back to article Don't touch that PDF or webpage until your Windows PC is patched

Microsoft has patched 41 CVE-listed security vulnerabilities in its software this month. The second Patch Tuesday monthly update of the year brings with it fixes for security flaws in both Internet Explorer and Edge that could allow remote-code-execution attacks simply by visiting a webpage. Also fixed are remote-code- …

1. Captain Badmouth
    FAIL

KB3126041

What does it do? Comes up as a security update on win8.1 but the more info link takes you to 404 page not found. Also KB3132080. I'm not installing anything tonight.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Aniya
      Go

Re: KB3126041 (Documentation for KB3132080)

The KB article for KB3132080 was just published.

It describes a fix for "logon freezes after you reset your password in Windows 8.1, or Stop error 0x1000007e in Windows Server 2012 R2."

2. Duncan Macdonald

Flash Player

The correct update is complete removal.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Flash Player

Complete removal from your main browser. Then a copy of Chrome with plug-ins disabled by default, while you learn to live without Flash.

Which thankfully I already did, two years ago.

3. Martin Summers Silver badge

What happened to "It's 2016 and your PC can be p0wned just by visiting a web page" Is that guy off on holiday or something?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Horns

"Microsoft blats bugs in super-secure web browser Edge"

Shouldn't "super-secure" be enclosed in quotation marks or qualified with "supposedly"/"(sic)" or something?

1. Martin Summers Silver badge

Re: "Microsoft blats bugs in super-secure web browser Edge"

I think the word of choice is 'allegedly', lawyers don't seem to be able to sniff the blood with that word.

2. Dan 55 Silver badge

Scroll down to the bottom of MS16-009 and MS16-011 and you'll find that CVE-2016-60/1/2 are shared with IE. Again.

1. Not That Andrew

So basically Edge is IE 12 with a new name?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

Botch Tuesday

Windows 7 64 bit Ultimate- 19 updates with 3 additional Sneaky Sneaky Windows 10 updates (Hidden)- FORTY-FIVE ARSE GRINDING MINUTES start to finish.

Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 64 bit - full OS upgrade with patches and Firefox update - FIFTEEN MINUTES including reboot and removing old packages with Synaptic and update to Clam AV and Grub.

Windows:The Motion Picture.

AND you paid for it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

A fresh install of Mint 17.3 down to 12 mins with an SSD, fully updated.

Windows 7 SP1 seems to have been artficially lobotimized, by MS (with or without an SSD)

Windows Update just doesn't work anymore on 7, though this is likely to be down to people avoiding the Windows 10 nagware updates. Like IE, MS seem to be embedding those Win10 nagware system updates as deeply into Windows 7 as possible, so regards a future lawsuit they can say they are fundamental to the operation of Windows 7 and there is no way to backtrack, 'sorry'.

In the meantime Mint 17.3 is like a beacon showing how a modern OS should install and update itself, there is no nonsense, wondering what its up to. Very granular, you can see exactly what its doing.

Love it or hate it, regards updating your OS, Mint 17.3 is showing the way it should be done.

With Windows rapid release cycle, 'Clunky' Windows Update, has made itself a foreground task, taking serious amount of productivity time. It needs some serious work, to make it as seemless as dropbox, to put it back in the background where it belongs.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: A fresh install of Mint 17.3 down to 12 mins with an SSD, fully updated.

There is an update to Win7 Update that came out recently

Maybe that is why your update service isnt working.

2. Pomgolian
        FAIL

No problems here. Win 7 Pro does everything I need, works just peachy with an SSD. I have GWX Control Panel running to prevent any unwanted upgrades, and windows update set to notify me and not do anything until I'm good and ready.

As for Linux Mint, tried it and gave up. All I wanted was my three monitors to work together like they do on WIn7. If I manage to get two working, they either have horrendous refresh issues or I can't drag windows from one to the other.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

And the about same for a fresh install of Win10 fully updated.

So your point is?

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Yep I'd love to move to Mint or Ubuntu on my desktop, but also have multi-monitor problems with it. With one regularly oriented monitor, and the other portrait, I get a cursor that turns invisible on the primary display.

