back to article Man faces 37 years for sarcastic post insulting royal dog

A Thai man faces up to 37 years in jail for publishing a "sarcastic" Facebook post about the king's dog. Thanakorn Siripaiboon, 27, has been charged under the country's lèse-majesté laws, which seem to have been expanded to cover not just Thailand's royal family but its pets too. Thanakorn's crime was to "like" and share a …

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

This sounds like an excerpt from a Neal Stephenson novel

Unfortunately, it ain't.

I can't imagine it will be long before "our" duhmucratic "leaders" decide to take a page or two from that particular book..

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

duhmucratic

Beautiful… there's a new addition to the vocabulary.

Of course, if the Thai monarchy thinks the criticism they get from their people is bad, I suggest they don't take up office here in Australia and go read the political sections of the newspapers.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: a Neal Stephenson novel

We all get the government that we deserve. If Thais enroll in the military, serve without question and simply follow others, then it is their brothers who impose these things on them. The Western democracies are no better: look at America's current clown comedy of presidential nominees, and the people backing them, to learn a painful lesson.

Humans have not improved during these past centuries. Sadly.

1. Anthony Hegedus Silver badge

We have not improved much, no. It is often heard said that our distant forebears were just as clever as we are. I suggest that that statement needs turning around: We are just as fucking stupid as we were when we lived in caves.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Humans have not improved during these past centuries. Sadly."

"Our elected leaders have not improved during these past centuries. Sadly."

TFTFY

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

And what about the un-elected ones (more relevant, in this case)?

1. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

If Thais enroll in the military, serve without question and simply follow others, then it is their brothers who impose these things on them

Extreme poverty is a very useful tool to keep people in line. Which may explain the decline of democracy and economy closer to home, by the way. Worried people have less mental bandwidth.

3. Random Handle

Re: This sounds like an excerpt from a Neal Stephenson novel

>I can't imagine it will be long before "our" duhmucratic "leaders" decide to take a page or two from that particular book..

Too late. 10 years ago in the UK a student was charged for calling a police horse 'gay' - granted the cops were only hoping for a few days in prison (non-payment of fine) rather than years.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/oxfordshire/4606022.stm

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: This sounds like an excerpt from a Neal Stephenson novel

"sarcastic post insulting royal dog"

For some reason I assumed it was about Fergie....

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

> lèse-majesté laws

Do they speak French in Thailand these days?

1. MattPi

They spoke (and most of the road signs) were in Thai and English when I was there a few years ago.

1. WatAWorld

lèse–majesté is a word in American English. It's listed in Merriam Webster.

If you want to look up what these laws are, in a law text book or wikipedia, you'll need to know the proper legal term to search on. That term is in fact "lèse-majesté".

1. Ken 16 Silver badge

"American English"

So is entrée but it doesn't mean what you think it means.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: lèse–majesté is a word in American English. It's listed in Merriam Webster.

Wouldn't insulting a king's dog be more a case of Lassie-majesté?

3. Fink-Nottle
          Meh

Re: lèse–majesté is a word in American English

I congratulate our North American commentards on the refinement of their regional dialect.

2. Fink-Nottle

Sprinkling a few French phrases in one's conversation is the bonnet de douche of sophistication, as Del Boy would say ...

3. dorsetknob
      Pint

I once had a thi curry from our local takeaway

Fit for our king they said

well it had me shitting through the Eye of a Needle next day

Back to eating poor mans chicken tika for me

Larger the drink for your Ruby and if its heinasomthing its also Fit for a King

1. Jedit Silver badge
        Joke

"I once had a thi curry from our local takeaway. Fit for our king they said"

Perhaps making bad curries that give people the galloping shits and saying they're fit for Thailand's king is why they're over here running a takeaway. Back home they'd be jailed.

1. Dadmin

Re: "I once had a thi curry from our local takeaway. Fit for our king they said"

Speaking of having the shits, doesn't every dog in the world roll in every shit it finds on the ground? That's all I could think of when 'er vagisty was describing this mangy cur's pompous behaviour, royal or no. Still, this is no different than the new Terrorist™ laws that our cuntries [sic] are bandying about; "he spelled it 'crisis' so he must mean ISIS, that's Terry™ Talk© so lock up him up extra long until we get confessions and such, and also dump our NSA database, then delete the evidence you found and just give the Terrorist™ Flavoured summary. Job well done! Secret funding all around!"

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

No, this goes back to an era when people thought it was a sign of class to speak French. In some countries, that idiotic idea still exists (typically if the country is multi-lingual).

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
        Happy

I enjoy the idea that there's no english word for lingua franca, even though the global lingua franca is now english...

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I enjoy the idea that there's no english word for lingua franca, even though the global lingua franca is now english...

Isn't that Spanish or Chinese if measured by volume?

2. disgruntled yank

Wow, those showoffs

Next thing you know, they'll call you in for a voir dire. I hope that the revelation that the courts here still issue writs of habeas corpus won't make you thing us still more pretentious.

