back to article Stop, look, listen: Don't be 2016's DevOps roadkill – here's how to survive

Search the term “DevOps” online and you get a plethora of stuff. The problem is not lack of content – the problem is sifting the wheat from the chaff. Navigating your way through can be both daunting and confusing. This in turn makes it a challenge to know where and how to get started. Those purveying DevOps need to offer a …

1. John 104

Dev Ops Week?

What's with the overwhelming number of these articles this week?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Dev Ops Week?

You'd almost imagine that they're sponsored articles, wouldn't you? Or that there's a Reg event coming up on this fad. I suppose it's a small price to pay for the rest of the material, particularly since ad blockers are probably used by Reg readers a lot more than most.

2. Lysenko

They're illustrating their subject matter. Continuous Delivery of articles with trivially small changes per iteration. This ensures they consistently match the quality metrics of that well known journalistic icon: "Phil Space".

This one wasn't actually that bad:

Buzzword quotient: Low

Sales pitch: Low

Cynicism: Refreshingly present

Rock Star Consultant Name Dropping: Virtually non-existent

Zero Credibility Industry Analyst Endorsements: Low

Fitness for Purpose: High. Page successfully filled.

I'm sure usual services of Clouds, Hyperconvergence and Storage will be restored shortly. Personally I'm dying to know what the CEO of EMC had for breakfast last Tuesday.

3. Charles Manning

This is a conspiracy to make you feel inadequate and go to some damn expensive DevOps seminar.

Hears: "Buzz, buzz... DevOps... mumble DevOps...."

Reads: "Sweden is doing DevOps. Why aren't you?"

Thinks: "WFT is this DevOps stuff? I better find out more before the boss asks me and I don't know.... Hmm that seminar at $LOCATION looks good. Nice pool they have!"

It's early in the year, still lots of training budget left.

Devops seminar giver: $PROFIT; Sucker's employer: $POORER

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

As I understand it, DevOps just means talking to each other. Give everybody a chat client; publish a project list of who's doing what and throw a couple of your favourite end-users/major clients into the directory and you're done.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Sage words

You don't understand it at all. Well done.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Sage words

Go on then...enlighten me, O Wise One. In as few words as possible.

1. Disko
          Holmes

Re: Sage words

article says to use teh goggles, you can do it

3. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

How to survive DevOps?

Easy.

Just ignore the hype and get on with doing your job.

It won't be long before a new bandwagon comes along and everyone but the wise will jump on it.

Any useful bits from the DevOps fad will hang around and might get used by companies when they mature.

After a number of years you can successfully adopt the

Been there

Done that

Got the 'T' shirt

So?

Stance to new fads.

4. teknopaul

I skipped most of it

Who where they advertising?

5. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Another day,

another DevOps piece on El Reg...

6. Bbbbit
    FAIL

Groundhog Day!

Except I do not see Bill Murray. There is quite an industry out there of parasitic marketing twats taking the generic phenomenon of people working together, communicating, using common sense, having the skills to do the job and generally not being wankers and then branding it so they can hawk this nonsense to cretins.

Can El Reg please tell us what these plonkers pay to curl out this meaningless trash onto their website and perhaps we can have a whip-round and replace it with something better; a rerun of "Bod" maybe?

I leave you with the final word on the matter from a certain Mr Hicks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UlapnsFLhc

PS: This is the second time I have posted a response like this in a few days. If only we had more fascinating storage articles. Sort it out Reg!

PPS: If I look to right of these comments I see 8 articles in "Spotlight". 50% are DevOps of which 100% are total twaddle.

1. Disko
      Pint

Re: not being wankers and then branding it

We definitely need a word for the process of just getting the job done.

DeWonks? UnWanks? PHB-free? PowerPointLess? Low-Tool ratio?

It maybe too late for some, but it's never too early for a pint!

7. Disko
    FAIL

lost me at every turn

>>an important cog in a wider business operational wheel

just made me puke in my mouth a little

some think analogies don't

others abhor the whole idea

many can't even

>>advocates of DevOps buoyed by the pace of software delivered by the

delivery pace buoys, today I learned some new physics for the

>>new age market

where I shall buy my essential DevOils and Patch-O-Li

are you trying to impress PHBs because this article just reeks of bulletpoints

tl;dr: could you not. this is drivel.

1. Amorous Cowherder
      Facepalm

Re: lost me at every turn

"Patch-O-Li", that's the oily stuff Hippies used to rub into leather jackets isn't it?

8. JohnMcL

DevOps - another structure for the incompetent

Like (fr)agile, DevOps is just another "safety jacket" for the incompetent who can't communicate properly without someone else setting out how communication should be done. These incompetents, many in management, are responsible for forcing competent people into jackets with strange sleeves and unreachable buckles.

If the IT business is too difficult for you then get out of it find something more suited to your abilities, like basket weaving.

9. 1Rafayal

I think the problem with the devops articles that El Reg has been putting up for the last few months is the fact they don't really know what it is, which is good as most of the comments show the same.

I have been in devops now for 10 years, from before we called it devops (release team used to work fine). The niche has changed somewhat over the last 3 or 4 years as it got more fashionable, but it still carries out the same function: build stuff, test stuff and deploy stuff the same way for each SKU you are dealing with.

Sounds easy, right? Well it was until you had Dev teams all over the world using different SCM (if they used any). Then there is the project management aspect. Most PM'S used to be very creative with their estimates, devops helps them tell the truth, amongst other things. So now you need to link the results of the build to a project ticket that is hopefully in Jira, or similar.

Then its off for test configuration etc, and that's even before you build the environment prior to starting the deployment, read salt and ansible there (my current favourite is saltstack).

This is all a gross over simplification of it all, of course. Would live it if the reg actuality spoke to some devops people as the basis for an article

1. Bbbbit

@1Rafayal

"I have been in devops now for 10 years, from before we called it devops"

Then does this not just confirm what a lot of us 'tards have have been venting at? Your concise comment has given us more useful information than all the recent DevOps article to-date combined. We are just being sold a branding exercise by marketeers rather than deeper technical specs that we could actually implement (wholly or partially) ourselves. Perhaps I am not the audience and hundreds of thousands of PHBs read The Reg and are primed for the Jedi-mind-trick from buzzword-laden spivs but the majority of comments would suggest otherwise.

1. 1Rafayal

Devops is a funny old world. A couple of years back before it became trendy, you would normally get devs, analysts, architects etc that didnt want to do the same thing over and over again with dev work in the release team.

Now though, it is a chance for the talentless to hide in plain sight as most senior managers dont really get what devops is meant to be, they just heard it was important from some article written somewhere (see above)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like