back to article App Store clean-up follows allegations

Members of Apple's brand-new App Store have cleaned up their act after accusations of unprofessionalism and queue jumping to get their software noticed by iPhone users. Apple iPhone School first highlighted the fact some developers were inserting special characters - spaces, quotes and numbers - in front of their applications …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

I Cannot Believe Apple Allowed This

I assumed that primo space would be awarded to the highest bidder.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Mostly Shit

There may be a few decent apps but most of them are poor imitations of stuff that has been available on jailbroken phones/ipods for ages.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Woz

Before accusing Woz of queue jumping, I seriously suggest you check your facts as gizmodo has eventually done:

http://gizmodo.com/5024648/sneaky-steve-wozniak-with-posse-cuts-in-line-at-san-jose-iphone-3g-launch

They referred to the original cnet article done with little or no fact checking. Cnet even changed their article title to suggest they were wrong along.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

AAA Posting

As others have pointed out elsewhere, developers will start to name their applications "AAA Solitaire" and so on. Perhaps the only real answer is for Apple to take away alphabetical sort? After all, how often do you need to see a list of applications sorted alphabetically? If you know the name, you could enter it into a search field.

5. Martin Nicholls
    Jobs Horns

Haha

"Before accusing Woz of queue jumping, I seriously suggest you check your facts as gizmodo has eventually done:

[..]

They referred to the original cnet article done with little or no fact checking. Cnet even changed their article title to suggest they were wrong along."

Yeah come on el-reg - check your facts or face the consequences: wrath of fanboy.

The actual story is irrelevent, as long as wozniak's name isn't dragged through the mud by lowly internet reporters like yourselves.

6. Gulfie
    Stop

Poor Show

I can't believe Apple is enforcing such a low level of quality control over the applications being sold, and this just reinforces how low it is...

...wake up Apple and get your house in order (or is it Store) before it gets a bad name and people return to unlocking as the primary means to load software

7. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

@Martin

It's true y'know. Hellboy was originally called Fanboy, but they changed it because it was just too terrifying for a general audience.

Brrr.

8. Rob

by the way

i dont have a problem with the guy, i thought it was kinda funny, but then everyone shouts and screams about having his name 'cleared' - i dont see anyone else being able to call up a shop to reserve a place at the front, or getting away with handing out tickets from 5th place on like he supposedly did before

9. Rob

woz

didn't exactly queue up like everyone else though did he,

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

re: Haha

"Yeah come on el-reg - check your facts or face the consequences: wrath of fanboy"

Erm, so journalists shouldn't bother checking their facts?

Troll

11. Ben Bufton
    Dead Vulture

About Woz

First - it was right for Anonymous above to correct Reg regarding Woz. Journalists have a responsibility to be truthful and accurate and their assertion that Woz had cut the line was neither. The content of the mistake (in this case Woz queue jumping) is irrelevant - the fact that the error was there was just poor journalism.

Sarah's "Hellboy" reference is just embarrassing and juvenile.

And Martin - Sarah may think you're a "swell guy" but that all you have contributed to this post is bashing somebody who wanted to put forward a balanced counter opinion (complete with researched links to back up his assertions) makes you a - well, you already know what that makes you don't you.

12. Rob

boo hoo

yes, that was shoddy journalism, i want my money back

13. Ben Bufton
    Paris Hilton

@Rob

... because if something is free... it's ok to be crap.

I see what you did there.

14. Rob

if something is free

it may be crap, but you won't have missed out by ignoring it in future

I could sit here all day posting comments whining about things I haven't paid for that I don't like, then again, I don't have all day to spare

15. Thomas

I don't really think the price is relevant

Surely the point is that The Register hold themselves out to be a journalistic news source, but the poster is complaining that they are not properly journalistic and so are being dishonest.

Personally I have no idea what the Woz story is, leading to no opinion about The Reg's half-mention of it. But I do think that dishonesty is bad whether or not I have to pay to be exposed to it.

Re: the actual story, obviously Apple have been idiots. I wonder how much manual work their employees have had to do to maintain sanity in the iTunes Music Store all this time...

16. IR
    Go

Like the Yellow Pages

The Yellow pages lists hundreds of plumbers with the names "AAAAAAA...1111... Plumbers", with the lists of A's and 1's getting longer each year as they fight to be first.

Often a good thing to remember is that a good plumber doesn't need to rely on getting plucked from the YP since they have a good reputation by word of mouth so can get by with only a regular listing under their real company name. Likewise with these apps.

17. Rob

yeah

technically woz did push in, what a twat

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like