back to article Sub-atomic boffins glimpse four-pack tetraquark

Sub-atomic boffins believe they've found evidence for the existence of a new "tetraquark" particle comprised, as the name suggests, of four quarks. Scientists working on the DZero Experiment, using data collected between 2002 and 2011 by Fermilab's Tevatron collider, sniffed for a postulated particle containing two mesons ( …

1. schlechtj

Yaay Tevatron!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yes, Many congrats, but the tevatron was shutdown in 2011. . .

I visited in the nineties, nice multi-storey office block in the middle of a herd of Bison/cow-things, my job interview at FNAL consisted of being driven around central Chicago at 90mph by squiffy scientists looking for the bar with the girls in it - we never found that bar, but at least they've nailed a quadra-quark!(tetraquark likely will be sued by tetrapak?)

the job interview at CEBAF (as it was, before Thos.Jefferson appellation made it easier to spell than continuous electron beam accelerating facility) was much better as it took place in a bowling-alley in Newport News. Unfortunately I had to turn the job-offer down as the local supermarket wouldn't sell me alcohol unless I could show five separate ID documents proving my majority.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
        Paris Hilton

But DZero collaborative IS a Tevatron team?

1. Lester Haines (Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

Clarification

The DZero Collaborative is an acid house outfit, fronted by Four-pack Tetraquark and produced by Tevatron.

2. just another employee

Sorry, What?

I had mute on. Can you repeat that please?

3. Little Mouse
    Alien

If Four-pack Tetraquark isn't already an Iain M Banks character, he/she/it damn well should be.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

BS meson

I'm detecting BS too.

5. Custard Fridge

Holy underpants

Look, it's Friday afternoon, I've had a week of SAP training and this is simply too much. My. Brain. Hurts.

1. Lester Haines (Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

Re: Holy underpants

Take a beer. That's what I'm doing - a tetraquaff in fact of four bottled liveners.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

And a quadro-pounder with cheese. That's four pounds of meat.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"And a quadro-pounder with cheese. That's four pounds of meat."

Damn. The underpants don't stand a chance.

1. Neanderthal Man

"Damn. The underpants don't stand a chance."

That why I go commando....

2. Mark 85

Is that with bacon or without? Inquiring minds and all that.........

6. Arthur the cat Silver badge

Tetraquark

That's the one with the mylar lining between the cardboard layers to keep the contents fresh isn't it?

7. Asterix the Gaul

I also detect B$.

This sounds like the typical history re-write by Americans,maybe they are attempting a Nobel hijack for it?

Does not the article state that Physicist 'nail' this one last year at CERN,even if they comprise different nationalities at work there.

1. s5PGmU

The last paragraph is referring to the pentaquark, not this newly discovered tetraquark, FYI.

8. MD Rackham

I have nothing against mesons, but I just don't think they should be allowed to marry.

I don't expect any such marriage would last, in any case.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

One should not resist true love, however fleeting.

9. Mikey

Oh god, it's a sad day for humanity if indeed our most basic particles truly are bouncing around this universe with labels written in comic sans...

1. kryptonaut

bouncing around this universe with labels written in comic sans...

Cosmic sans?

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Cosmic Sans?

Someone should design that!

(Don't look at me. I tried my hand at designing a font once, but the results were met with little enthusiasm. Very little enthusiasm. In fact it would be fair to say that any enthusiasm encountered would have registered negative readings on the enthusiasm-o-meter if there was such a device.)

10. Tim Gershon

Not confirmed by LHCb

With a much larger data sample, and less background, the LHCb collaboration does not confirm this claim:

http://lhcbproject.web.cern.ch/lhcbproject/Publications/LHCbProjectPublic/LHCb-CONF-2016-004.html

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon