back to article Oz Anglicans embrace Darth Vader

Those of you requiring proof that Oz's Anglicans are indeed a broad church should cast your eyes over this remarkable shot captured recently in Bondi, NSW, by reader Howard Owens: Photo in Bondi showing Darth Vader following procession of Anglican clergy Yup, it's clear Darth Vader has shunned the dark side and is well on …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

"Darth Vader doesn't really exist"

I find your lack of faith disturbing...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Darth Vader "doesn't really exist"

What do you mean? He's there in the photo; that's better evidence than you'll get for the existance of God!

Mine's the long cloak with the hood and the lightsaber in the pocket...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

shunned the dark side?

Why is he then seen with these guys?

4. TeeCee Gold badge
    Dead Vulture

Get yer tenses right!

That should be "didn't really exist".

Afetr all it was a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away..........

5. Steve

"since Darth Vader doesn't really exist"

Hey, there's more evidence for Vader than there is for God!

There's also far less scope for conflict over the interpretation of *force-choke* You have failed me for the last time *force-choke*.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

that god does not exist

Douglas Adams had published a prove that god does not exist, but Darth Vader is not god therefore he exist ... as you can see on the picture

7. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Well

was was DV a legit precessionor or was it some prankster who just decided to join the line.. (At least his costume was better than a bin bag!)

8. Gary
    Thumb Up

How do we know...

that it wasn't his brother Chad?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wGR4-SeuJ0

9. Echowitch
    Dead Vulture

Kids Today

Its comments like that "Vader doesn't exist" which explain why kids today are running amok. In my years of growing up we knew to rightly fear Lord Vader. He may have been wearing green and white and telling us how to cross the road but that "Green Cross Code Man" we knew was really the Dark Lord of the Sith in disguise waiting to catch us out.

If he was still pursuing that simple deception kids today wouldn't be stabbing one another and getting drunk. They'd be too ruddy scared of Darth Vader to do anything but huddle in their homes abiding the law or else....

**Force-choke** Gakkk urrrkkk Force-choked Vulture

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bondi

Where in Bondi was that? Don't recognise that car park.

11. Andy G
    Coat

Isnt that . ..

Jeff ???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv5iEK-IEzw

lol

/Mines the one that *isnt the one you are looking for*

12. Elmer Phud
    Alien

Who sez he's left the dark side?

We only have the words of blokes in frocks to tell us they are the good guys. 'Holy hand grenade of Antioch', Crusades and all that stuff. Darth may well be next up for Archbish of Canterbury.

"Death Star of wonder, Death Star of light, Now who the fuck are we off to fight?"

13. Nic Brough
    Coat

Glad to see

Jedi finally being accepted as a religion, just as valid as the other fairy tales.

<mine's the pirate outfit with the noodles in the pocket>

14. iSuff44
    Coat

But......

Darth has a son out of wedlock.

Cue the News Of The World.

"Darth in son on the other side shocker with drill, sex and Bambi!"

Mines the one with the slow news day editor.

15. TimM
    Happy

Jedi religion

It's good enough for the UK census, so valid religion in my book.

16. P. Lee
    Coat

Isn't it ironic, dontcha think

Given the main thrust of many of the comments, its ironic that the photo so graphically depicts the limitations of scientific observation!

I'm not getting my coat, I'm greeting the invisible man.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

The greatest trick Darth Vader ever pulled

was convincing The Register he didn't exist.

Coat.

18. Johann
    Stop

Nothing to do with OZ

It was a spoof by the Vantrú, an associtation of agnostics here in Iceland http://www.vantru.is (Icelandic only) at the local annual priest conference.

The proof:

Just check out the parking sign at the back in the picture, that's icelandic, not english.

Here's the original news (again, only in Icelandic): http://mbl.is/mm/frettir/innlent/2008/06/11/svarthofdi_a_vegum_felagsmanna_i_vantru/

This shows that "reader Howard Owens" is a lying tw@

19. Luther Blissett

We know the Pope's a Catholic

But do we know if Catholicism is what it used to be?

20. Tawakalna

or in Lord Vader's own words..

arrr oo be sayin oi doesnt exist now the moi loverrrrr, oi exists as much as the next man or sheep....

