back to article Built-in LG smartphone app created data hack risk

Security researchers have uncovered a major vulnerability in LG G3 Android devices. The personal data on millions of LG smartphones was potentially open to theft as a result of the so-called SNAP bug. "SNAP" allows an attacker to run arbitrary JavaScript code on the vulnerable LG devices, according to security researchers …

1. Gordon 10
    Stop

what's the full list of handsets?

a quick google suggests the G4 also has Smart Notice installed.

2. Dfletcher

More cracks opening for LG!

Don't worry the phone will fall apart before anyone can hack it! Mine is suffering from huge cracks in the casing thanks to the beyond poor build quality!

3. Timmy B

Grrr - so far I've been really happy with my G3

I've got all the smart notice stuff turned off and a different launcher running so I suppose I may be ok. Looks like I may have to CyanogenMod it to be sure. Thankfully LG and three in cooperation seem to be getting updates out for this on a regular basis. OH has an OEM version of the same phone - it'll be interesting to see when the fix comes out for that.

Dfletcher - what do you do to yours? I'm finding the build quality on mine to be fine.

1. Darryl

Re: Grrr - so far I've been really happy with my G3

Can you disable Smart Notice completely? I usually do that with all of the add-on crap from OEMs and carriers (not this time - got another Nexus) but I know they're making some of those addons un-disable-able now.

1. dotdavid

I'm running an OEM unlocked G3 with latest stock firmware.

No you can't disable Smart Notice, I've just looked. Also it doesn't appear in LG's "Update Center" app nor Google Play so I'm not entirely sure how I'm supposed to patch it.

I had always intended to migrate to CyanogenMod in time (was waiting for the Marshmallow update to see what that was like first) but this sort of thing makes me wonder whether I should do that at the weekend.

1. Gnosis_Carmot

dotdavid - did you check App Updates in the Update Center? Mine was updated last night automagically.

2. misterinformed

On my stock unlocked G3 (software version V21a-EUR-XX), I can add and remove Smart Notice just like any other widget. Are you referring to the full-page Smart Bulletin instead? You can remove that from Settings->Display->HomeScreen.

But, like you, I can't see the Smart Notice update in the "Update Center". It's not helping that there is no "Check Now"/"Refresh" button in the App Updates panel, so all I can do is set it to check daily and wait.

My experience with Cyanogenmod (on Galaxy S2) is that it's great for scratching a nerdy itch and getting the latest Android fixes and features (continuing long after the OEM has stopped providing them) but bad for stability. Things may have changed since I tried it but, judging by a quick look at the G3 CM forums, they haven't changed much.

1. dotdavid

"On my stock unlocked G3 (software version V21a-EUR-XX), I can add and remove Smart Notice just like any other widget"

The widget, sure, but I can't disable the app in Application Settings like you can some other "built-in" apps.

"My experience with Cyanogenmod (on Galaxy S2) is that it's ... bad for stability."

Samsung's fault because of their horrendous record of not releasing code for their Exynos chipsets. The G3 with its Qualcomm-based chipset should be much better.

1. misterinformed

"The widget, sure, but I can't disable the app in Application Settings like you can some other "built-in" apps."

Oh I see, sorry.

"Samsung's fault because of their horrendous record of not releasing code for their Exynos chipsets. The G3 with its Qualcomm-based chipset should be much better."

OK. That's encouraging. Maybe when LG stop pushing updates I'll brave CM again.

I've just received the update to Smart Notice.

1. dotdavid

"I've just received the update to Smart Notice."

Me too. I'm glad someone at LG decided that a way to update built-in apps would be a good idea, although I wonder how many people would bother checking their "Update Center" app at all.

4. Tim 7

Has anyone else

In Apps/All menu the date of the apps on my phone go from 6/1/1970 to 28/02/1970 and 1/10/1970

Yes 1970

I did not think I have had the phone that long must be a record.

1. Gordon 10
      Terminator

Re: Has anyone else

Simplest explanation? A man with a time machine constructed your phone in 1970 with technology recovered from the 2nd roswell crash in 2024, then pushed it through a wormhole onto the shelf of a Carphone Whorehouse in 2015.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like