back to article Secret shaggers, rejoice! Now you can blame that Hyatt credit card bill on hackers

Hyatt Hotels Corporation says it “recently identified malware on computers that operate the payment processing systems for Hyatt-managed locations.” The hotelier says “As soon as we discovered the activity, we launched an investigation and engaged leading third-party cyber security experts.” The chain's asking customers to …

1. a_yank_lurker

Details?

The Hyatt information is very light on details. Is due to shyster/flacks trying to prevent more difficulties or is it due to have only sketchy details at this time? They would be well advised to provide details on the scope of the problem and how it happened without throwing someone under the bus (looking at you Target).

2. Frumious Bandersnatch

Quantum of Solace

Thanks, El Reg. Explaining right now to the missus how the many-worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics works. Specifically, how virtual particles (ie, receipts that purport to show a parallel me booked for a liaison in a certain hotel) can spontaneously (and with no intent on my part) be created and impinge in our classical universe.

Fingers crossed ...

3. Tony S

Just once

I've only once had an issue; and the bank picked up on it almost immediately and contacted me to query if it was me making purchases. Partly because I had used the card at a petrol station the day before, and the subsequent transaction was in the USA less than 20 hours later.

But the agent dealing with the case said that it was primarily because the order was of what he rather coyly described as "an unusual nature" for me. When I pressed for more details, it appeared that it was a purchase of $800 worth of lingerie; and not the kind composed of satin, lace and bows, but rather of vinyl, buckles and belts!

A good job that I didn't have to explain that one to SWMBO!

1. The Quiet One

Re: Just once

My wife's card got done a few years back, the Bank called up straight away to ask if we were in Vegas buying jewellery?

Alas, we were in a rainy Sidcup. The card was replaced, money was returned within a couple of weeks. No fuss whatsoever.

A good job, well done by the bank,

4. Slacker@work
    Paris Hilton

Do they own....

Premier Inn?

*ahem* Just out of curiosity of course!

Paris - Blowed if I can think of a reason

5. VinceH

Optional

"The chain's asking customers to keep an eye on their credit card bills, on the off-chance that the folks responsible for the malware injection have gone on a room-booking spree.

And that's about all the chain is saying,"

Yeah... but no.

Since the malware was apparently "on computers that operate the payment processing systems" and they don't specifically say that card numbers have been compromised, you might infer that the worst the crims can do is book rooms.

On the other hand, from "we encourage customers to review their payment card account statements closely and to report any unauthorized charges to their card issuer immediately" I'd infer card numbers probably have been stolen and can be used for more than just booking rooms with the Hyatt chain.

6. Captain Badmouth
    Holmes

Reading between the lines...

The hotelier says “As soon as we discovered the activity, we launched an investigation and engaged leading third-party cyber security experts.”

In contrast to the leading third-rate cyber security experts previously employed, one assumes.

7. ecofeco Silver badge

Another week

Another breach.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

Blame that Hyatt credit card bill on hackers?

Does this Hyatt exploit run on anything else except Microsoft Windows?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like