A look around reveals I'm not alone, but no solid fixes forthcoming (and oh my days did I spend a lot of time and effort trying to fix it before having to go back to Windows).

Would genuinely jump at the chance to use a *buntu as my daily runner, but I've just too much work to do that requires this basic stuff.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Linux

Works fine for me straight "out of the box" with exactly that layout. Which graphics chipset & drivers were you using when you "tried" *buntu RICHTO? Perhaps we can help you 0:)

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Jesus. The Linux-pushers on this site are getting worse than the God ones. Half expecting to be 'saved' by Mint next time I go shopping.

1. Chika
          Trollface

Jesus. The Anonymous Cowards on this site are getting worse than the regulars. They gripe from behind the mask of anonymity about Linux every time without realising that half the reason why is because it winds up the Microsoft fanbois.

The other half is because they truly hate/mistrust Microsoft and Windows 10.

Oh, and in case anyone was disappointed that I haven't said it recently, Linux is not Mint!

1. Adam 52 Silver badge

Linux is not Mint

Please let that be a veiled reference to MiNT, the recursively named replacement OS for Ataris.

2. Not That Andrew
          Joke

If you want a Linux distro that comes with a free religion, try Slackware, and bask in the slackness of Bob, or don't, it's your choice.

4. Kurt Meyer

@ Adam Jarvis - "Windows Update just doesn't work anymore on 7"

Windows Update is working just fine on my Windows 7 machines, it is as fast as it ever was. Which is not to say as fast as greased lightning, but neither is it the day long grind reported by some posters.

"MS seem to be embedding those Win10 nagware system updates as deeply into Windows 7 as possible"

Thanks to resources freely available on the web, I have no Win10 nagware on my Win7 machines. I also don't have Win10.

"In the meantime Mint 17.3 is like a beacon showing how a modern OS should install and update itself, there is no nonsense, wondering what its up to. Very granular, you can see exactly what its doing."

I took a (short) break while typing this post to install Mint 17 on a customer's laptop. Those marvelously enlightening, granular installation messages included:

The ever popular - "copying files"

followed by - "installing system"

and then - "configuring hardware".

I felt refreshed, invigorated, empowered, as though I had tasted the very nectar of the gods.

Or not.

I don't love or hate Mint, it is one of many alternatives to Windows, no more, and no less. I try to use the right tool for the job. For some jobs, that IS Windows. I don't proselytize any operating system, I just want to "get on with it".

"With Windows rapid release cycle"

2014-05-31 - Mint 17.0

2014-11-29 - Mint 17.1

2015-06-30 - Mint 17.2

2015-12-04 - Mint 17.3 - dates obtained from distrowatch.com

I make that four "long term support" releases in 18 months. Why Clem Thefevered deems this necessary, I couldn't say. This may not be as rapid as Firefox, but it is certainly more rapid than Windows.

FYI, this post, like all of my posts on El Reg, has been made using Firefox on Mint 17.0.

1. PNGuinn
          Thumb Up

@ Kurt Meyer

"Thanks to resources freely available on the web, I have no Win10 nagware on my Win7 machines. I also don't have Win10."

Thanks to resources freely available on the web, I have Debian installed. Your'e right - no win10 nagware here...

5. RedCardinal

>>Windows Update just doesn't work anymore on 7

Well that's strange as my Windows 7 update worked fine yesterday.....

2. Archie Woodnuts

hurf durf

I use a different os than the os you use because I am a brain wizard and as any fule no, it isn't possible for different people to use different os' for different things in different environments or on different machines. There is only one way to computer and I have found it. A point I shall make repeatedly, for ever, until my genius is acknowledged. durf durf durf.

1. Kurt Meyer
        Pint

Re: hurf durf

Well said, Archie. Well said.

2. Stevie

Re: hurf durf

Archie Woodnuts has written the truest thing on the interwebs.

