back to article Skype now translates in real-time into seven languages

Microsoft has delivered its promised real time translation service in Skype. Redmond's VoIP service can now comprehend Mandarin, English, French, German, Italian, Portuguese and Spanish and convert one to another as you chat. With one caveat: it's on Windows only for now, although Microsoft promises more languages and …

1. frank ly

Any commentard reviews?

I'd be interested to hear the opinion of anyone who's used this. How does it deal with idioms and 'rare' tenses?

1. Brewster's Angle Grinder Silver badge

Re: Any commentard reviews?

"How does it deal with...'rare' tenses?"

Very occasionally.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Microsoft have been working on getting this good enough for day to day use for many years:

See

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rek3jjbYRLo

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFe7xVHMl_s

Anyone who uses voicemails in Exchange (which have automatic transcription) will know how good Microsoft already are at recognising speech.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Anyone who uses voicemails in Exchange (which have automatic transcription) will know how good Microsoft already are at recognising speech.

Joint venture with ECHELON? Just curious..

2. x3mxs
        Meh

Is this a sarcastic comment ??

My experience with automatic transcription is that it's now a bonding moment, calling all my colleagues around my desk and read outloud the utter nonsense it splurts out !!

3. JetSetJim

I'm wondering how quickly it will dissolve into gibberish if, on translation, you repeat the translated phrase back at it.

Translation is hard, but it's good to see the real-time translation services spring up. It would be nice if it also transcribes both sides so that the speaker/listener can highlight to the other party when it goes awry (and even give feedback to the backend how well it's doing).

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

No idea, but I'd be mildly worried if I willingly permit an untrusted party to do on my messages what ECHELON is doing for phone calls.

This is where the real problem lies: integrating something like that is yet another route by which your communication will get tapped "for your benefit". Sure, the motives may be proper (umm, it's Microsoft, let's park that one) but it is virtually impossible to guarantee that this data stream is protected properly from, umm, "enthusiastic sharing" with 3rd parties that have no business seeing this data.

If I take the natural habits of Win 10 in mind and how hard they are trying to con people into installing that I think I'm justified in having my reservations about this.

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

There's no reason to think it would be any better than Bing's translations. Even ignoring the difficulty of flawless speech to text conversion (something even us meatbags aren't perfect at despite decades of practice in our mother tongue) once it has the 'text' if Skype was better at translation than Bing they'd update Bing's algorithms to use Skype's. Or vice versa if Bing was better.

So try Bing (or Google) and discover how easy it is to get funny or just plain bad results, and assume Skype will be the same. Put in a sentence, get the translation, put that translation in going the other direction and see if you can still recognize as meaning the same as your original sentence.

That doesn't make it useless, if I needed to call someone in Italy who I knew spoke no English, and he knew I spoke no Italian, Skype translation would probably work well enough for simple tasks like booking a villa or something. If my translation said "I would like to book your horse" or "I would like to ride your villa" he'd know something is amiss and after a few laughs and phrasing the requests differently I'd get my meaning across.

It wouldn't do for negotiating an important business deal, but that's not what it is intended for. Maybe in 10 or 15 years it will be useful for that, too.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

My nipples explode with delight.

1. DuncanL

Would you like to come back to my place? Bouncy bouncy!

3. The Travelling Dangleberries
    Black Helicopters

Fewer jobs for translators at the NSA...

...that is the main reason for auto translation, right?

Or maybe something that international dating agencies could make good use of?

Or useful for offshore call centers selling fixes for all those terrible trojans on your computer. There is no need for your employees to even speak the language of the person they are helping scamming any more.

4. Chris King
  5. msknight

So when...

...are they going to include a, "management speak," translator? Could really do with one of those.

6. caffeine addict

Considering how god awful the Microsoft powered translation on facebook is, I dread to think what this will be like...

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I asked Google to translate what I wanted to say about machine translation into a few languages and back again, and what came out was "It is never enough simply to return the machine to Iceland". But I guess that confirms what I wanted to say.

1. Mike Shepherd
      Meh

That's the lease of your probe wanes. Miss herd statements mean machine transition the generates soon into the in reprehensible.

8. AJames

Shame about how well it works in one language

At one time I used Skype a lot to speak with family and friends, but then Microsoft took over and thoroughly broke it. Now it needs constant updates to work at all, and I can never call anyone or receive calls using Skype because it no longer rings or beeps for incoming calls or messages on Android or iOS for any of us. Skype ignores questions about this issue this in their support forums, apparently thinking that the solution is for everyone to use Windows phones. Pretty much everyone in my circle has moved on to other apps like WhatsApp. Most of them no longer have Skype installed.

9. present_arms

Does this mean

I can now skype Nadella and tell him to fuck off with windows 10 forced upgrades in 7 languages? sweet :D

10. nilfs2
    Windows

2010 called...

...they want Skype back

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Re: 2010 called...

Did you warn them?

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/2009_called.png

11. netean

Why?

Whilst this sounds like a very cool technological advancement I just can't get my head around why anyone would be using it?

How often would you need to phone someone and speak to them if neither of you have a common tongue. International business is pretty much done in English and how likely are you to want to do business with someone who doesn't understand you? How many of your skype, or email contacts don't speak English (at all) and of those one how much actual benefit will you get from real time Skype translation over cut and paste Google Translate via email?

If you're not using Skype to talk, then i can only think that you're using Skype for cam sex and in those kind of situations if you're talking you're clearly doing it wrong!

1. psychonaut

Re: Why?

My german grandparents dont speak english. My german is terrible. This will be, if nothing else, funny to try out

12. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

If it is

Windows only, what's the point of including HipsterSpeak, I'm sorry, Slacker?

What it really needs is obviously a Strom module. Oh deer...

13. Dolapevich

fsck that fscking CRAP.

What we needed was a fat client not fsck bloated, without ads, simpler, with Linux/Unix/*BSD client. I mean, basically what we had before M$ bought the thing.

I hate M$ SOOOO much.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like