back to article Thanks for the extra memories, folks: Say hi to GridGain

GridGain Systems software provides an in-memory facility for running transactions, streaming and analytics applications using clustered x86 server nodes in a grid defined by a distributed, massively parallel architecture. It says its software enables such applications to run thousands of times faster than on disk-based systems …

1. werdsmith Silver badge

From the title I clicked because I thought this was going to be a piece about valves (vacuum tubes).

Disappointed.

2. David Dawson

This article sponsored by GridGain, world leader in In Memory Data Grids.

I didn't think The Register did Editorials? What's happened guys? The joy has been leeched out. Biting the hand that feeds IT? Not for the past couple of months.

To bring a little balance to this.

Check out :-

* SAP Hana/ as mentioned. My review - too expensive, IDE is awful, obsessed with a database

* Gemfire/ Apache Geode. Geode (open source) lags Gemfire slightly due to it recently open sourcing. A very nice product otherwise. Lots of use in finance, it's first niche (eg, fraud detection stuff)

* Hazelcast - Good history, has always been open source and so has overall greater adoption than gemfire. nice integration with jvm collections.

* Coherence - not sure where this is up to now ... It's oracle. I can't bring myself to bite down on their contractuals.

* Terracotta - Was the hot thing 4 years ago in this space. The model didn't seem to catch on. It's more focused on being able to address a theoretically infinitely large JVM heap space. Different to the others in that they give access via a particular API, whereas terracotta appears to be local memory.

So, there we go.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Editorial? Seemed more like an advertising brochure to me.

1. David Dawson

Lol.

I was going for "advertorial". Got auto corrected.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon