back to article Google forked out a whopping $16m on govt lobbying last year

Google has once again proved it is Silicon Valley's biggest lobbying spender, splashing out more than $16m (£11.2m) for the second year running in its attempts to bend the ear of government. The data is from records for 2015 analysed by non-profit group Consumer Watch, which monitors the lobbying activities of Silicon Valley's …

1. Bbbbit

Is that all?

At the risk of sounding terminally cynical, that does not sound like a lot these days. I take it lobbying spend is tax-deductible? Does this figure also reflect the high-profile ex-employees of Google that are being parachuted into government "spad" posts or the "researchers" given to government at no cost?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Is that all?

That's probably just for the US, add to that every other country in the world they are trying to bribe and it gets quite a lot.

1. Fluffy Cactus

I don't know for sure whether that's just for the US, but if it were so, then consider that there are 435 elected officials in the US Congress and 100 Senators in the US Senate. So that's 535 people.

Now take the 11.2 million pounds and divide by 535 peeps, and you get 20,934 some pounds per official. That's about 29,800 US dollars. Really, it seems that our elected officials are selling us down the river for WAY TOO CHEAP.

They do not value our rights, our votes, our constitution highly enough. I'd feel much better if they sold us out for like a meeeellion dollars per each bribe, oops, I mean donation to the re-election campaign or PAC (Political Action committee).

But there is hope: Given that it's that cheap, relatively speaking, any grass-roots political organization can likely come up with $30,000 per each politician, and walk in, and say: Here Mr. Politician, we got $30,000, while these other cheap skates only got you $29,800, so who are you gonna listen to, us or them?

But wait, there is less hope, because the above would likely result in a bidding war, and we all know

how the "deepest pockets win" in that, so may be that's not how it's going to work. Seems it would be

enormously more profitable for politicians to publicly sell off their voting powers, in an "open outcry fashion", instead of the usual "hush-hush affair". I can just see it and hear it: "That gentleman from the Oil Industry just offered me 3 million pounds for my vote, to vote for the complete destruction of the planet, so do I hear a higher bid from the environmental gentle person on the left, yes, you can save the planet for just 3 million and 100,000 pounds, $3,100,000 is all it takes, do I hear more?" "What?"

"3 million and 25,000 pounds?" - "Sorry no, the minimum increment is 100,000 pounds now, we can't waste time with itsy bitsy increments, really!" - - - Ok, 3 million and 100,000 pounds it is to the wonderful gentle person, yes, yes, congrats, winning bid, fantastic, money well spent!" On to the next vote now! -

Sometimes my imagination just runs way ahead of me...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Lobbying is far from the only type of political donation

Google has their own PAC, which contributes directly to various candidates and is covered by various disclosure laws. I'm not sure how much more that adds, but that that's an important second type of funding.

Lobbying is just paying people who are mostly ex congressmen / congressional staffers to talk to their former colleagues about laws their clients want passed. What Google wants may overlap to a large extent with what Apple, Microsoft, Facebook and IBM want, so a lobbyist who gets funds from all doesn't say "here's what Google wants" he says "here's what I want". The congressman may not even know on whose behalf he's working for (not that Google cares, as long as they get what they want) These direct contributions are basically giving them money they spend on getting themselves re-elected.

There's a third type of money too - other perks that aren't listed in FEC disclosures but congressmen etc. have to disclose separately (at least in some cases, though I'm sure there are ways around it) i.e. if Google's CEO takes a few Senators to Ireland on some type of loosely defined 'fact finding mission' where they just happen to believe a few important facts might be found in a five star hotel and on some of the world's top golf courses. Now that's a bribe.

There's actually a fourth type which is a special type of PAC that doesn't have to report where the money came from that the Supreme Court opened up a few years back. No way of knowing if Google (or Apple, or Facebook or whoever) has these because there is no transparency. They can't give money directly to a candidate but they can run ads to support their position. So if they wanted more H1-B Visas they could run ads in support of that and let you know which candidates have the "right" and "wrong" position on the issue.

Unfortunately lobbying is just the tip of the iceberg. Its just that it has the most stringent reporting requirements so it is easier to put a number on and write a story about.

3. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"I take it lobbying spend is tax-deductible?"

I really hope it isn't. That really isn't a valid business expense.IMO

2. Zog_but_not_the_first
    Unhappy

Democracy?

We've heard of it.

3. Eddy Ito
    Pirate

Wow! That's not much at all. How many pols does that buy these days? It's certainly a lot cheaper than running for office and only getting one congressional vote. Perhaps if I win the lottery I'll buy me some Representatives and splash for a Senator or three.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I agree! You can't possibly buy 500-odd congresstards and thousands of state legislatards with $16M. They're not all that dumb. This must be salaries for a few dozen lobbyists to do precision targeted wining'n'dining with influential yet gullible 'tards. (And as others commentards have pointed out, the 16M does not include the campaign contributions which are the real bribes)

A few emails from the likes of us could actually be enough to counter whatever BS the lobbyists are feeding the pols.

4. Paul Smith

So only about 10% of what Kent County Council plans to spend on managed services, or less then it costs to elect two senators.

Had you said $16billion, about what they earned from android, I would have thought that was a lot of lobbying, but $16million? Hardly seems worth the effort.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

No, the point is that bribery in the US is cheap. I remember reading about some politician doing major shady shit for $15,000

$16 million buys plenty of corruption and its definitely worth it. Necessity of doing business in fact.

1. JetSetJim
        Holmes

I think MapLight runs the numbers on how much it costs to buy a Senator. It's not that much, but will depend on the cause being lobbied for.

Tom Cotton (Arkansas) cost around $1M, according to the NY Times

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

That raises the question, 'will those that are bought stay bought?' After all isn't that the definition of a good US politician?

1. JetSetJim
            Coat

> 'will those that are bought stay bought?'

I imagine it's more of a SaaS model - "Senator as a Service". Nowadays you rent the votes, and cannot expect to own them. It's all in the EULA*, plain as day.

*End-User Lobbying Agreement

2. Grikath

well the trend seems to be the politician have twigged on the presence of the Feeder.. Given that all lobbying spending has gone up , the one important statistic here is that your average bri... Gift to the Cause has gone up around 10-12% this year..

5. EddieD

Pocket change.

They paid Apple about a billion to keep Google search the default on iDevices, according to a report on the beeb.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-35380696

16 megabucks really is nothing to these folk.

Edit - the report is here too. Hadn't seen the article here, but I find that more interesting, especially the alleged cover up.

6. Mikel

Google is big

At $491B Google is America's second largest corporation by market cap and one of the largest in the world. Their products are difficult to understand. It takes a lot of education of politicians to get progress on their key issues like network neutrality.

$16M is not much at all.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Can this $16M be filed under 'business expense' for tax purposes?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like