back to article Brit brewer opensources entire recipe archive

Scottish brewer BrewDog has agreeably released its entire recipe back catalogue, encompassing the 215 beers developed during its almost 10-year history. From humble home-brewing origins, James Watt and Martin Dickie have grown BrewDog to an international craft beer operation. Along the way, they've claimed the "world's …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Founder gave entertaining talk at LSE recently

Business for Punks :

http://www.lse.ac.uk/publicEvents/events/2016/01/20160119t1830vOT.aspx

1. Unep Eurobats
      Pint

Re: Founder gave entertaining talk at LSE recently

You forgot this -->

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: Founder gave entertaining talk at LSE recently

That needs topping up, surely?

2. Anonymous Blowhard
    Pint

In these days of bitter IP battles, it's easy to forget that it isn't always what's in a product that inspires customer and brand loyalty; sometimes it's the way that you do business and the way you present yourself that makes all the difference. Hats off to these guys for having the confidence to do this.

Also, beer!

1. David Nash Silver badge
      Joke

Bitter IP Battles?

Bitter IPA battles

FITY

1. Anonymous Blowhard

Re: Bitter IP Battles?

@David Nash

I can't believe I set that one up for you; I think the beer was distracting me (at the time it was a long way off beer-o'clock).

2. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Or more cynically./ They are better than BudMillerBerg - but are they really so much better than Black Sheep or Theakstones, or are they just more media-savy than a bunch of Yorkshiremen

1. djack

I love both BrewDog and Black Sheep style beers.

technically, what BrewDog do are more American style* 'craft beet' as opposed to traditional 'real ale'. The differences between them are fairly subtle yet can be highly political - CAMRA seem to have a real bee in the bonnet about this style of drink. As I'm a BrewDog shareholder and a CAMRA member, I sometimes think I should be punching myself in the face.

CAMRA should concern themselves with helping independent brewers respond to the inadequacies of products churned out by the likes of Diageo and InBev insrtead of vilifying other equally passionate brewers with slightly different ideas of what can be done.

* IMPORTANT : This is modern 'American Style', typically highly flavourful and heavily hopped, strong beer as opposed to the swill that many people associate with American beer.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

I live in the PNW the American beer here is now very good - assuming you buy beer and not fizzy gnat's piss. They do seem to think IPA is the only craft beer, and it's a lot more flavoured than an IPA back home but very nice.

2. bitmap animal

I went to a blind beer tasting recently, there was a homebrew, micro brewery and a mass produced beer. Most of us preferred the homebrew, the micro brewery one was interesting but very unusual and not to most peoples taste. The mass produced one was OK, but lost out by a long shot to the home brew.

I was very surprised to find that the mass produced was a Brew Dog beer, reading that post about CAMRA I can now see why they did that. I certainly would not compare B.G. to what I'd call mass produced.

2. Vic

but are they really so much better than Black Sheep or Theakstones

Yes.

Vic.

3. Andy Mc
    Thumb Up

What jolly decent people.... :)

4. Slartybardfast
    Pint

I've just had a look and not only have they given away the recipies they have produced a very good quick start guide and pdf book. Well done to all concerned.

5. TheProf
    Happy

Wonderful!

What a nice bunch of people.

And what great names they have for their brews.

Downloaded DIYDOG. Full of humour. If only more companies were like this etc.............

1. davidp231

Re: Wonderful!

Tactical Nuclear Penguin. . That is all.

6. BugabooSue
    Pint

Smart Advertising!

I think that was one of the (hopefully!) smartest thing these guys have done!!

They ARE going to get ripped-off by other brewers out there, but it got my notice - just placed an order for £130 of beer from them :)

Why?

1. I *LOVE* beer!

2. Reading their web-pages made me feel that they are the "good guys", and I want to support them. Especially as the few of beers I've tried in the past have had really interesting flavours.

3. Did I mention that I love beer...?

Thanks BrewDog, "You da Man! Er, Men!!" :D

7. chivo243 Silver badge
    Pint

new project!

I have wondered about home brewing, it seems like a nice addition to my interest to cooking!

1. Robert Helpmann??
      Childcatcher

Re: new project!

It is definitely a worthwhile endeavor. While I sometimes take my enthusiasm for cooking to extremes, I feel there is little more satisfying than sharing a meal in which every item served, both food and drink, I put together myself. Good luck with your first batch!

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: new project!

Might be tempted by one of these one day (once the price has halved, I remain a Yorkshireman) picobrew

8. Bob Wheeler
    Pint

Sage advice

"Oh, and if you are from one of the global beer mega corporations and you are reading this, your computer will spontaneously combust, James Bond style, any second now. So leave the building immediately and seriously consider your life choices."

9. Androgynous Cupboard Silver badge
  10. Ugotta B. Kiddingme
    Happy

what great news for ANY day

although I am not a home brewer, at least two friends/coworkers are so (hopefully) SCORE!

THANK YOU Brew Dog!

11. flokie

Call me a killjoy, but I for one finds their 'marketing for punks' really rather annoying.I know it's Friday but everyone here seems so enthusiastic and I can't fathom why.

