back to article VMware finds back door for US military mega-deal, but Nutanix, Citrix protest again

VMware's foes have again protested its attempts to strike a new deal with much of the US military. VMware spent much of 2014 chasing the US$1.6bn, five-year deal, which was to cover the US Army, Navy, Air Force and Defense Information Systems Agency. That deal was controversial because it was done under “A Justification For …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The best option...

The best option really might be VMware. The ONLY complaints I hear about VMware is the price, most people think Microsoft or Citrix is cheaper. In reality do you really always want the cheaper kit?

I could tell you a bag of dog food is cheaper than McDonalds....

1. Rocket_Rabbit
      Happy

Re: The best option...

True but the Dog food will be better for you :)

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

In this space you may very well be right but horses for courses and lol I can tell you Virtualbox with its very liberal licensing just rocks for running Tails OS (to get secure browsing on windows) so that I can post this. No worrying about licences at all ftw. Granted slightly different use cases.

3. a_yank_lurker

Feral Government

The ferals often try to write specs that force vendor lock-in whether there is a real technical justification or not. If you have been around feral purchasing you know this is the game. Often the competitors complaint are correct; the specs are written to lock out most vendors and provide the favored vendor the best possible chance to ink the deal

Whether sole-sourcing is legitimate in this case, it is hard to say without the specs. But knowing the ferals and the game, I tend to doubt sole-sourcing is legitimate.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Feral Government

True enough. I spent most of my career challenging sole source to no effect. Hell, I was receiving responses ten years on after I was put out to pasture. Wow. I hadn't realized how slow the System really is.

Doing a small contract and then piling in all and sundry is Classic Federal Procurement practice.

4. Pancakes

The reason the claims were dismissed was because the RFP was withdrawn when the complaints came in. So there was no case anymore.

You are making it look like the Citrix and Nutanix had a weak argument, but they had a very strong one.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like