back to article IBM, NetApp lose ground amid global storage systems growth, says IDC

IDC's quarterly storage tracker* has revealed that IBM and NetApp have lost the most ground, and HP and ODMs have gained most. Total worldwide enterprise storage systems factory revenue grew 2.8 per cent year on year to reach $9.13bn during the third quarter of 2015. In the total disk storage systems market EMC led the field …

1. Mr.Nobody

Meh - its based on revenue

No surprise - EMC takes in more money because they have the most expensive gear, especially when you start talking about storage for mainframes - they basically have a lock on all mainframe storage sales.

As a customer/end user, I am thrilled that all these new storage options are cropping up, as they are forcing the old players to start charging less for similar capacity, performance and features, so I don't think its any surprise that revenues will start to go down.

If I were a salesperson that worked for a VAR or one of these companies, I might be a little more concerned.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Meh - its based on revenue

IBM is the market leader in mainframe storage, for obvious reason.

2. FDavids

Mr. Nobody. I totally agree and the challenge with this article is that El Reg only tells half of the story. This has been a complaint of mine for a while. The IDC report referenced actually publishes both shipped revenue and shipped capacity. For some reason El Reg only comments on the revenue which can be misleading. As you said a vendor that is more expensive per TB may have actually shipped less capacity, but made more revenue making the analysis skewed. Being dramatic, think of it this way. Say vendor “A” ships 1PB of SAN for $1M and vendor “B” ships 2PB of SAN for $500K. Which one sold more? I would argue that the vendor “B” that shipped 2PB sold more storage than vendor “A” who only shipped 1PB but made more money.

This article states “IDC's quarterly storage tracker* has revealed that IBM and NetApp have lost the most ground, and HP and ODMs have gained most.”, but that is on a revenue basis. While the statement is still true on capacity, the numbers aren’t as dramatic. IBM’s revenues were down 9.6%, but their capacity shipped was only down 0.4%, less than one percent, meaning that basically they lowered their prices, but didn’t lose as much share as the 9.6%% would indicate. Same on NetApp, while NetApp’s revenue was down 12.8% on revenue, capacity shipped was only down 0.8%, again less than one percent. Also on the capacity shipped chart NetApp is #2 in capacity shipped behind EMC, but on the revenue chart is #4. Maybe this means that NetApp is simply lowered prices vs. lost 12.8% share. HP, the one who grew 5.3% revenue in this report only grew 0.6% in capacity shipped which puts them at a further distance than the “within a whisker” of NetApp as the article’s revenue only analysis indicates. So HP grew revenue 5.3%, but only grew capacity shipped 0.6%, which is more important, depends who you ask. HP may have just raised their prices or is selling more expensive product (Flash) than in the past. Either way, how much capacity they are shipping hasn’t increased at the rate of their gain in revenue.

Net is the revenue side of these charts is only half the story and I wish El Reg would report on both because at the end of the day, it is up to the reader to decide which metric, capacity shipped or revenue shipped is more important to them. Ideally, the revenue per TB shipped would be the best indicator for a reader who is analyzing storage because it would actually tell them who is expensive and who is not.

1. FDavids

The next update will be available about March 11. It will have the Q4 2015 and full year 2015 charts. Hopefully El Reg provides commentary on both the revenue shipped and capacity shipped numbers.

2. Lusty

I assume you meant IBM Mr. Nobody?

Revenue is a stupid way to measure success. If you decide to cut your own throat and forego profit your revenue will probably go up because you'll be cheaper than the competition. There are many large companies with enormous revenues who are making a loss while some small companies with low revenue make huge profit. Revenue is a fairly good measure of busy-ness and I guess correlates with staff count to a certain degree so if your aim is to have more employees doing more stuff then revenue is awesome, and creating employment is a worthy goal.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Agree. I assume a lot of HP's storage revenue is commodity DAS and not their enterprise class arrays. You see a lot more HDS and IBM enterprise class arrays than HP 3PAR. Revenue doesn't tell the entire story.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"You see a lot more HDS and IBM enterprise class arrays"

It's legacy enterprise kit especially in the high end tier 1 space and there'll be a lot of it around for a very long time regardless of how much any particular vendor sells, besides it's not really where the action is anymore.

External storage numbers are clearly broken out in the same article.

3. FDavids

This new IDC format is not apples to apples

Not that any IDC format is fully apples to apples, but this one is the worst. Dell+EMC, IBM, and Hitachi for example sells mainframe storage which is a high revenue and high dollar product. Most other companies do not, so lumping them in together provides an unrealistic picture. If you were to compare all flash open systems storage for example, which is more apples to apples and where the entire industry is heading, the chart would be completely different. For example IBM and Pure have lost considerable ground in open systems flash according to the last IDC release while NetApp has grown considerably and is almost the same revenue as Dell/ EMC. This is a useless chart for apples to apples comparisons. IMO

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like