3. Ian 55

Mint 17.3 is like a beacon showing how a modern OS should install and update itself

Just wait until you want to move to version 18 - as ever with Mint, it will very probably break the one true Debian way:

(change /etc/apt/sources.list to use new version)

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get upgrade

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

.. and instead expect you to back up everything and install a new copy.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So Windows 10 is resetting default apps after updates now?

I use a 3rd party PDF viewer but I received a message after rebooting from the Patch Tuesday updates that Edge would now be taking over that job, thank you very much.

It's stupid shit like this that MS really have got to sort out. Apparently it's not an isolated case; something similar happened in November as well.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/3sr2ec/psa_warning_the_windows_10_fall_update_resets_all/

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Paris Hilton

Re: So Windows 10 is resetting default apps after updates now?

But you get a complimentary BONG! sound with that...

1. Chika

Re: So Windows 10 is resetting default apps after updates now?

But you get a complimentary BONG! sound with that...

Don't you mean a BING! sound? ;)

7. Kev99 Silver badge

For four years I've been telling Windows Update to hide Silverlight. It keeps coming back like the clap. I guess that was just a dry run for Win10 and all the other worthless "optional" updates.

8. Youngone Silver badge

Browser Stats

I did a quick Google and it turns out Edge has about 1% of browser market share.

Now I'm not sure if I'm impressed it's that high or not.

9. This post has been deleted by its author

1. TimeMaster T
      Alert

WTF??

How in the Hells did you get that icon?!?!

I'ff give you a pint if you tell me.

Please. Pretty please. With salted caramel on top.

Stop

Re: WTF??

0) Assume input validation is insufficiently locked down

1) Start Firebug

2) Find the input field with id="comment_icon_textfield" type="hidden" name="icon" value="stop"

3) Guess at the value of the old-school gates icon (inspect icon's name to do that)

4) Write script to inject name when you "POST COMMENT" (I'm too lazy to wander through the dark valley of webupskilling to do that)

5) ???

6) Amazeballs!

2. Anonymous Coward
        Gates Horns

Re: WTF??

It has always been there. Lurking. Unseen.

Waiting.

The name of the beast is "gates_horns" but be careful... never repeat that name three times.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

W10 upgrade sneakies

Three of the pre-ticked updates are either known (and hidden) "W10 upgrade" or suspicious

KB2952664 AGAIN!!!!!!!!

KB3123862

KB3135445

1. Stanislaw
      Unhappy

Re: W10 upgrade sneakies

KB2952664 is a real bastard. It got onto my system a while back - I guess I wasn't paying sufficient attention - and now all efforts to remove it have failed. Every time I uninstall it, it immediately re-installs itself, leading me to think that it never actually uninstalled at all. This must break a pretty basic rule - surely all updates must be removable, in case they disagree with something?

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Paranoid - moi?

This may be casting aspersions - but I could swear I installed the GWX blocker v1.6 on both my PCs. It is still there on the one that was updated to v1.7 - but missing from the lesser used PC. That is strange because I gave the binary or link to several of my customers at that time.

My "transfer" usb stick has v1.6 but not v1.7 - suggesting I never updated the lesser used PC to v1.7.

The question is - did I forget to install v1.6 on my other PC - or has "something" removed it? Nudge, nudge, wink, wink, know what I mean.

Paranoia is driving me rapidly to Linux Mint.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Paranoid - moi?

Victor the cleaner dropped by.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft Security Essentials had been primed to hoover up any signs of disruptive "blocking" software to the Windows 10 roll-out process. This is all getting a bit too cat and mouse.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

'I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft Security Essentials had been primed to hoover up any signs of disruptive "blocking" software to the Windows 10 roll-out process. This is all getting a bit too cat and mouse.'

You would be promoted at M$ for that idea, congratulations!

I'll pass that on in the next meeting :D

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

I can almost picture you in that Microsoft meeting, except you used M$, rather than MS.

GWX Control Panel 'is' Malware to MS (in their eyes) because its disrupting their software distribution model- its actively disrupting (reducing) the number of Windows 10 upgrades.

Would anyone really be surprised if MS added its signature to Microsoft Security Essentials for removal purposes?

12. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Holmes

More reasons why running as admin in a permanent manner on a Windows system is utterly stupid

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I noticed tonight that Windows update asked me to authorise hiding one of the W10 upgrade updates. It then let me hide two more without asking for that authorisation. Don't remember it asking before.

Strikes me MS can gain full access to the PC in that way - even if they couldn't before.

Something seemed to have changed my Windows Update settings to "automatic" too - something I usually change to "manual" when I build a PC.

13. AlbertH
    Linux

As if we still needed reasons...

There's nothing that MS offers any more that isn't fully covered in the FOSS world - apart from the massive security flaws, instabilities and sneaky forced "upgrades". MS have never released any properly working products - everything's always going to be fixed in the next release.... Free beer tomorrow!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Facepalm

Re: As if we still needed reasons...

Much as I love the ethos and reality of the penguin, that sort of crap makes me cringe. There is certainly plenty "that MS offers that isn't fully covered in the FOSS world" - show me a drop-in replacement for Excel capable of operating any given complex, macro laden spreadsheet in full, without deviating from the behaviour of the version of Excel in which it was created, for example.

No?

Whether the One Microsoft Way is optimal, or a hideous kludge of incompetence hamstrung by backward compatibility liabilities and inertia, or just a carefully laid minefield of obfuscation and contrived incompatibility, or some monstrous combination of all those things, or whatever else, is certainly debatable. If you feel inclined. As is whether any particular alternative approach is "better"/equivalent/adequate. But asserting "There's nothing that MS offers any more that isn't fully covered in the FOSS world" is just sdoopid beyond belief.

1. Richard 12 Silver badge

show me a drop-in replacement for Excel capable of operating any given complex, macro laden spreadsheet in full, without deviating from the behaviour of the version of Excel in which it was created

Excel doesn't do that either, new versions just quietly changes your results when you open the sheet.

Because it's stored in an opaque binary format, you can't even spot it until it mysteriously costs you.

If you want full, unchanged results you can't ever change Excel version. Ever.

1. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

One of my clients inadvertently saved an Excel spreadsheet in opendocument format, and it then failed to calculate a simple foreign exchange conversion correctly. Nothing to do with floating-point idiosyncrasies because in certain circumstances, with the same starting figures it produced the correct result. Three people eyeballed the problem and it was only when it was noticed that the format wasn't in xls mode and reverted that the correct result was reliably displayed.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Do iOS and Android versions of Microsoft Excel even open complex, macro laden VBA spreadsheets?

They don't have the VBA programming language add-on. LibreOffice Calc 5 is probably about as compatible as iOS/Android versions of MS Excel, when opening a file created on the desktop version of Excel.

Working between LibreOffice Calc 5 and free iOS/Android versions of Excel, the simpler files (non-VBA macro'd) they are probably much more interchangeable.

3. Bigkahuna456

really!!!

I have a set of Excel spreadsheets using Extensive VBA code and calling a number of external DLL's. Since upgrading from Office 2003, The application produces exactly the same results, We know this because we use extensive automated testing tools to compare results between versions and to determine correctness. Since Excel 2007 we have not had any issues, last year we changed to Excel 64bit, still no problems.

Actually I prefer UNIX. My first Microsoft operating system on a personally owned system was Win XP, Prior to that I used SCO UNIX, Solaris and later Red Hat so I'm no Microsoft fanboi.

2. Ken Hagan Gold badge

"There's nothing that MS offers any more that isn't fully covered in the FOSS world"

Except for almost every non-Microsoft business app ever produced.

Seriously guys and gals, Linux is probably OK for most home use unless you have a particular taste for a Win-only game or website plugin, but business has been writing crapware for Windows for several decades now and is currently sitting on a steaming mountain of the stuff that it politely calls "legacy".

WINE just doesn't cut the mustard, so it is whatever's-the-latest-Windows for most companies. If there was a free alternative, do you think they'd still be paying the licence fees? These are businesses, working for money, and able to pay for people to come in and help with the transition if that's necessary.