3. td97402

Only in Thailand

You can go to jail for 37 years for insulting the Royal Dog whilst officials don't do much about the slave labor in the Shrimp and Seafood processing sheds.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Only in Thailand

You might say the royals over there are barking mad…

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Don't post this sort of stuff under your own name if you plan to go to Thailand. Yes, seriously, it can be that bad.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Don't post this sort of stuff under your own name if you plan to go to Thailand. Yes, seriously, it can be that bad.

I've been in Australia for nearly 32 years now, having been born there. Never had a passport in that time, and don't see me getting one anytime soon. Overseas travel is too much of a minefield, so I'll stay put thanks.

2. WatAWorld

Making fun of the king one day, making fun of slave owners the next.

And the last thing they want in Thailand is people making fun of slave owners.

4. Mark 85
    Black Helicopters

Could it be...

...that the dog should now be in line to be king? Just asking since the dog seems more popular than the people who are in line. Uh-oh... hey... I was praising the dog.

1. Glenturret Single Malt

Re: Could it be...

Bit difficult to become king as the dog is female.

1. WolfFan Silver badge

Bit difficult to become king as the dog is female.

Are you saying that the King of Thailand is a queen?

Or, possibly, a bitch?

1. x 7

"Are you saying that the King of Thailand is a queen?"

I don't think he is........but the Crown Prince is reputed to be one. Thats one of the problems facing the Government

5. perlcat

objoke

This place is going to the dogs.

1. dotdavid
      Thumb Down

Re: objoke

It's a sad tail; they're barking up the wrong tree with this sentence. They shouldn't be hounding social media users, why don't they paws for a moment and think about what they're doing?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

progress

Forty years since the Sex Pistols appropriated the image of our own dear monarch for their album sleeve.

Don't think we can blame any demise of British society on that single act.

I'd suggest the Thai royalty lighten up, but as article is clear - the laws serve to aid repression not to preserve respect.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The Queen's corgi though...

is really shit in bed.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: progress

"Forty years since the Sex Pistols appropriated the image of our own dear monarch for their album sleeve."

It wasn't the album that featured her, it was the "God Save the Queen" single.

Anyway, given that they used his canine's back-story to bolster the Thai monarchy, I guess you could say that *this* was a case of "Dog Save the King".

7. JustNiz

Surely the onus is now on us as members of the civilised, free world to swamp the internet with as many jokes, insults and photoshopped images about the Thai royal family as possible.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The Thai King and Queen are actually very lovely people. The article here has other things to say about the Prince.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

More difficult- but also more worthwhile- to ostensibly make fun of the king while making clear that the ultimate target of the criticism is the military's blatant abuse of lèse-majesté to protect their own power.

8. WatAWorld

If the photo is so offensive you can't show us then here it would fail obscenity laws

Why can't you show us the satirical photo?

If the re-touched really is so truly horrible it is not fit to publish even in the UK, USA and Australia then I think that is a relevant fact that should be in all articles on the story because then the story isn't about lèse–majesté laws but about common variety obscenity.

So which is it? A valid story about lèse–majesté laws, or a BS tale about lèse–majesté laws surrounding true obscenity?

Does the Register editorial team think the re-touched photo really is so terrible that it would offend the sensibility of UK, US and Australian readers?

I notice The Guardian wimped out too, and they also operate in those same 3 countries, each of which has strong freedom of speech laws. Those actions by 2 reputable papers lead me to think the photo really is obscene and would run afoul of our own laws.

(If you operated in Canada, I could understand it. A check in Wikipedia or a call to Canadian lawyers will reveal Canada has both extremely broad 'hate laws' and the broadest libel laws in the Commonwealth. That is why our press is so tame, boring and yellow.)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: If the photo is so offensive you can't show us then here it would fail obscenity laws

37 years for obscenity not involving sex acts with anything living is reasonable huh? Yes Western prudish behavior is bullshit but this about Thailand making an asshat of itself. My first rule of any country is do people commonly starve to death there not out of choice or mental illness? If the answer is yes the country needs to accept its a shithole, fix itself and STFU until it does so. Thailand is one of these countries.

2. graeme leggett Silver badge

Re: If the photo is so offensive you can't show us then here it would fail obscenity laws

The Thai authorities don't show the "offensive" material (even in evidence?) because that would also be insulting.

Hardly any point in supressing something and then letting papers print it.

Sounds also that when faced with threat of a decade or more in jail, the perpetrator 'confesses' to get a reduced sentence. So no awkward appeals - how tidy.

3. Robert Helpmann??
      Childcatcher

Tongdaeng is a respectful dog with proper manners; she is humble and knows protocol. She would always sit lower than the King; even when he pulls her up to embrace her, Tongdaeng would lower herself down on the floor, her ears in a respectful drooping position, as if she would say, "I don't dare."

I had to read this part twice before I realized that it was not in fact part of the satire in question. How would one even begin to satirize something like this? It has pretty much got the job done of itself.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@ WatAWorld

and Canada was recently the most "free" country in the world. If this is true then the world is in a worse situation than I thought or hoped. All signs, in Canada, lean toward increased Corporatization with TPP, Bill C51, FIPAs and too many others to remember, but here's an article that suggests Canada's pretend greatness http://news.nationalpost.com/full-comment/canada-under-conservatives-was-the-freest-and-most-tolerant-in-the-world-study-finds

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Most of the world is a dumpster fire

Proving once again to be a developed country you don't really need to be that special. You just need to avoid being a uneducated corrupt shithole with a self destructive culture like 75% of the rest of the world.