..noice Burberry..

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Something to consider.

Many years ago a friend of mine offered the following syllogism:

Darth Vader is Princess Leia's father.

Princess Leia is Carrie Fisher.

Eddie Fisher is Carrie Fisher's father.

Ergo, Eddie Fisher is Darth Vader.

(The friend was named Deborah, but not Reynolds.)

22. Sacha TF Padovani
    Go

What number am I? A gazillion?

Your sad devotion to that ancient religion has not helped you conjure up the stolen Pope tapes, or given you clairvoyance enough to find the Orthodox' hidden fortr…

I find your lack of faith disturbing..

23. Johann

When did Bondi get moved to Iceland?

It was a spoof by the Vantrú, an associtation of agnostics here in Iceland http://www.vantru.is (Icelandic only) at the local annual priest conference.

The proof:

Just check out the parking sign at the back in the picture, that's icelandic, not english.

Here's the original news (again, only in Icelandic): http://mbl.is/mm/frettir/innlent/2008/06/11/svarthofdi_a_vegum_felagsmanna_i_vantru/

24. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I know that Catholicism has changed over the years...

...but how do we know that the Pope is a Catholic? ...or indeed human?

Or... given the fact that Jedi is now recognised (in some circles if not all) as a genuine religion, further weight is added to the already convincing argument (that silly transconfiguraion gif available from all good popup-infested avatar sites) that Ratsenburger is in fact a sith lord.

25. Rodrigo Rollan
    Coat

The pope is The Emperor

In case you have missed it, the current Catholic Pope looks like the Emperor / Senator Palpatine. Is this an elavorate attmept of the dark side on religions ? Will this spawn a new Clone war with many Dwayne Jhonson (AKA The Rock) look alikes dressed in plastic white costumes running amok ? what will be the result of Directive 666 for us ?

Mine´s the one with the funny looking pills in the right pocket

26. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

It must be a sad life...

Being a hard line Atheist. No enjoyment of art, no tolerance for the beliefs of others, an annoyingly smug attitude, total, blind, unquestioning belief in dogma with no ability for critital thinking and living in a world where you think people only do things to further there own position.

27. Elmer Phud
    Happy

re: 'sad life'

'an annoyingly smug attitude' if that's the case, do you think they would really give a shit whether you approve or not?

28. Echowitch
    Alien

Pope Catholic ??

"..but how do we know that the Pope is a Catholic? ...or indeed human?"

To quote Bender......."Is the Space Pope Reptilian?"

Hmm new Pope resembles Palpatine, Vader seen at Icelandic Church, Jedi religion acknowledged.......yes clearly its all a setup to allow the creation of the Jedi, then wipe them out to teach all the other religions not to fuck with Catholicism !!!!

Order 666 - "We must move quickly. The Jedi are relentless cry babies. If they are not all destroyed, it will be civil whining and complaining without end."

29. Throstur Braga
    Thumb Down

Incorrect location of Vader.

This picture was not shot in NSW, it was shot in Reykjavik, Iceland.

Evidence: Look at the "P" - it says "gjald" which means "Fee" in English.

Don't get the sheep based economies mixed up, please.

Thumbs down because of a blatant error in Geography.

30. Eric Crippen

Sad Life???

I admit I have an attitude, but it's more like offensive (why only partially commit with annoying). That has nothing to do with atheism, but more because I'm just a jerk. It brings me great joy to point out irony or display sarcasm to others. Nothing sad about that, unless someone beats me up, but then that's pain and reflection.

Appreciation of art and tolerance of others beliefs has nothing to do with the belief in something that doesn't exist (which is your responsibility to prove exists, not mine to disprove). I appreciate art, music, plays, movies and books. Just because some of them are fiction doesn't mean that I can't enjoy them. I accept that the characters don't exist and are a means to convey a story or concept.

My critical thinking is what led me away from belief, in spite of years of indoctrination as a child, threats and harassment (which is all that's really needed to keep most people in line).

I'm more likely to believe that there is a planet of wookies out there in the universe because the odds (however slim) are more likely.