I was quite disappointed the last couple of times I had their beers. A Punk IPA that tasted like flat fruit juice. And their draught lager is really just a plain boring lager. If you want to try a nice lager from a Scottish brewery, Harviestoun's Schiehallion is a much better choice. The Williams Brothers lager isn't bad either.

Then there's also this in the news today:

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/14304753.Cheers__Glasgow_pub_allows_your__dug__to_have_a_pint/

*sigh*

That recipe book is cool though - I'll definitely pass it on to some people I know do home brewing.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Dog, penguin...snake?

I'd also add that their founder has in the past displayed what I can only call a proclivity to questionable business ethics. Not the marketing bombast which he so obviously loves (and is very good at) but the 'not acting like a dick towards business colleagues and partners' thing.

Yes, that is the sound of an axe being ground you can hear so I'll say no more about it other than I'd advise being very careful before entering into any more complex than a transaction to buy one of their beers in a pub/supermarket.

Anon because etc.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Dog, penguin...snake?

I've heard similar tales - have an upvote.

2. Vic

A Punk IPA that tasted like flat fruit juice

Punk IPA is very bright and somewhat hoppy.

If yours tasted flat - there was something wrong with it. Did you see the bottle being opened?

Vic.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This lot deserve a memtion

www.wildbeerco.com - Very interesting stufff

1. Vic

Re: This lot deserve a memtion

www.wildbeerco.com - Very interesting stufff

They came to the pub on Wednesday to judge the Bread & Pickles competiton. And to drink beer, of course - we had a Wild Beer Tap Takeover :-)

But if you're going to spell "stuff" with three "f"s, you might want to look towards Four Marks...

Vic.

13. Vic

For those anywhere near Southampton...

BrewDog are opening up a pub in April.

We're doing well for pubs at present - the Butcher's Hook, the Overdraft, the Bookshop and others. It's a fine time to be drinking beer :-)

Vic.

1. BeerTokens

Re: For those anywhere near Southampton...

If you like brewdog and live near soton you need to try vibrant forest beers.

Just be prepared to have your taste buds assaulted!!!

1. Vic

Re: For those anywhere near Southampton...

If you like brewdog and live near soton you need to try vibrant forest beers.

Ho yuss.

We brewed with them last summer. It seems to have gone down rather well :-)

Vic.

14. michael_h
    Happy

This is fairly common of American breweries. Generally there is a 'help line' (via email) that you can contact if things go sideways for you. Once, I had a batch come out a little bit off and the head brewer had me bring him a sample so he could help pinpoint where things went wrong.

1. Jan 0 Silver badge
      Headmaster

You can always spot US American "English" by the inappropriate prepositions.

s/of/for/

Mind you, full marks for including the conjunction in the next sentence!

1. Havin_it
        Holmes

Re: You can always spot US American "English" by the inappropriate prepositions.

OP's use of "of" is perfectly cromulent, and suggesting otherwise is quite unctuous of you.

15. ShadowDragon8685

Hrm...

Did they OPEN SOURCE it, or release it under a Creative Commons license of some sort, such as, say, a Share Alike Noncommercial?

The difference is important, because if they fully Opensourced it, there's literally nothing to stop, say, those wankers who own Budweiser or someone from cooking right out of their recipe book at industrial scale and flogging it.

1. TeeCee Gold badge
      WTF?

Have you considered the possibility that they might regard getting Anheuser-Busch InBev or similar to produce this sort of beer as the world's most massive fucking win of all time?

There are people out there who just like to share stuff and are prepared to do so without your having to sit through a tedious lecture on what their idea of the meaning of the word "share" actually is.

1. ShadowDragon8685

Given their virulently angry stance towards Anheuser-Busch InBev and other big beer companies which buy up craft beer breweries and gut their carcasses to sell expensive pisswater under their names in order to sleaze their regular pisswater into the shelves of stores that were otherwise perfectly happy selling the craft beers?

I considered it, and rejected it. It seems to me that BrewDog are going to be kicking themselves in the head if Anheuser-Busch InBev starts proudly brewing their beers - or worse, inferior versions of their beers - with the label "Right out of BrewDog's recipe book - and cheaper!"

16. Bob Rocket
    Pint

It turned my bottom lip green

There is only one beer for me

Dr. O'Reilly's Blitzkreig ME109

http://viz.co.uk/dr-oreillys-blitzkreig-ale/

Well done to BrewDog

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Open Source Beer

I am involved in opening a high-end hotel which will eventually brew its own beer. Beers from this book will definitely be in our starting lineup, and we will have the printed book available for our guests to browse at the bar, we hope this will provide benefits back to BrewDog by allowing people to try the beer in a place that it would not have been available before.

Like all open source projects, it may be a while before they see a monetary effect but the influence will run deep.

Congrats and thanks BrewDog, this is a forward-thinking way of doing business.

18. Oengus
    Pint

260 week days in a year

Less 20 days of Annual Leave

Less 10 days Public Holidays

Less 10 days Sick leave

Less 5 days “Take 5” (An employer supplied benefit for taking your annual leave)

Leaves 215 working days.

215 BrewDog beers - Coincidence?

Time to start brewing...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon