back to article Nutanix updates its stack, not just to distract you from EMC's big day

Nutanix has chosen today, the day of EMC's hyper-converged launch, to update its own hyper-converged stack. El Reg understands the timing is a little bit deliberate, but also a little bit fortuitous: Nutanix wanted this release to come out in January, but didn't quite make it in time. We also understand that internal …

1. Alister

Whenever I see the word Nutanix, for some reason I think it's a health food brand...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Apparently Acropolis is a reference architecture for citrix too~~~ and VDI solutions.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not seeing any update available here on my Nutanix POC cluster.

4. pyite

You said: " Nutanix reckons users won't always want the whistles and bells of ESX or Hyper-V and therefore offers its own Acropolis hypervisor"

But they are using a QEMU-KVM based hypervisor, aren't they? This is as good as ESX and Hyper-V, and better in many ways.

Though admittedly, I haven't yet looked at the subset of features that they expose.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Moving workloads between hypervisors is irrelevant

"Making such moves is touted as ideal as developers take apps from dev to test to staging to production."

That problem has long been solved by containers moving across hypervisors and across Linux distributions. Developer community moved on from VMs some time ago. You are way too late guys, sorry.

Nobody who develops applications today relies on something that Nutanix provides. Nor is Nutanix providing anything that makes application lifecycle easier or faster. That's what PaaS offerings provide.

Your stuff is only interesting for IT shops who are destined to run legacy virtualization only and as such are facing huge cost pressure and not seeing any increase in budget. That's because innovation is happening elsewhere. Combining storage and hypervisor on a single system is not innovative enough. Nutanix pricing is not helping either.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like