3. Kurt Meyer
      Facepalm

AlbertH "There's nothing that MS offers any more that isn't fully covered in the FOSS world"

AlbertH "I would like to buy a fish license, please."

14. frank ly

"... without deviating from the behaviour of the version of Excel in which it was created, ..."

That's the problem right there. The vast majority of people who use computers for things that are useful, imporant or essential to them have got used to using the MS Windows suites and all their characteristics, as well as the characteristics of the underlying OS. There's also a massive installed base of computing software assets and associated data files with their ingrained ways of working.

You could say the same thing about Photoshop vs GIMP etc. for doing the things that most people do with them (not counting pro-level graphics people of course).

The other problem is lack of general awareness of the availablility of SOHO Linux solutions and the learning curve associated with getting them up and running and doing what you need them to do. Most people don't "know about computers" because they're interested in them; it's something they've had to learn because their job demands it (and did so slowly, over time) or they want to surf the internet, send e-mail, etc.

Windows has massive presence and inertia and I can't see how that situation will change in the near future.

1. PNGuinn
      Happy

@ Frank ly

"Windows has massive presence and inertia and I can't see how that situation will change in the near future."

What's changed now is that is that microsoft themselves are doing all they can to bring that change about.

2. Mystic Megabyte
      Linux

Inertia

"Windows has massive presence and inertia and I can't see how that situation will change in the near future."

You have hit the nail on the head with the word inertia. The way to solve that is to sack anyone who suggests a Microsoft solution. Did no-one notice that after XP, with it's focus on DRM, Windows became akin to spyware? if you did not begin to migrate at that time your business is probably screwed, the NSA will have passed all your confidential data to competitors in the USA.

Read this and think again:

https://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.html

3. Chika
      Coat

The vast majority of people who use computers for things that are useful, imporant or essential to them have got used to using the MS Windows suites and all their characteristics, as well as the characteristics of the underlying OS.

Actually, that's an interesting point. One of the biggest gripes I've heard about Office is the push to get users to use the "ribbon" interface on later versions of Office to the extent that some users will move from Office to alternatives to maintain some semblance of continuity or simply not bother to "upgrade" at all. Both situations affect Microsoft's bank balance in the end.

And yes, I have been known to run Word using... oh wait, what was that thing that couldn't "cut the mustard" earlier in this forum? WINE?

15. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

There was an old lady

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXQPD6OcugY

1. Chika
      Happy

Re: There was an old lady

Prefer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQHmZMf6zwo

16. psychonaut

what happened to the win 10 download?

anyone, bueller?

just spent 4 days frantically patching against . they havent released it. bastards! oh hang on a minute, actaully maybe thats a good thing??

aaaargh!

17. Paul Shirley

STOP STEALING MY SETTINGS!

Yet again the cnuts at ms took the opportunity to hijack my file associations and punt them back at Microsoft's own useless apps. Even more annoying this time after finally getting sound to work 99% correctly with my ancient AV system over optical. STOP STEALING MY SETTINGS!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Gates Horns

Re: STOP STEALING MY SETTINGS!

Poof!

Hello.

It's not your settings I'm after.

2. GrumpenKraut
      Devil

Re: STOP STEALING MY SETTINGS!

> STOP STEALING MY SETTINGS!

Nope. Yours, MS.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This is why I use a Mac for my personal consumption and dumped Windows 10 years ago.

Bah!

1. Chika

You dumped Windows 10 years ago? How long, exactly?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Well, now we know that W10 didn't install properly on the TARDIS

1. Chika
          Mushroom

I've never noticed a Microsoft system on the TARDIS. The only Earth system I've ever noticed was in episodes like the Fifth Doctor where it was...

AN ACORN SYSTEM!!! A BBC Micro running in mode 7 for text and mode 2 for the graphic displays, if I'm not much mistaken.

You see? Even a blind pig stumbles over an Acorn every now and then!

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Can't make something good but still want to be well known? Be a hardline critic of it.

Trollface

Well, the last time Microsoft went critical on Linux as "Cancer" and "Communism" was back in the days of the clownish duo of "Geeky and Fester". They have toned down since.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like