back to article Amazon Shocker: Firm recalls Fire and Fire Kids power adapters

Amazon is the latest fondleslab maker to initiate a voluntary recall and exchange programme for potentially shock-inducing power adapters. The affected adapters for the seven inch Fire and Fire Kids Edition slabs were sold only in the UK and Republic of Ireland from September last year. “We have determined that, in rare cases …

1. Anonymous Custard
    Joke

Turning it up to 11...

"Microsoft confirmed that power chords sold with the first, second and third generations of the Surface Pro"

Certainly not music to Microsoft's ears, those power chords. Too reminiscent of the 90's poodle-haired rockers. Especially if the power cord falls out...

Still it could have been worse, it could have been a U2 album.

1. Warm Braw

Re: Turning it up to 11...

chords being "wound too tightly, twisted or pinched over an extended period of time"

Sounds more like Rick Wakeman...

2. HamsterNet

Oooo £12

Not seen the fabled power block falling apart yet, but the micro USB cable they supply is poor quality and breaks very easily for a child proofed tablet.

1. goldcd

Yeah

I've managed to kill two phones by using the beautifully long (and piss-poorly made) Kindle USB cables I'd accumulated (smokey smelling USB ports on the phone and darkened insulation on the cables).

They really should have a word with whoever it is that's shaving the pennies off the bundled accessories on the pretty solid products.

Maybe that's where Apple actually do seem to have an upper hand - everything in the box you get seems to have come under the same rigorously judgemental eye.

2. tmTM

Re: Oooo £12

Considering the tablet was on sale in the Black Friday deals for £35 I think?

£12 back on that isn't too shabby at all.

3. Robert Sneddon

Received the recall email yesterday

I'll probably take the 12 quid credit as I'm not actually using the wallwart adaptor that came with my Fire tablet (it was an Xmas present) anyway. They said they'll send a prepaid envelope to return it.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What a Power Chord might look like....

ROCK!

5. Gannettt

The jokes write themselves!

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Obligatory:The Crazy World of Arthur Brown

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdLSfXnxahs

I am the god of Amazon Fire and I'll send you a replacement power supply.

1. Fatman
      Flame

RE: Obligatory:The Crazy World of Arthur Brown

Thanks for that blast from the past.

The 30-somethings around here, well..........

7. Old Handle
    Joke

Who would have thought something called "Fire Kids power adapter" could be dangerous?!

8. BearishTendencies

Was really easy.....

Until I needed two of them for both my kids devices.....Then I had to order them then have Amazon credit me back for one of them. The code is limited to one per account, not one per purchased device.....

1. Bassey

Re: Was really easy.....

I'm having the same problem. Just contacted them to ask how I replace the second one (although we don't use the second one so I'd happily take the £12 credit). There are also LOADS of people complaining that the code for getting the charger for free doesn't work at checkout. I had it fail for me once but then it worked the next time. Amazon do seem to be doing the right thing - just not very well

9. phuzz Silver badge
    Facepalm

I sent this story to my brother, as I know he's picked up one of their cheap tablets. His reply?

"I did get an email from Amazon about chargers but I thought it was a generic one about hover boards."

It's a good thing I'm around to do tech support for the whole family really.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like