correction.

"a hot-swappable microSD card - you had to remove the battery on the E65"

No you didn't.

Let's hope the E66 doesnt crash and reboot itself as often as the E65 does.

5. pctechxp
    Jobs Horns

And the Apple Fanboys say...

Nothin' they are too busy worrying about mobileme and their vanishing contacts....

Meanwgile in Cupertino Evil Steve is sitting with his CFO trying to figure out ways to recover the refunds Apple has had to pay out when people cottoned onto the fact he was trying to rob them.

Gotta say though, why £7/quid for voice guidance, AGPS just drains the battery so would switch off.

Looks a nice phone though, might even make me want to buy a Nokia again.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Handyverboten

In related news, a German court has ruled that using a mobile phone's navigation software is illegal while driving because it is illegal to use a phone while driving, and running the navigation software is running the phone.

http://www.heise.de/newsticker/Handyverbot-am-Steuer-gilt-auch-bei-Nutzung-als-Navi--/meldung/110878

7. Mage Silver badge

Sim/SD card.

E65

You CAN change the SD card without powering down, there is a menu option.

If you are careful you can even slide out the SIM without removing battery.

But I bought an Archos 605 WiFi 160GByte as I was dissatisfied with limited storage, you end up installing maps & applications on the SDcard so can't really swap it for other music.

8. Arnold Lieberman
    Thumb Down

Cr@p, just cr@p

@Graham Wood:

"Let's hope the E66 doesnt crash and reboot itself as often as the E65 does."

Isn't that one of the defining features of just about any smartphone you care to name?

@James Anderson:

"Nokia should concentrate thier design efforts on one or two smartphones that more than five people would buy."

Yeah, if they had just a few models then they might be more inclined to finish off the software before moving onto the next one.

I suppose they need to keep their designers busy in order to catch each annual "upgrade" the contract-tards demand, even if a new model does nothing better than the last dozen did.

Do symbian phones still not have automatic key lock or timed profiles as standard? My 3230 of 2005 is, in general, more poorly specified and with worse battery life than it's predecessor, a Sony Ericsson T68i. However, it does at least run TomTom adequately - WITHOUT A MONTHLY SUBSCRIPTION (Nokia can stick AGPS up it's @r5e).

9. eugene

Re: James Anderson

Just one or two smartphones? I prefer the many-different-models approach. There is no one (or two) phones that will suit everyone - different people have different wants and needs in a phone. An iphone is an iphone is an iphone. Don't like the lack of a keyboard? A heavy user who needs to replace the battery in the middle of the day? Need corporate features, and a phone that actually cares about data security? Sorry, Apple doesn't have a phone for you.

On the other hand, if you need business features, you can get an E66, if you want a keyboard, you can get an E71 or E90. Want just multimedia? You have a selection of N-Series phones to choose from. Don't like the look of one? Get a different one. In the end, nokia will end up selling more phones ... oh .. they already do! :)

Apple seem to have done pretty well with just 4 models? What's their market share now? They're selling an image. It's like saying Prada is doing pretty well with bags. They are, but it doesn't mean Prada bags are superior to <another brand> bags. With the iPhone, people buy them for the name and image, or get fully taken in by the hype and great apple marketing, while the remaining others actually buy it for what it is.

"Makes more sense than the current scattergun strategy" -- it sure seems to be working very well for them! A phone for everyone - not "everyone, you will like this phone!"

I used an iphone for a while but really didn't like typing on a touchscreen. It's a great web surfing (as long as you don't need to type too much) and multimedia device, but a very, very ordinary phone.

10. James Anderson
    Happy

Re: Eugene

I have mostly bought Nokias in the past. Last time I was considering upgrading to a smat phone I had a look at the various Nokia offerings, and, basicly gave up.

The profusion of slightly different E.. and N.. models means you need to scan the fine details of feature lists making sure it has what you need and trying to work out what each model has and whethere its worth hte extra -- OK so far this is just normal tech shopping.

The problem is that having done the research and choosen a model its probably not in stock so you have just wasted an hour of your time, or, if it is in stock and you get your hands on one the build quality is c**P and the UI is stoneage and none of the apps are usable.

I really htink they ought to spend the time on fewer better phones, and, spend a lot more time unclunking the user interface.

11. Mike Fairclough

Why?

Isn't this just a dumbed down N95?

What 'business' features are we really talking about here? Push Email?

12. andy rock
    Thumb Up

@ Arnold Lieberman

"contract-tards"

heh heh, i like it. quick, trademark it!

13. Anton Ivanov
    Coat

Does it improve the RAM or it is as useless as the 65 for smartphone use

The E65 has just about enough RAM to run the bundled SIP client and browse the web. The moment you try to use th IMAP client you are facing the choice of "either SIP or IMAP". So the question is - did they improve the RAM or t is the same crap as before. If it is the same crap as before (64M) it is better to shell out the few extra quid for a proper N-series gadget.

Another question is - did they fix the Bluetooth bugs. With an E65 if you walk out of handsfree coverage you quite often have to reboot (especially if you use the SIP client as well). Quite annoying actually. You almost fell like you are running Winhoze...

Me coat, the one with "Enough E-series, I am going for an N78" on it.

14. pctechxp

@Mage

What's the point of sliding out the SIM without powering down as it causes you to lose connectivity anyway and when you insert the new SIM it has to register so not sure what time you think you are saving.

15. V.B.N.
    Stop

Missing a QWERTY keypad

says who? Its a business phone without a QWERTY keypad, not missing one though.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like