back to article Toshiba, Fujitsu and Vaio may be about to merge laptop ops

From Taiwan, an advance on a tantalising rumour: Toshiba, Fujitsu and Vaio look to be seriously considering a merger of their laptop-making operations. Vaio, the laptop spin-off from Sony, publicly floated the idea in late 2015. At that time it was thought that Toshiba would probably like the idea, as relieving itself of its …

1. Captain DaFt

New brand name

Tofuva?

1. Admiral Grace Hopper

Re: New brand name

Fuvato.

I say foo-var-to, you say foo-vay-to ...

2. Flywheel

Toshitsu

3. BurnT'offering

VaFuba

4. Pompous Git Silver badge

Tofuva?

What? So some idiot vegan will mistake your lappy for a meal?

1. BurnT'offering

Any such idiots might be in the market for my combined laptop and sandwich toaster (Warning - allow keyboard to cool down for 3 minutes after toasting)

1. sgp

Well, as a lot of these laptops were already balls-toasters the sandwich feature shouldn't be too hard.

2. ben_myers

A combination of like

Toshiba = crap

Vaio = crap

Fujitsu = well, sturdy well made crap.

All three are complete horror shows to maintain. Godawful to disassemble/reassemble. You can't get spares for them. And you can't get repair manuals. I guess they don't want anybody to fix them.

By comparison, Lenovo (and previously IBM), Dell and HP (dragged kicking and screaming by public pressure) make repair manuals easy to download from their web site. Spare parts are readily available for all three. HP laptops are still somewhat of a pain in the ass to tear down, and so are some Dells.

And then there is Acer. As far as I am concerned, they might as well merge their Acer, Gateway and eMachine crap with the other three. Except they are Taiwanese. Maybe they could build a facility on the Spratly Islands in the South China Sea, neutral territory. Disputed, too.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

There was a time...

Back in the 90s, when Toshiba laptops were extremely sturdy work tools with matt screens, and components inside which were replaceable. I had a SatPro which was still going after ten years, the original battery still charged, and there was not even one dead pixel on the screen. I went off Toshiba laptops when they started using screens that were so shiny I couldn't see jack shit on the screen during the day. A family member bought a Toshiba tablet and not only was the screen unreadable in daylight for the exact same reason, the after-sales support was shocking. I think both issues indicate why Sony and Tosh in particular have suffered. Nobody wants a laptop that is only usable in a dark room.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like