back to article Which tech stocks are suffering and – crucially – why?

With the stock markets on a slide since the start of the year, the usual game of over-hyping companies that are doing well has flipped and now the game is to give companies – particularly tech stocks – a good kicking on the way down. Much of the current frenzy appears built around Twitter, which is having a bad year, and the …

1. cat_mara

Atlassian?

That's kind of disturbing. While I'm no great fan of their products, at least they make something. Mutter mutter Etsy mutter mutter bloody glorified jumble sale mutter...

1. garetht t

Re: Atlassian?

eh? Atlassian make something just as much as Etsy make something. They both produce software - one for developers & one for jumble sales. Different markets, but I'd challenge you to go out and buy me 2 gallons of Atlassian products vs Etsy products.

1. Aitor 1

Errr, Jira etc?

1. cat_mara

That's what I'm saying. While JIRA, Bamboo, HipChat and friends may not be the "best of breed", at least they're concrete products with real user bases. Better than an overhyped tatmonger like Etsy.

2. Quortney Fortensplibe
      Paris Hilton

"...at least they make something..."

Came here to say something quite similar.

Albeit that all tech stocks seem to be suffering at the moment, I too was surprised to see that companies who actually make 'stuff' like Western Digital & Fitbit [hardware], and Atlassian [software] are tanking even more than companies like Twitter and Facebook, whose only contribution to the planet seems to be selling advertising space on peoples' boredom.

3. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

And Atlassian, according to the article, is profitable.

I think they'll weather the storm. They have a decent portfolio of products1 and they make money. They may find it harder to borrow for a while, but they should be able to tread water and continue with business as usual for a few quarters until the real weaklings are killed off.

1I'm no great fan of their stuff, either; I'm a command-line guy. When I want git, I run the git executable. But I work with people who use Atlassian Stash, so I have to poke at it occasionally, and it's far from the worst web-based tool I've ever used.

2. Mage Silver badge

Geocities?

Maybe you mean Friends reunited or Bebo?

Yahoo shuttering Geocities wasn't about money, If they were losing money on it they were idiots.

1. Mark 85

Re: Geocities?

I don't think they were losing money on it but Yahoo are idiots. Look at all they stuff they've bought for a high price and then dumped over the side for some strange reasons.

3. Mage Silver badge

Etsy ...

eBay for pretty things of no practical use?

Amazon and eBay may eat them up...

4. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Looks like the bubble is about to burst...

5. Youngone Silver badge

Zynga

Zynga always looked like a shonky investment to me. They need to keep people signing up to the next pay to win blockbuster game, and as their users become immune to the general pointlessness of the next new title, they need another and another.

I imagine they'll bumble along as a shadow of their former self, sort of Yahoo! for mobile phones.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Zynga

You're being very generous to this ponzi scheme of a company.

1. Youngone Silver badge

Re: Zynga

That's a bit harsh, a Ponzi scheme is when someone....

Oh, yes, I see what you mean.

6. Netscrape

The VC's will never learn

Greed takes over yet again. Self agreement and benchmarking valuations on user numbers of other loss making services. Like building on someone else's sand.

Having lots of users for free apps and services != value when everyone has that.

Atlassian will ride the storm though, they are selling stuff that people value.

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Re: The VC's will never learn

Au contraire: all of the companies are post-IPO so the VCs have already trousered enormous profits, even on Square which didn't quite make its 4 bn valuation on IPO.

As long as these companies can stop themselves from becoming penny stocks then they should be okay. The companies who really need to worry are those who are looking for more funding or were planning to IPO any time soon.

But the VCs have learned from 2000 and very few of them will feel any pain. If <insert-dorky-name-of-dodgy-service-here/> doesn't look like it's going to make much on IPO then it will either be sold to a) the competition; b) a tech behemoth still looking for a digital strategy like Microsoft, for example c) a clueless pension fund (and, trust me, there are enough of those around). The only ones who need to worry are employees who took stock options instead of pay. The VCs will be laughing all the way to their Porsche dealers!

7. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Unhappy

Tech stocks beat the market

Sadly in size of fall

IIRC the VC game is 5-10 loosers are OK provided you get one huge winner.

I'm not sure any VC is getting that in tech stocks.

8. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Meh

Are the good times over, then?

Oh dear, I wish someone told me. I guess that means now things are going to get really shitty.

1. LucreLout

Re: Are the good times over, then?

Are the good times over, then?

Yup. While most market analysts are predicting things to end up very bad for a protracted period [1], my own worthless reading of the tea leaves is that we'll enter recession in 2017, and exit late that year or Q1 2018 [2].

America is growing enough to raise interest rates, oil is so cheap as to be virtually free, as are most construction commodities. There are still largely cheap pools of labour in the world. Someone will find a way to combine that and add value, which gives us growth.

Add to that the wall of cash many companies are sitting on, and there's not the gearing there was last time around.

[1]- From some of the forecasts I've seen at work you'd think the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse were saddled up and just finishing their pre-ride piss.

[2]- Technical definition requires two quarters of back to back below zero 'growth' to start the recession, meaning by the time you're officially in one, you've been in it for 6 months already.

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Re: Are the good times over, then?

While most market analysts are predicting things to end up very bad for a protracted period [1], my own worthless reading of the tea leaves is that we'll enter recession in 2017, and exit late that year or Q1 2018 [2].

I'm not going to try to predict a recession (I won't be surprised either way), but I agree that many of the stories, at least in the popular press, about the stock market are wildly exaggerated.

At this point I'm not personally worried at all. I'm far enough from retirement that this is likely to be good for my 401(k) - the funds will be able to buy low, and some firms with cash will return some of it to investors to meet cost-of-capital and prop up their share prices. I'm perfectly happy to take a temporary hit in notional value while that goes on for a year or two.

And I think much of the tech sector will chug along in line with the broader market. Here at Micro Focus we're down in line with the market for 2016, which puts us just about where we were 6 months ago. Over one or three years we're up significantly.

9. VinceH
    Unhappy

I opened this article with my fingers crossed, chanting "Please let the list include Facebook..."

And it does - but, annoyingly, they don't come out as badly as some of the others.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Facebook

Facebook has a huge advantage; like tobacco, it seems that using it causes brain changes that drive further use. In this case, it's an increase in narcissism coupled with slight depression caused by constantly reading about other people who seem to be having much more exciting lives than you are, leading to people spending time on Facebook inflating their cvs to feel better about themselves.

Twitter by contrast burns people when they do something in a hurry which causes a negative reaction from other users. It punishes stupidity.

I think the main threat to Facebook is from governments; if only it wasn't so useful to the security services it might have been more heavily restricted long ago.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like