back to article Got a Toshiba laptop? Get it off your lap, then read this recall notice

Toshiba is recalling the battery packs in 39 notebook models over fears they could be prone to catching fire. The US Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) says that the recalled battery packs - built by Panasonic - were shipped in 91,000 notebooks in the US and 10,000 in Canada between June 2011 and January 2016. The …

1. Duffaboy
    FAIL

One word Toshiba

2. petef

UK too

The article sort of implies that the battery issue is just a North American issue. I received and fitted a replacement battery from Toshiba a couple of weeks ago.

They provide an app which checks the serial number automatically. My original battery was identified as being at risk.

1. Danny 14

Re: UK too

Out of 41 laptops we have our apprentice workshop monkey has located 12 serial numbers and 10 of them are at risk. The other 2 werent recognised (monkey will recheck next week when he is in) These are 4 year old satellite pros all bought at the same time. New batteries for them will be nice i suppose.

3. J. R. Hartley

The title is no longer required.

Shitting crikey

4. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Didn't bother with the app

I some how doubt that the "convenient" app would run on a Gentoo Linux install and I can't be arsed to compile up Wine to see if it would. Had to take quite a few piccies of instructions and serial and product numbers and I am now reassured that mine is OK.

Mind you, would I be able to tell the difference between the heat from the usual compilathon and the battery going up in flames? Libre Office compiles seem to come close to melting my trousers.

1. David 132 Silver badge
      Happy

Re: Didn't bother with the app

Running Gentoo and complaining about the hassle of compiling everything is rather like moving to an Amish community and complaining about having to weave your own clothes and churn your own butter.

I upvoted you, in case you think I'm just being mean..

2. Vic

Re: Didn't bother with the app

I some how doubt that the "convenient" app would run on a Gentoo Linux install and I can't be arsed to compile up Wine to see if it would

If you just want the serial number, try:

cat /sys/class/power_supply/BAT0/serial_number

Vic.

5. Palpy

I think my Toshiba laptop is well out of the running --

-- it's original OS was early Vista.

Not an expensive computer, but over its lifespan it's run every 32-bit OS I put on it. Still chugging along, currently with Q4OS, PCLinux, Mint, and Salix in multi-boot. Whatever Toshiba's current rep, I bear much fondness for the dreadful plastic little beast they made in 2008.

1. itzman

Re: dreadful plastic little beast they made in 2008

I can assure you the one I bought around Christmas time is still a dreadful plastic little beast made in 2015

It is 64 bit and runs Linux competently though

1. Danny 14

Re: dreadful plastic little beast they made in 2008

The 4 year old ones we have feel nasty and cheap, they they have all survived a high school IT lab so they cant be too bad.

Ive swapped a few keyboards and cracked screens but the casings are sound enough.

6. chivo243 Silver badge
    Meh

My Satellite

Has a battery beginning with the affected batch number, but the utility says A-OK. Damn, I was hoping for a new battery for a 3 yr old laptop ;-{

1. MrT

Re: My Satellite

Same here - the kids have a 3yr-old C850-1G2. Since swapping out the HDD to an SSD, it still gets 4-5hrs of real use on a charge though.

The manual check tool shows other parameters for G71C******* parts - model range is broken down further (mine's PSCBWE, and not listed), and even then the serial number has to also match. Ah well, no free battery!

7. Conundrum1885

Re. recall

I had an HP dv6000 (Intel, Core 2) which suffered from a battery failure, in this case no capacity after previously working fine for about a year.

Surprise, battery recall, 4 weeks later (sea mail) having sent the old battery back ages earlier I got a nice fresh one in the post. Kudos to HP for supporting their antique products!

Also had the same thing with a Toshiba tablet PC, sadly this one got sold on before I heard about the recall. This was the one with the infamous "flaky touchscreen" bug requiring periodic reseating of the 42 way *2 ribbon connectors.

8. Neil Barnes Silver badge
    Happy

Hmm.

No mention of internal batteries (no user serviceable parts my elbow!) on Tosh Chromebook II then. That's reassuring...

9. Mike 16

The upside, and the downside

Not-easily-replaceable batteries have the advantage that you are less likely to just bang in some roughly-correct shape mystery-pack bought at a boot sale from a guy who _looked_ honest.

OTOH, easily replaceable batteries mean that when the original battery fails to hold a charge after two months on a brand new Toshiba laptop, they will replace it at the local shop, because even with the 20 minutes of arguing that it was my fault for leaving it on the charger all day at the office, instead of manually managing the charge cycle (Battery Management? We've heard of it), it was easier for them to replace it than it would have been on a sealed unit.

10. Conundrum1885

Re. batteries

My data point, the other Toshiba laptop I have is a C650D, serial number 7A247044Q

Battery SN is a 6F5100J83A1AAN rev 1.00 V000210180 D/C J0070

Its been quadded with P720 (15W) and also has the thermal mod and runs a *lot* cooler now with fewer glitches.

The graphics chip on this one has clear signs of overheating so this hopefully prevented some damage as before it ran for about half an hour before graphics glitches began showing up.

Just a thought however, some models let you install a non stock battery (ie high capacity) and also many models have one battery between 3 or even more base configurations differing only by screen size and hard drive/memory capacity so this might be a bigger issue than at first glance.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like