back to article Panasonic Toughbooks are so tough they can smoke

Panasonic's the latest company to fall foul of dodgy batteries, finding that the rechargeables shipped with its CF-S10 laptop "may overheat, cause smoke, or may ignite" causing "a risk of a fire or a burn hazard to consumers" and the computer. The CF-VZSU61U rechargeable battery pack is the culprit and appears to have come to …

1. NotBob

Ah. I abused a toughbook once. Didn't matter what happened, it kept going. Slow as molasses in winter, but virtually unbreakable.

Apparently also good fire starters, but mine never got quite that hot.

2. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Just re-label them as camping and barbecue equipment, done.

(There still must be a handheld WinCE toughthingy around here somewhere. Used it to collect GPS data for an open-map project. You could have driven tent pegs in the ground with that thing.)

3. 100113.1537

Made in 2011 - and still going!

It sort of says a lot that it has taken until now to identify a potential problem and have to issue a recall for batteries made 4-5 years ago! Most notebooks (and their batteries) would have given up long before now. My sister-in-law is still using her CF9 (model before this, bought in Jan 2011). You can't deny that they are tough!

1. EPurpl3

Re: Made in 2011 - and still going!

My Acer died after 10 years

4. GrumpyKiwi

I once worked for a place that used Toughbooks. One of the sales spods decided to move himself up in the queue for a newer model and "accidentally" drove over his. It got a hairline crack in the chassis, but otherwise carried on working just fine for the 2 years he still had to keep it.

1. AJ MacLeod

A few years back I was asked to configure something on a 17" MBP which was a bit bashed (though working perfectly)... on enquiring what had happened to it the owner confessed to having driven over it.

I am not an Apple fan but have to admit I was impressed at how little it had suffered... I would still rather a Toughbook if faced with an attacker though!

5. Montreal Sean

Tough laptops

I was given one for work back in 1999, a 100mhz Pentium I believe.

It had a bolt-on handle. The laptop was heavy, black, a bit slow, but I was told it would stop small calibre bullets...

Thankfully I never had to put that claim to the test.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon