back to article Yahoo! axes! websites! you've! never! heard! of! and! lays! off! staff!

Yahoo! has eliminated seven of its digital publications as the sputtering web giant continues to cut costs. The Purple Palace confirmed on Wednesday that it was eliminating the Yahoo! Food, Health, Parenting, Makers, Travel, Auto, and Real Estate cyber-magazines. With the cuts comes the loss of a number of jobs including, …

1. Andy Non Silver badge

Yahoo had digital publications?

Who knew?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Good, hope they tank.

Grievance: Can't set up anon account-have to give legit phone nombor phuq dat

1. joed

Re: Good, hope they tank.

It's getting frickin hard to get a free email account without supplying phone # (and soon cc and ssn). And for what - crap like junkmail on yahoo?. Oh well, life goes on and no need to check email. There's no way I'd provide some Internet site with my real creds - these are reserved for real businesses (and even then not given up easily).

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Posting anon here as I'm sure I'll get flamed to oblivion.

Providing an email service costs money (servers, infrastructure, bandwidth , associated people costs) and that cost has to be covered somehow. It really gets my goat when people start expecting stuff totally for free.

If you really need a spam bucket, do what I do.

- Buy your own domain, get a reasonably-priced hosting package

- Set up your own email for that server, e.g. me@mydomain.co.uk

- Any time you need to sign up to something, use a new address, e.g. elreg@mydomain.co.uk

- Configure the email server to redirect all inbound mail to that address to /dev/null

(and stop whinging that people won't just give you stuff for free, with no benefit to themselves, you tight-arsed so-and-so)

1. Crazy Operations Guy

"Configure the email server to redirect all inbound mail to that address to /dev/null"

Then why create the account in the first place? If you're just throwing the account away like that, then you could just as well a fake address to begin with.

I do something similar, except I use the maildir format and just drop it into a directory. I dropped a cheap 1 TB disk onto my mail server (Actually an old disk from when I upgraded my NAS), so I can store my junk mail for many many years. There might be something useful in there, or at the very least, useful data to train my spam filters.

3. DToma

Funny...

This is the first I've read anything about Yahoo having digital publications. Oh, well, I'm sure there are many other digital publications to peruse.

4. Youngone Silver badge

Me too

I have never heard of any of these Yahoo publications either, I also cannot for the life me figure out why Yahoo would employ these people to write what I'm going to assume are clickbait articles.

No-one else does, they are all contractors, paid by the word which is nice when you don't want to buy their words anymore.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

15% or so

15% or so in London, apparently

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

$400 Million

I just can't imagine how Yahoo is going to trim $400 Million in expense annually.

Also, I can't imagine what Yahoo does that could conceivably be worth $ 400 Million annually.

7. Bota
    FAIL

The cuts come as Yahoo! finds itself in an increasingly desperate struggle to stay afloat and remake itself under CEO Marissa Mayer - We just NEED more women in tech.

1. John Tserkezis

"remake itself under CEO Marissa Mayer - We just NEED more women in tech."

I would have hinted towards one LESS Marissa, and more of any other kind of woman.

Just based on the bang up job she's doing.

1. Captain DaFt

"I would have hinted towards one LESS Marissa"

We need a lot less of her type of management skills, male or female.

Odd thing, the warning sign is always right there when they make a statement when taking the position.

Anyone that comes into a job, announcing all the solutions to all the company's woes before they've even bothered with such banalities as taking interviews with staff, consulting department heads, and taking a good hard look at the company's ledgers, should be immediately barred from the premises and terminated as incurably stupid.

1. Franco

When the head of a tech company announces she is "too busy" to have her iPhone PIN protected the alarm bells really went off.

Mind you, this is the first article I've seen about Yahoo! in a long time without a photo of her attached....

8. Grikath

Merging Yahoo! and AOL...

What would you get by mating two zombies? One wonders...

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: Merging Yahoo! and AOL...

I remember that when Unisys was formed by merging Sperry & Burroughs someone said it was on the principle that two rocks tied together would float.

1. Roo
        Windows

"the principle that two rocks tied together would float."

Classic, thanks for that one Doc.

2. Uncle Slacky Silver badge

I think that merger was also described as "dinosaurs mating".

2. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Possibly a new strain of super-zombie that can't be stopped by any means?

1. herman

There are some floating stone fragments in a little town in western Saudi Arabia.

9. Ynox

Think it's time Yahoo! was taken out to pasture. And shot.

It's had its day - time to stop flogging the dead donkey.

10. Potemkine Silver badge

Yahoo is to web portals

what the Daily Mail is to scientific literature. By going to the lower standards Yahoo! was on the highway to Hell... it seems that the final toll station isn't far away.

11. Captain Dallas

Thank goodness Meyer sorted out those pesky workers that didn't come into the office.

I guess the dividends from all those watercooler chats will be rolling in any day now.

1. Hans Neeson-Bumpsadese Silver badge

Rest assured, there will soon be a lot more people not coming into the office

12. Florida1920
    Holmes

In early February Yahoo shared a plan for the future

The only plausible future is one in which Yahoo! no longer exists.

1. Commswonk

Re: In early February Yahoo shared a plan for the future

The only plausible future is one in which Yahoo! no longer exists.

Perhaps oddly I hope you are wrong; I am a member of several Yahoo Groups and I (and many others) would miss them if they ceased to exist, given that we haven't found another "forum supplier" that provides the same functionality. Being realistic someone might realise that "Groups" are (probably) a cost centre and not a profit centre in which case their loss might be imminent.

Not being a Yahoo expert can anyone tell me if Yahoo has any revenue stream other than advertising income? I count myself as something of an expert at ignoring advertisements completely, other than those very annoying ones that appear right in the middle of something you are reading and which refuse to go away until sometime later.

It would be interesting* to be wearing a sphygmomanometer when one of those materialises...

*or terrifying...

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: In early February Yahoo shared a plan for the future

"given that we haven't found another "forum supplier" that provides the same functionality."

I've no idea what functionality Yahoo provides but why not try setting up Usenet groups?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like