back to article New Year, new Git: Version control system updated this week

The Git community was obviously working hard over the festive break, and slipped out version 2.7.0 of the control system earlier this week. The new version includes yet another array of updates and fixes, the full list of which you can peruse here. Github highlighted more flexible naming for git bisect, the tool for working …

1. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Lifesaver

git bisect saved me many hours of frustration tracking down an extremely old and obscure bug.

2. Pompous Git Silver badge
    Joke

Momentary panic when I read the headline...

... until I realised that I wasn't being replaced by some new and presumably improved version.

1. Thecowking

Re: Momentary panic when I read the headline...

"Now 40% more pompous, with an improved feature set including 3 new smug modes and a telecondescension mode, letting you look down on people from anywhere in the world.

Tomorrow's pomposity today, but only I'm smart enough to understand that."

1. Dave Taflin

Re: Momentary panic when I read the headline...

A workmate saw a traffic sign that said, "Dip in the road," and was concerned that I might be hit.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sad :-( thanks for the fish.

Near the of our GIT/Atlassian road. Management are buying TFS becuase its Microsoft, and nobody gets fired for buying Microsoft.. (Yes, people really do still sadly believe this)

I would tell them about Microsofts continued march toward GIT underpinning TFS rather than the ancient sourcesafe engine, and they are buying an inferior version of what they already have, but they won't listen, and I'm looking forward to that warm smug feeling when yet another top down forced implementation driven by clueless individuals fails (again)

1. deive

Re: Sad :-( thanks for the fish.

Have fun with that *shudder*, I've just managed to get our stuff move out of TFS to GIT :-)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Sad :-( thanks for the fish.

That's the irony lost on management. Microsoft are adopting GIT, infact everyone man and his dog are adopting it, including Enterprise, via GitHib Enterprise or Atlassian Stash.

Our management are followers, the worst kind, the ones that follow just as everyone discovers their mistakes and are planning their exit strategies...

Still there is plenty of work sweeping up the fallout :-)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like