back to article CGI furnishes filmstar with fur

Film fans are reeling from the latest Sienna Miller outrage, as studio sources reveal that technical wizardry is bestowing upon the actress a CGI-merkin. With the whole Getty-nabbing furore so totally 30 seconds ago, the world is now agog (or at least so her agent would no doubt prefer) for details of the post-production …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. greg
    IT Angle

im sorry, what?

all the alliteration would appear to have made the article's meaning completely disappear for me.

i think i got it...

sienna miller has CGI muff hair in latest film?

damn i hate mondays.

2. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: im sorry, what?

Focus, greg, focus.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm agog

That this is newsworthy

>Sienna's part involved one or two nude scenes

No doubt the offending bush (not GW the female fuzzy bit) was only on dislay for a few frames and it would have been easier to just leave them on the cutting room floor.

Besides anybody who is going to be so titillated by the sight of the fur wouldn't give a toss about whether it was anachronistic or not. Why stop at the fur? Why not give her a full body like what real women used to have. I'm making an assumption here that this Miller woman is on the stick insect side as I've no idea who she is or what she looks like.

4. Hywel Thomas

Nice work if you can get it...

... I wouldn't mind touching her up.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

TLA overload

Is this CGI the language, CGI the image manipulation concept or CGI the IT Services company (whom I work for and would definitely remember this opportunity popping up on the bulletin board)? More specificity in your reporting, please!

6. Spockter Doc

So CGI must stand for...

Composite Growler Inclusion??

7. pintofale
    Coat

Gash moustache

I think the problem was the spring filming schedule.

Budding film producers, please remember: ne'er cast a clout till May be out.

8. The Other Steve
    Coat

Before they start breaking out the CGI minge

How about shoving a few pies down her so she looks lie a real person instead of a wooden spoon with a couple of bits of string tied on it for arms ?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Awesome writing Sarah

Thanks, but since you brought the subject up...

Tom Cruise in 'Valkyrie'.

Not only demands the line 'aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?', but raises the horrifying possibility that he might do an oh-so-serious worthy movie pulling a German accent.

In which case bagsie the popcorn, this could be the most definitive Nazi movie since 'The Producers'.

10. Mike
    Paris Hilton

Reading the profanisaurus?

Wow, so many Viz-isms there. Roger Melly'd be proud of you, lass.

I thought from the title that this was an attempt to appease the anti-fur trade movement by filming scenes without using a genuine fur coat (not a euphemism, I mean the formerly popular posh-totty garment) and superimposing one.

How (pleasantly) wrong can you be?

Paris... does it need explaining??

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

CGI ain't a language

Specificity? A spot of nomenclatural fastidisiousity wouldn't go astray either. It stands for Common Gateway Interface. I bit harsh in this context as I suspect Ms. Miller has a very uncommon Gateway indeed.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Right...

Are you sure BOFH isn't working in a CGI studio in the states somewhere, collecting 'reference material' and doing plenty of 'pick-up shots' ("Yes, this is a 3D scanner, and we do need to have a full 3D model of you from all angles for this..").

Paris. because.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Presumably these digipubes have some onerous acting to do

if a good old-fashioned merkin wouldn't be up to the job. I bet it would still be able to out-act La Miller, though

14. Nick

For clarification only, of course...

...how about a few pix? Macro shots to check the details?

And just how furry IS the camel foot?

15. Pete
    Joke

"Merkin"

I was confused for a bit by "Merkin" as "pubic wig" rather than El Reg's commenters' usual use of it as American. Gives it a whole new twist though.

Merkins, led by a Bush. Got it.

16. Mike

pics - NSFW

pre cgi'd I guess

http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http://hollywood.outsidethebeltway.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/1009_sienna_miller_hippie_nude_03.jpg&imgrefurl=http://gone-hollywood.com/2007/10/sienna-miller-nude-on-set/&h=1500&w=1000&sz=153&hl=en&start=17&um=1&tbnid=oGqcAedZSuGQ0M:&tbnh=150&tbnw=100&prev=/images%3Fq%3DSienna%2BMiller%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26sa%3DN

17. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

wot a cop out!

c/o strategicly placed leaves.....

boooooo....

