back to article Petit a petit, l’oiseau fait son nid: AWS to open data center in Montreal

Amazon Web Services will open its first data center in Canada later this year, allowing folks to use AWS's cloud services in North America but not necessarily in the US. The new region will go live in Montreal, Quebec, and will compete against nearby rivals, such as OVH. AWS also offers locations in Northern Virginia (US East …

1. Quortney Fortensplibe

Weary != Wary

"...For international organizations weary of keeping their data within the US..."

I'm seeing this quite often of late. Hopefully just an overlooked auto-correct and not the latest American fuckwittism to 'go global' and do my blood pressure no good.

1. frank ly

Re: Weary != Wary

I agree but they might also be weary of all the research and checks they have to do with their lawyers to make sure they are operating within their own country's legislation regarding data privacy.

2. batfastad

Jurisdiction

This is a genuine question. The Feds might think they have jurisdiction over AMZN. But knowing how sensitive people are to where their stuff is stored, would having Amazon regions owned by Amazon GBP 2016 Eire Ltd, Amazon 2016 GmbH or Amazon Cayman Holdings etc make any difference? Surely Amazon are doing something similar to that anyway for tax reasons, or some other more beneficial-but-still-legal financial juggling! I sure as hell would.

Or do the Feds/US Govt just assume that because they originated in the US and listed in New York that all international subsidiaries, even if legally non-connected, are part of the parent?

1. quattroprorocked

Re: Jurisdiction

Isn't this why everyone is watching the Microsoft vs USA case re data in their Irish data centre?

3. JimmyPage Silver badge
    FAIL

Sigh ...

And this evades the PATRIOT Act how, exactly ?

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Re: Sigh ...

"Take off, hosers!"

1. Ken 16 Silver badge

Oh yeah, Mister Wizard, you know, eh?

2. GX5000

Re: Sigh ...

It doesn't, it take aim at it....

4. Martin Taylor 1

Petit à petit??

I'd like to think you mean "peu à peu".

1. Sleep deprived

Re: Petit à petit??

Both are correct, but likely for the sake of rhyme, "Petit à petit" is always used in this expression.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like