Besides, I've always found it amazing that atheists don't need to congregate to remind themselves of what they believe (like any other group, protecting ones rights has forced atheists to start banding together). Atheism has survived longer than any religion and it's consistently present in even the most draconian theocracy.

31. Steven Raith
    Go

Sad Life?

Being an atheist, I could quite happily pull apart that entire post with counter arguments and examples of just how utterly, utterly wrong you are on every point, but instead, I think I'll post the definition of "Bigot" from Wikipedia:

"Bigot is often used as a pejorative term against a person who is obstinately devoted to prejudices, even when these views are challenged or proven to be false or not universally applicable or acceptable."

Because it fits perfectly. I think there is an irony of someone railing against atheism [and presumable being religious in some way - otherwise you'd be describing yourself, surely?] fitting the above description so well, but I'm too lazy to tease it out.

At least I don't make baseless accusations about peoples character and lifestyle based upon nothing more than a word used to describe their religious leanings, or lack thereof. I make decisions about people based upon what they say, do and behave.

I have decided that you are a bit of a twat, and a bigot to boot, not based on the idea that you *might* be religious, but based on the fact that you are clearly incapable of separating 'religion' and ' character and behaviour of an individual person', which is the mark of a true idiot. And as we all know, idiocy transcends all religious barriers...

Thanks for the opportunity of a Friday afternoon rant, I'm off to the pub :-)

Steven R

32. J
    Happy

@ Crippen & Raith

Second (most of) that.

33. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@ Crippen & Raith

Well said you two,

I really couldn't work out how dickface managed to reach all those sweeping conclusions based solely on someones refusal to be a slave to superstition.

34. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re: Sad Life

I'll make one small addition to the cavalcade of responses. You're confusing 'atheist' and 'amoral', which is a common mistake.

As is the whole their\there\they're thing, but it would be childish of me to point that out.

I don't need a book written a few thousand years ago to tell me what's right and what's wrong. Why do you?

Ad

35. Trevor

Sad Life

I've read the Bible...and I can't even bear to call it a good book. The plot is sketchy, characters are weak and badly presented and fiction is presented as fact, also most readers beleive the tosh contained on the pages...Thinking about it I now, I know where Dan Brown got the idea.

36. le jono
    Gates Horns

I love this

How the sci-fi world and the religious world have come together.

BISHOPS LOVEs SCI-FI!

37. Janus

Re: It must be a sad life...

"No enjoyment of art," you say?

"Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth..." (Exodus 20:4)

So, god is supposed to *increase* your pleasure in art; which god was that, again?

38. Turbo Beholder
    Alien

it's typo

> shunned the dark side?

> Why is he then seen with these guys?

> - Anonymous Coward

"shunned _by_ the dark side", so he 's with these guys ?

39. ShaggyDoggy

arghh

It's wookiee not wookie

40. David Cameron Staples
    Alert

Not only but also...

Not only is the street signs being in Icelandic a clue, but the ruffs those priests are wearing are not part of the vestments of any Anglican communion. They are characteristic of Scandiwegian Lutherans.

Just thought you'd like to know.

41. Deng

Its Not Bondi

the chick in background is not wearing a bikini / also doesn't appear to be Irish and drunk.

42. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bigot

>> I think I'll post the definition of "Bigot" from Wikipedia:

>>

>> "Bigot is often used as a pejorative term against a person who is obstinately devoted to

>> prejudices, even when these views are challenged or proven to be false or not universally

>> applicable or acceptable."

Well if Wikipedia says so it must be true.

43. Doug Lynn

Since Star Wars occured far, far away in a galaxy a long, long time ago....

Hi, he with the good side of the Force, Obi Wan and Luke Skywalker must have been Angelican prists and converted Dark Vader. Praise the Lord! And by the way just because you don't believe in God, does not mean he doesn't exist, the evidence is all around you but you are blind.

Discover for yourself the message of HOPE that God brings to man — presented chronologically from the foundation of the world to our own time. http://ChristianAnswers.Net/hope/home.html

44. mutt1170
    Pirate

Athiesm and toelrance

"It must be a sad life... Being a hard line Atheist. no tolerance for the beliefs of others"

We have "tolerance" for your beliefs - it's you we don't like.

Mine's is the one with a dystopian view of the future.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like