back to article Visual Studio Code: Let's talk about Extensions

Visual Studio Code is a lightweight, cross-platform and open source code editor that you can download for free at http://visualstudio.com. In the third of this short series of articles, published in association with Microsoft, Sergii Baidachnyi, a Tech Evangelist at Microsoft Canada, will dive into the editor's extensibility …

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. gobaskof

I don't get the hype

I don't really understand why El Reg is giving a whole series of articles to what appears to be a rather normal code editor with pretty standard features and a rather ugly default theme.

At least it seems pretty upfront on the the website about what data they are slurping from you.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I don't get the hype

It looks like a paid-for advertorial. I'm getting similar articles pushed by e-mail to me from other tech sites.

1. wolfetone Silver badge
        Thumb Down

Money doesn't always talk, it also helps an author write a glowing reference about something that's really just ordinary and done better elsewhere.

Don't sell your soul to the devil El Reg - if it's not too late!

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Given that recent changes appear to reflect cost cutting, it's likely already too late. Now would be a really good time to bring up a subscription-like offering, even if only voluntary. New year and all that.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Re: I don't get the hype

And just to point out - we publish about 13000 articles a year - Currently 20-30 of which are "in association with" and clearly labelled as such. We always try to make these editorially valid.

We think the three articles in the particular series are straightforward demos of a new editor by someone who knows it inside out.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Okay Drew, how about the other two thirds of the post? (Past first sentence to be pedantic, which I surely am almost all the time.)

3. midgen

Came to my favourite tech website, saw an article I might be interested in, found some useful information (Chrome debugging is now available, great! *installs*).

THE HORROR, SHILL ALERT!

4. JLV

>I don't get the hype

Would we be having a hissy fit if it wasn't from one of the Nazghuls, i.e. MS, Google, Apple?

I don't like VS std, not one bit. This one is of moderate interest at best, seems like it cribbed Sublime Text (not a bad thing). But, who knows, a free cross platform, non-Java based, editor, maybe it'll end up useful to some later? Not a bad thing for MS to launch, choice is good.

And a Linux-able editor from MS? Global cooling in Hell? Flying bacon? Toothy hens? Chairs now safe from sweaty CEOs? Surely the Reg would be remiss not to cover such weird news.

Live and let live. Don't like it? - don't read it, install it or use it. But the Reg was pretty open it's an MS article, no great harm done.

Or would y'all prefer Outbrain/Taboola/Zerg sources of income? Heck, even Forbes carries these now.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like