back to article Twitter at ten: The social network designed for 2006 struggles into a second decade

Twitter turns 10 today and I, for one, would like to thank for sustaining my career by connecting me to important people and giving Reg writers an almost-car-wreck to chronicle. Some back story: in 2007 an Alpha Geek friend told me about Twitter as we stood in the playground of a school making sure our kids didn't experience …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Getting rid of OAuth ...

... would be a start.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Getting rid of OAuth ... . would be a start.

Anything more to say on that?

1. wolfetone Silver badge

Re: Getting rid of OAuth ... . would be a start.

Make it so that you can filter out the annoying One Direction and Justin Bieber fans. Sick of those bastards clogging up my trending feed with tweets about how they're so upset one of One Direction's dogs have died and that the dog meant so much to them. They really are the arm pit of the Internet.

And if they can do that, could they please make it so that I can automatically unfollow any clown on Twitter who reposts links to The Daily Fail. The sweaty hair growing out of the arm pit of the internet.

2. SuccessCase

Did Simon Sharwood write that entire story just so he could use the excellent description "vox populi" in the title?

I would have done. Superb phrase in relation to Twitter.

1. Simon Sharwood, Reg APAC Editor (Written by Reg staff)

I do my own stunts. And write my own headlines.

Thanks for being nice ;-)

1. ecofeco Silver badge

And a good show sir!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

twitter ruined journalism

I hate vox populi interviews because people are on average, total idiots. Most journalism has become lazy stream of tweets style, only increasing the stupidity.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: twitter ruined journalism

Matthew Wright and Jeremy Kyle did that long before Twitter. Before they came along we had proper journalism with The Sun.

Oh damn.

2. Graham Marsden
      Unhappy

Re: twitter ruined journalism

But why should journalists bother with all that tedious investigation and researching of facts when they can just get ill-informed, ignorant or bigotted Joe and Josephine Public to rabbit on for a while about something they really don't understand?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Another pump and dump share price flotation scam

No doubt powered by Goldman Sachs.

$62 down to $14. Another profitless unicorn bubble goes pop.

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge
      Flame

Re: Another pump and dump share price flotation scam

Another profitless unicorn bubble goes pop.

AKA that's what happened to my pension, because the fund manager's took Goldman's advice, and I didn't even get a t-shirt!

5. gr00001000

Amazing how, by being closed off, Facebook creates it's own ecosystem for users with approved friends, creating a world in which to exist that advertising can be injected into. Twitter just doesn't seem to have gone in the right direction.

6. Paul Crawford Silver badge

Expenses?

Can someone explain how they can have "US$2.2billion of revenue" and be losing money?

To my simple view that would pay for a hell of a lot of serves/bandwidth and a decent number of staff to look after it. So where did the money all go?

1. ecofeco Silver badge

Re: Expenses?

Hey that hipster lifestyle ain't cheap ya know!

7. Charlie Clark Silver badge
    Thumb Down

Still the best vox populi source around?

Twitter is most certainly not vox populi. It, and most of the social networks, are echo chambers largely full of banal and inane drivel. There may be the odd island of coherence but I've never had the patience to search. Especially after I set up my own bot to add join the conversation add to the noise.

The brevity suggests spontaneity and encourages speed and quantity over quality. Much as if you were listening to a slanging match at your child's playground.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Still the best vox populi source around?

"The brevity suggests spontaneity and encourages speed and quantity over quality. Much as if you were listening to a slanging match at your child's playground."

#YourNotMyFriend

#IHateYou

#ThisIsShit

Twitter - an outlet for the stupid, in the language of the banal.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Still the best vox populi source around?

Why did you post the same thing twice? Or is this one of those "retweets" I've been hearing about?

8. FuzzyWuzzys
    Facepalm

British journalism would collapse overnight without Twitter!

1. Oengus

British Global journalism would collapse overnight without Twitter!

And that would probably be a good thing. We might get back to real journalism not "pop" journalism.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like