back to article JavaScript daddy's Brave ad-blocker hits Android, Apple stores

An open-source browser capable of blocking annoying mobile ads is available for download from the Apple and Google stores. Called Brave, it’s the work of JavaScript daddy Brendan Eich and his new firm Brave Software. Brave hit Apple’s iPhones and iPads last week and is reported to have landed on Google’s Play for Android only …

1. James 51

DNT is just a request. When IE was going to have it on my default a lot of website owners said they were going to ignore it as they assumed the user didn't know it was their and wanted to 'improve the user experience'.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Should have called it PDTMB (Please don't track me bro)

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What I want is an iOS blocker extension, not a browser

I already have an ad-blocking browser on my iDevices, thanks very much. Since Safari is their non-overridable default browser, I'd be interested if Brave were something that fitted into Safari/IOS' Content Blocking framework (although not interested enough to get into the Bitcoin economy when that aspect of Brave comes along), but, as it is, sorry.

1. O RLY

Re: What I want is an iOS blocker extension, not a browser

Wow, iCab! Thanks AC! This brings some nostalgia as I used the browser on my Macs back in late '90s and didn't realise they had resumed releasing browsers. The download page indicates I am 8 years late in learning that, but that makes my day!

2. Steve Todd

Try "Magic", once the HPE ads got too anoying on el reg I installed that and haven't looked back.

3. Youngdog

Have you tried Purity? Not perfect but does at least allow you to browse in Safari

1. Youngdog

I've just downloaded Brave and it seems quite good so far - I might have to put this on my home page if I don't have any problems soon

1. sbishop

Try Metiix Blockade, it is free and it blocks everything. It is not browser based but rather DNS Based. This simply means it will protect every device on your network no matter what browser you choose. Protect all of your network and wifi connected devices with one license (phones, tablets, pc, servers). Blockade stops ads, malicious sites, and all tracking and profile software. http://www.metiix.com/blockade - available for Linux, Windows, and Raspbery Pi.

3. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Good luck with Bitcoin stuff

Very hip and all that but will exclude about 99.9% of the world. Blockchains are interesting, crypto-currencies aren't.

hm, maybe a browser from PayPal would work for micropayments… Must rush off to get funding.

In any case the days of the ad networks are limited. They're annoying for users and inefficient for advertisers. Much better to sign up for a vertically integrated network with detailed information about the users. We're seeing this with Facebook and Apple's content offerings. No doubt Google, with all that YouTube experience, also has something in the works. And, if the ads are provided the OS then ad-blockers are going to have their work cut out for them.

1. Paul Shirley

Re: Good luck with Bitcoin stuff

Serving adds on the content site would arguably be better in the long term, it ties legal liability directly to the site serving it. Won't take many lawsuits for them to magically do what's been impossible so far and sanitise the shit.

Only then can we have a debate with the shit slingers about what's acceptable and fair. Perhaps remind them workable add filters existed before ads were farmed out to external sites.

2. breakfast Silver badge

Re: Good luck with Bitcoin stuff

I actually think being able to do micropayments for content I have enjoyed is pretty great idea, but it needs to be ridiculously frictionless if I'm actually to use it because I like the idea of paying creators for good content but I am also exceptionally lazy.

4. Sebastian A

Just installed it

Seems to work, but the full adblocking functionality isn't available on anything less than Android 5, so not great for older devices unfortunately.

5. Aslan

DNT is not a valid option and not having it enabled doesn't mean one doesn't care about privacy. The FCC has declined to provide legal enforcement, and many ad networks ignore it. Simply blocking all ad networks, now that's effective. How do you like that Gavin Clarke? Are you convinced I care about privacy?

I like the idea of Brave. It offers users less intrusive advertising, or none altogether, while protecting privacy. No one has made website micropayments work yet, but this looks like it might. Content creators deserve payment for their work. I'm looking forward to seeing how this plays out and am hoping it's a success.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It may be Brave

But is it free and open source? I didn't seem to find it over at F-Droid.

7. MrWibble

You forgot to mention that it's not a "new" browser, but an upgrade / rename of an existing one:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/02/24/link-bubble-is-now-officially-brave-browser-ad-blocking-and-tracking-protection-are-live/

8. OffBeatMammal

Wired

looks like the folks at Conde Nast are trying the option of paying to avoid ads - if you have an ad blocker, they block you unless you buy a subscription. Sadly the price tag for that subscription (especially as I still have a subscription to their magazine) seems disproportionate to what they'd be earning from the advertisers if I was putting up with the crap they think is "acceptable and in keeping with their content" (seriously, I will never drink Gatorade, even without full screen take over ads putting me off the idea!) ... I like the idea of a micropayment scheme where I could pay the same rate as the advertiser to the hosting network not to show me crap. But then again it's easier to just cross Wired off my list for now

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I think because the other projects are failing is the reason a hint of money is being directly tied to this. Which hopefully now with an incentive of money, things may be steered in another path. I'm not sure ifI like what I'm reading, but I remember when people thought the complexities of PayPal woyld surely seal it's doom.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like