back to article Microsoft mandates browser-extension defence to malvertising

Microsoft is placing the onus on browser-based security architectures to shield users from malware-laden ads. From March 2016, programs that create ads in browsers and that are served from the Microsoft network will have to use the browsers’ supported extensions to operate. Those building ads must therefore be sure their …

1. Zippy's Sausage Factory

So... really strict rules for running on Microsoft's ad network, but nobody cares if you're running on someone else's network?

Seriously though they can't win - enforce this, everyone goes elsewhere. Enforce this for other networks, expect lawsuits.

Never an MS fan but they're at least trying to do the right thing here. It'll probably be the death of their ad network, though. Which, given that they're trying to make ads behave nicely, is a shame.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Tim 11

Didn't understand a word of that

Maybe I'm being dumb, but I thought an advert was just an HTML element on a web page (possibly an iframe) which is served from a web server. It's no different technically from any other content. What has this got to do with browser extensions?

1. Tom Chiverton 1

Re: Didn't understand a word of that

I think MS are saying if you are an adware writer then your program must use published Windows APIs, or else. It's not about ads in-line on the remote web site, but those inserted by a local program.

1. Sven Coenye

Close. The article is confusing as it leads one to believe this is about the ads proper. The MS blog is also none too clear, but it is more obvious there they are talking about adware extensions to IE. And the only thing they will enforce is that the extensions need to show up in the list of installed extensions, and they need to respond properly to enable/disable/uninstall commands.

I'm just wondering how many of those crapware flingers are currently serving ads off Microsoft's network. Unless that turns out to be significant, this exercise is mostly a PR stunt. And if it is significant: what took you so long dammit?!!!

1. ksb1972

Personally I've never found the uninstall button for IE Add-Ons. Could someone be so kind as to point me in the right direction please?

1. david 12 Silver badge

"Personally I've never found the uninstall button for IE Add-Ons. Could someone be so kind as to point me in the right direction please?"

Tools | Manage add-ons

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Me neither. I'm not sure if it's something I missed out on by not running Windows or something I missed out on by running adblockers. But as far as I can see it seems to be something about an extension sitting in the browser generating adverts. Such a notion should be an anathema to any intelligent person.

4. Your alien overlord - fear me

So if I'm writing malware (not advertising) via the Microsoft ecosystem, I'll be fine then?

5. Christoph

If this makes adverts easily identifiable by the browser it will be a gift to ad-blocking programs.

1. BlartVersenwaldIII
      Black Helicopters

...and what makes you think microsoft will want ad-bloc... I mean, malicious third party software interfering with their ad-deliver... I mean, trusted information conveyance software?

Apologies if I'm misunderstanding, but to me this sounds like MS are preparing their own "safe" advertising network that will be secure against tampering, including I assume tampering from the end-user, by way of extra stuff bundled into the browser. I wonder who they got the idea from...

6. OffBeatMammal

not an issue in Edge

I thought they'd already made that a non-issue in Edge because there are no extensions (as such the only time I used it on my home machine was to download Chrome and install LastPass and AdBlock)

1. asdf

Re: not an issue in Edge

Tails OS iso LiveCD in Virtualbox VM (both are free software to download and what I used Edge for) in seamless (unity) mode for web browsing for me. That way if you get infected by anything (not as likely on cutdown Linux instance) its sandboxed in VM and gone next time you reboot as VM runs off read only iso. Only mild pain is once a month or so having to download new 1 gig Tails OS iso (security updates, etc). Also get the added bonus of nearly untraceable private browsing (especially if you tell windows to encrypt your host swap file and clear on shutdown).

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Does this mean...

...that all Windoze users can now eliminate illegal Win10 file downloads and Malware SPAMMING by Microsucks to update to Win10? Why has the FTC and FCC not issued a cease and desist order to Microsucks for this blatant violations of law including illegally accessing a PC with these file downloads?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Does this mean...

I see you've finished school for the holidays then. Still only a few more years to go and you can leave permanently.

8. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

browsers’ supported extensions

Is (for example) DOCX a supported browser extension?

Or is there a "supported extension provided that macros are disabled" stipulation needed to go in there?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well

that'll be downloads.com's revenue source buggered then.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like