10. x 7

Thai dogs? Plenty of those in the local massage parlours

1. John Doe 12

Best comment here and all the miserable f*ckers downvoted you!!!!

11. harmjschoonhoven

Are the stamps

self-adhesive or do you have to lick to the dog's rear?

12. Winkypop Silver badge
    Facepalm

Dog of a law

Insulting a dog, eh.

It's no wonder these people have to hang onto power via force.

Reminds me of:

All I did was say to my wife, "That piece of halibut was good enough for Jehovah!"

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Dog of a law

"You're only making it worse for yourself!"

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Scientific enquiry...what sort of penis size would be required for that level of insecurity?

I found the quote from the "etiquette" book a little disquieting...the dog behaves like that because it's a fucking dog. A pack animal. So is he expecting people to behave like that too? Also he'd be fucked if it was a Great Dane with the height thing.

14. Bernard M. Orwell

Streisand Effect

"In this context, a multi-decade jail sentence for being sarcastic to a dog starts to make sense."

No, it doesn't. Not for a second. It'll never make sense to a reasonable person.

" In reality, he adopted the dog..."

So, he's a liar.

"Tongdaeng would lower herself down on the floor, her ears in a respectful drooping position, as if she would say, 'I don't dare.'"

And that's a dog that has been beaten.

I know who I'd like to see take a long stretch in prison; This so-called royal PoS, but I guess I'll have to settle for finding the original images and ensuring they are used to highlight this bullshit. I guess this "king" has never heard of the Streisand Effect.

1. JayB

Re: Streisand Effect

"In this context, a multi-decade jail sentence for being sarcastic to a dog starts to make sense."

No, it doesn't. Not for a second. It'll never make sense to a reasonable person.

------------------------------------------------------

Well, no, of course it doesn't. However, despite your selective quoting to criticise the author, they do rather cunningly say "in this context" after having described a bat shit crazy and psychopathic regime.

He did NOT say "hey when you explain it like that, any normal person says 'now I get it, rock on' ".

Looking at the insanity that is Thai Military junta, I am REALLY glad Spitting Image isn't still around, they'd have had a field day, and probably got themselves into very deep crap.

1. Stoneshop
        Trollface

Re: Streisand Effect

Maybe people should take a leaf from Monty Python's Oscar Wilde sketch

15. s. pam Silver badge
    Pint

Que Pasa Bato, Fido Tacos anyone

I once went to a upscale taqueria in Mexico City with some co-workers whilst working there. The meat was grey, but tasty and with a few beers, seemed ok.

They asked me on the way back to the office how I liked DOG Tacos? Perhaps a nice Dog Pud Thai would be more to the King's liking?

16. SoloSK71

Another reason not to visit

in addition to the promotion of child sex tourism

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Another reason not to visit

"in addition to the promotion of child sex tourism"

Is there a big market of children looking for sex holidays then? I thought the problem was mainly German middle aged men sex tourism....

17. R Soles

Meanwhile, here in the civilised West (Germany), insulting a politician can land you in jail for up to 5 years ( Section 188 of the German Criminal Code)

1. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
      Joke

In this context that suggests insulting politicians is 7.4 times less bad than insulting a dog. Sounds fair enough

2. Dadmin

Even that sounds extreme! I'd protest that crap and get the dialogue going to get the law fixed, or at least updated for fair use and comedy purposes. I'm glad to live in a country where we can use at least some of our so-called free speech to entertaining effect. Hell, even that awful skeleton-criminal Rupert Murdoch has a whole "news" cable TV show running 24 hours to do nothing but tell us how bad those mean old democratic-anything are and how it's ruining our "culture" of guns and secret funding and not so secret bribery. It's a very funny show, if you get a chance to see it, it's called Fox News and even though the content originates in Australia, it's painted so red/white/blue that you'd think every day was the US Independence Day! Plus every single female on the show is a super-hot, sexy idiot! What's NOT to love!?

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Meanwhile, here in the civilised West (Germany), insulting a politician can land you in jail for up to 5 years ( Section 188 of the German Criminal Code)

Thankfully there isn't much left to say about politicians that can still function as a genuine insult instead of a simple statement of fact.

18. hapticz

PETA rights must be fully endorsed!

as these obedient and loyal animals (dogs) can exhibit far more in the way of dependable friendship and defensive capacity than so many two legged 'friends'. I say the King, Queen and their obedient prince deserve a pledge of honor from the great PETA organizations on the planet. Long live the underdogs!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: PETA rights must be fully endorsed!

Oh dear. There is no dog.

19. Stoneshop

And just today

the mutt died.

Probably the Thai variant of voodoo (with coconut cream and red peppers)

1. x 7

Re: And just today

did someone snuff the mutt?

More importantly, did it taste nice? Thai curry anyone?

If some of those videos you find online are to be believed, some Thai women like to eat their dogs in more than one way........

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like