;P

18. Glenn Amspaugh
    IT Angle

They didn't like her being from Brazil?

So they made her a 'Merkin? What kind of casting/director demands are going on here?

/I don't know what "IT?" is all about, either.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

@Mike

You've obviously not head of tinyurl.com...

http://tinyurl.com/siennasbush

20. Kevin Reader
    Coat

And they said there was no future in graphics...

Sarah: stunning sub title - was it added in postproduction!

Now they always said that either Shatner's or Connery's hairpiece ought to be nominated as best supporting actor. So may this should be up (or downy) for best supporting actress (or actress support).

Just a raincoat.

21. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

If you really want to see the brazilian

it's on a site named What Would Tyler Durden Do. Yahoo it.

Paris because that's the site who did the internet petition to make sure she was locked up.

22. David Willis
    Happy

Marathon Man

If anybody remebers the movie Marathon Man ( Sir Laurence Olivier & Dustin Hoffman) there is a scene where DUstin is tortured and has his teeth pulled by the bad guy (Sir LO).

Dustin was expected to look like he hadn't slept for 72hrs. So in true Dustin Hoffman form, he simply didn't sleep for 72hrs before doing the scene.

After the Scene DH was commenting on his methods of doing the scene. Sir LO was heard to comment, "why don't you just try acting old boy".

23. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

What happens next is private / it's also very rude

"naughty naked nude" - Ian Dury, "Wake Up And Make Love with Me", there you go.

I recall a film from a while back that had a similar CGI effect, to add more pubic hair. It was a British film, expanded from a short; set in a supermarket. It was about a man who could freeze time, and he used this to paint naked women, and in a flashback sequence there was some extra CGI pubicity. It was mentioned in the film's commentary track.

Damned if I can remember the name though. Something to do with supermarkets - Cashback, or Checkout.

24. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: What happens next is private / it's also very rude

*touches nose, points*

Choon, etc.

25. alyn
    Paris Hilton

Been there, done that

When I was working in the BBC in the 80's a certain English actress wouldn't appear topless so she wore a flesh-coloured bra.The BBC boffins repainted on her nipples in the editing suite. I used to have a freeze-frame of the relevent scene. Purely to admire the skills of the technicians, of course

26. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

I'm surprised...

When I read the article my first thought was "how far down the comments list before the first ungallant query about the moderatrix's waxing habits?".

I'm surprised, guys. I really am.

27. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: I'm surprised...

It was the third or fourth one. I nixed it. One does not discuss one's bikini regime. So think on.

Anyway, since I'm entirely computer-generated myself, it's a moot point.

28. Trix
    Paris Hilton

Oh dear

Totally seconded on Ms Miller copping out by not throwing herself into the no-wax breach. Where is the method? I managed to burn my eyes looking at the pre-CGI pic - not to diss one of the sisters, but perhaps that was as much regrowth she could summon up in the time required.

Honestly, who wants a snatch that looks like Hitler's moustache? Ok, the Amazonian rainforest look might be too much these days - although not back in the 60s - but let's not get into Brazilian slash-and-burn overcompensation.

/Paris, for obvious reasons. Gosh, I'm using her a lot lately... although a bit later than everyone else.

29. Daniel
    Boffin

@alyn

typical beeb. Why didn't they just paint nipples onto the flesh coloured bra?

30. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

English company did vfx on hippy hippy shave

http://dneg.com/projects/projects_list.html

they also worked on hot fuzz ... even vfx places get typecast

PH, even though this easily passes the "PH angle", because thanks to the pigment-agnostic behaviour of IR video photography could have done with help from the bbc's nipple painting department. And a better cameraman.

31. alyn

CGI

CGI in this context means Computer Graphics Imagery

This topic is closed for new posts.