back to article Microsoft stops accepting Bitcoin in Windows Store

Back in November 2014 Microsoft announced that it had struck a deal with an outfit called Bitpay that would let it accept Bitcoin in the Windows Store. “For us, this is about giving people options and helping them do more on their devices and in the cloud,” Eric Lockard, corporate vice president of Universal Store at Microsoft …

1. Mark 85

Illegal in Russia?

That will kill what appears to be (from all reports) a major income source. I would suspect if that happens, the ransomware miscreants will move to another country.

1. arctic_haze

Re: Illegal in Russia?

Knowing Russia, the reason they banned it is they could not figure who should be shaken down.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Illegal in Russia?

> That will kill what appears to be (from all reports) a major income source.

The mobsters will stop accepting payment for their illegal activities in Bitcoin, just because it has become illegal to accept it?

3. Bob Vistakin
      FAIL

Spotify stops accepting Windows Mobile as a platform

An "App Store" with fewer apps and now fewer ways to buy them.

Spock: "Fascinating."

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"We have always been at War with ....

... Linux, etc ..."

3. werdsmith Silver badge

The price, at over $400 is still holding compared to what it was 12 months ago.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Price maintenance

Yes it's true, demand for Bitcoin has been maintained, and by using ransom-ware as a service, and also by concentrating mining performance into larger consortia within common control. The number of marks is adjustable. If the price threatens to go down, the scammers just need to find and trick more marks to increase demand in order to enable their investments to be cashed out at acceptable prices to them. Interestingly, Bitcoin/conventional exchange prices have stabilised as legitimate uses are driven away from the platform.

4. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Yeah, well, I stopped using Bitcoin years ago when it got all mainstream... *scratches hipster beard*

1. Pseudonymous Diehard

Yeah well

Id tell you what cryptocurrency I use but you've probably never heard of it.

*adjusts scrat, sips PBR and blazes off on his fixie*

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Re: Yeah well

It's Poopcoin, isn't it? Yeah, I bet it is.

5. Lee D Silver badge

"What's a Zune?"

"Precisely".

1. Captain DaFt

Let me show you a neat trick

"What's a Zune?"

"Precisely".

Capitalize the 'a' - like so - 'A'... Now downsize the 'Z' - like so - 'z'.

OK, now slide the 'A' closer to the 'z' - like so - 'Az'.

Now the tricky part.

Erase the second half of the 'n' - like so - 'r'.

There, 'Azure' - look familiar? :)

2. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken
  6. Dwarf

Turning a corner

The first time Microsoft has some something sensible in a long time.

Keep it up. Next you could consider :

Taking a brick and Windows 10 round the back of he shed next. I'm sure you will figure out the next bit.

Stop all the cloud BS

Stop ignoring those who were your supporters. They have the direct link to real customers who ask "how can I..." (Btw the answer they are giving is never Windows 10)

See what you could do with technical people - perhaps some form of set of all your products that can be used for non-production use, evaluation and demonstrating to potential customers. You could call it 'the technical network, or Technet' for short.

Stop copying Apple and Google.

7. Spleen

It would be more accurate to say "Microsoft shuts down automatic Bitcoin conversion service, users will have to convert their currency externally instead".

I very much doubt that anything in the Windows Store was being sold for "10 Bitcoins" or any other fixed number. They would be sold for 10 pounds or 10 dollars and you paid whatever that was worth in Bitcoins at the moment you bought (plus a fee for the conversion). Microsoft weren't taking payment in Bitcoins, they were taking payment in sterling or dollars but providing a means for you to convert Bitcoins to that currency first. Nothing has changed except you now have to convert your Bitcoins to currency yourself.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Which is why the flurry of announcements of 'x now taking payments in bitcoin' when it had its 15 minutes of fame were meaningless. No big retailer ever priced anything in bitcoin, for obvious reasons.

2. Nightkiller

Accepting Bitcoin would have made a lot more sense if the Windows Store had a better selection of DarkWeb apps.

1. Chris King

Accepting Bitcoin would have made a lot more sense if the Windows Store had ANY apps worth a damn.

8. gollux
    Joke

Dang!

Where are all those ExtortionWare people going to spend their BitCoins now?

Expecting to see more of the kind as BitCoin increasingly is used in extortion payment schemes. It's kind of the "Unmarked Bills" thing like you see in the movies, though I never could figure out if the idiots asking for "Unmarked Bills" could tell if they were marked. I always figured it was one of those Hollywoodisms.

9. Old Handle
    Trollface

Ransomware authors need Windows Store apps too!

Wait, that's not true. No one needs Windows Store apps. Never mind.

10. Oh Homer
    Paris Hilton

Wait...

Microsoft has an app store?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like