back to article Symantec's getting $1bn less for Veritas thanks to ‘uncertainties’

The Carlyle Group and Symantec have agreed to cut Veritas’s top line purchase price by $600m, as "uncertainties" related to the transaction have come to the fore. Back in August the Carlyle Group agreed to buy Veritas, Symantec's storage business, for $8.0bn, with Symantec expecting to receive $6.3bn in net cash. That price …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I keep saying ...

Why are people investing in an ineffective anti virus product and an obsolete disk management tool and a bug ridden backup product.

All three flaky product lines are where the uncertainty is, and why Symantec / Veritas are not worth billions.

1. ZenaB

Re: I keep saying ...

Because it's the devil you know..

The braver ones are venturing out to Veeam and the likes, but everyone else is clinging on!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I keep saying ...

Couldn't agree with you more. And a compete and utter disregard for their customer. As a "tech" company I've never interacted with one with such disregard.

They make Oracle look good. (Oracle pricing aside ..)

2. x 7

" can only assume that Veritas’s preliminary results show a significant downturn"

well what do they expect? Announce the business is going to be sold, take months completing the deal, then customers go jittery because - as far as they're concerned - the future of the product they are buying is in doubt.

Think how many IT business have been folded / slashed / burnt / raped after takeover and you'll soon understand the failure in customer confidence

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Symantec should get nothing, ZERO

Their technology is as old as their company-busting CEOs insipid stock answers of all the goodness the split creates.

Symantec deserve to be flushed into the sewer of had-beens, and should've years ago!

Another round of layoffs at Symantec obviously will ensue.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's going on 10 years since I worked in IT, we used Backup Exec with various types of tape including libraries. It was easy to used reliable and on the few occasions a restore, full or just a file it never let us down.

It seems to have a few detractors now, has it gone down hill since 2006/7?

Out of interest it is a genuine question?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@AC

"It's going on 10 years since I worked in IT, we used Backup Exec with various types of tape including libraries. It was easy to used reliable and on the few occasions a restore, full or just a file it never let us down."

It was easy to use but even back when Veritas owned Backup Exec (and continuing to this day) once you had the system working there was always a good chance that it would go belly-up if you even dared to install Service packs or other updates. You almost always need to update the agents in remote servers after each update which is annoying. Upgrading from earlier versions always introduced bugs so it was usually just faster to print out the old selection lists and type them after you'd removed the old version and installed the new one rather that find out why some backups just fail for no obvious reason.

Pre-2012 version you could back-up any number of servers in a single backup instance. Now you need to create a backup schedule and lists for each server. Supposedly there's some logic to that but I hate it. The GUI has also been sprinkled with candy and is slower to use.

/Rant over.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: @AC

Perhaps I have forgotten some of the problems, it's a long time, I think the versions were, 8 and 9 that I was involved with, so only one upgrade.

Thanks for the reply.

2. x 7

"has it gone down hill since 2006/7"

Its a piece of crap now. It does backups, but needs a bloody degree to be able to understand how to configure it. It was OK until about two versions ago, then some prat redesigned the UI and now its virtually unfathomable

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Good, I hope it hurts...

There's a special place in Hell waiting for anyone associated with NAV 07.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Good, I hope it hurts...

I'd place that back to 2002 which was when NAV went full bloat, slow hog. I stopped doing volunteer support then.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like