back to article Salesforce.com storage fail causes lengthy outage

One of Salesforce.com's European instances is enduring a lengthy un-planned PITSTOP incident – that's a Partial Inability To Support Totally Optimal Performance, a whit below our other status indicator of a Total Inability To Support Usual Performance or TITSUP. Salesforce's ”trust” page (that's what the company calls what any …

1. wx666z

Pestilence

Now retired but last place I worked enforced the use of Salesforce. Complete waste of my and my customer's time and my employer's money.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Re: Pestilence

Because Excel sheets are best?

Waste of my time

Yep, it's definitely time to not be employed.

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Holmes

On Informative Corporospeak Statements (OICS)

“We have determined that the issue was caused by a storage failure, which impacted communication to the storage tier”

So the failure was caused by a failure, which caused things to fail?

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Re: On Informative Corporospeak Statements (OICS)

Sorry, but I fail to understand that.

3. dshaw111

Cloud is not best - discuss

The Cloud (aka Internet) is not the answer to business problems but the source of many issues.

It is best to always make sure your CRM Business Database is synchronised to your office Servers/PCs to protect your business when the Cloud is broken.

'Cloud' is not 'Blue Sky' and those looking to choose SF should seriously consider the 'Buyer Beware' warning in their small print!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Cloud is not best - discuss

And, by that logic, synchronize all on prem to the cloud in the, much more likely, event that your on prem environment is down for maintenance or an unplanned outage.

This cloud hand wringing is strange. Your external network is entirely in the "cloud" and always has been. Without an external network, your IT services would be completely crippled. Notice how little sleep you lose over the idea that your network is in the AT&T, etc "cloud". Do you drag fiber to all your sites around the world in case AT&T has a network issue?

1. Vic

Re: Cloud is not best - discuss

the, much more likely, event that your on prem environment is down for maintenance or an unplanned outage.

I kep hearing this - usually from ACs here. I don't buy it.

Looking at the downtime for any of the major cloud providers over the last year, I'd be ashamed if my on-premises stuff were that unreliable.

Without an external network, your IT services would be completely crippled

Not so. Certain forms of communication might be a little harder than normal - but all internal work would carry on regardless.

Vic.

4. CloudReadyMark

Because you can do it better?

Should we infer that the average SME can deliver better availability / performance than orgs whose existence is dependant upon it? Really? I work with many orgs from SME to large global enterprise - who tell me the vast majority of problems & incidents with their cloud apps like salesforce, office 365, box, workday, etc - arent with the cloud provider, but have something to do with something they mucked up within their own network/infrastructure, or something mucked up by their ISP. Are you saying let's go back to paper and pen and avoid the Internet? Just don't run of pads and ink then.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Because you can do it better?

Exactly. I would seriously doubt anyone could, over time, out perform the cloud providers. Think about if you had to send an email to every employee in your company every time an IT service was not even down, but momentarily performance degraded.

As I said above, a critical component of your IT infrastructure (network) has always been in the network (AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, Orange, etc) cloud. No one thinks anything of it.

5. John 104

So much for HA

Embarrassing that a company as large as salesforce doesn't have better redundancy in their architecture.

6. Crazy Operations Guy

They really need to produce an on-prem version.

My view of the cloud is that it is supposed to supplement on-site software by acting as a backup, provide temporary capacity, or for use by employees out in the field.

I work in a support role and it bothers me that any update I make to an account has to leave the local network, work its way across the world to a datacenter on the other side of the planet, then work its way through the application's layer to a db, and then back again to my coworker who sits within arm's reach of my desk (who is the only one that will ever consume the data I entered) ...

1. dshaw111

Re: They really need to produce an on-prem version.

Hey Crazy Operations Guy! You should look at the act crm for this on-prem and synched to cloud system. See act.com for details.

7. ecofeco Silver badge

How's that cloud thing workin for ya?

I never get tired of saying this.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like