back to article Team America, world police, take down 37,479 counterfeit sites

A band of merry world police lead by the United States Customs and Border Protection service shut down 37,479 copyright-infringing websites hawking counterfeit goods in the lead up to the Cyber Monday buying blitz. The takedown involved varying forms of collaboration between 27 countries including the Britain, France, Denmark …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

F off world police

Great, where am I supposed to buy my "counterfeit" goods now?

Also Pharmaceuticals aren't luxury goods. Indian generics FTW.

1. Mystic Megabyte
      Joke

Re: F off world police

>Great, where am I supposed to buy my "counterfeit" goods now?

Go to theregister.it where upvotes win meds!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: F off world police

Bit of difference between Indian generic pharmaceuticals and Indian counterfeit pharma (or counterfeit generic pharma)

Even if the active ingredient is actually present, qc could be poor, and as for taking responsible action in case of product recall.....

2. John Tserkezis

This is yet another carry-on from the music and film industry, who mistakenly think that buying a knock-off, means only that you're taking food from the mouths of the "authorised" sellers and manufacturers.

Bollocks.

The truth is, no sane person would spend $5000 on a fucking handbag. But they would spend a couple of hundred bucks on a knockoff, and be happy with it.

1. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

The truth is, no sane person would spend $5000 on a fucking handbag. But they would spend a couple of hundred bucks on a knockoff, and be happy with it.

True, but if thousands of people do so then the genuine article stops being desireable. Where's the fun in being seen in your £500,000 Ferrari, if there's a £25,000 lookalike parked outside every pub? Don't underestimate the value of being seen to own something exclusive. That's where the luxury manufacturers worry about losing out.

1. teknopaul

fuckem

If a luxury goods market only works with huge cash spend by nation states policing the world. Let it die.

Protecting consumers from being ripped off with poor quality fakes is a more noble cause.

I don't think the help my poor Lamborghini's Street cred line is a vote winner.

3. DainB Bronze badge

Aliexpress ?

Nope, still there and selling same crap.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Aliexpress ?

I've had good luck with them buying electronic components and such but, then again, who else have the oddball ones I look for? And follow up is apparently a must for them. Given how often I've been burned by first world firms, I'd give them some slack. Unless something really changes, Aliexpress will continue to get my custom.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

American laws don't apply in other people's countries

Now fuck off....

1. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge
      Coat

Re: American laws don't apply in other people's countries

"other people's countries" ?

I think I see where your misunderstanding is...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: American laws don't apply in other people's countries

Best read that TPP again, Barry.

5. Chris G

Good news for the lawyers

Who are pursuing some of the knock off makers. Less good news in reality for consumers as there is now less competition and choice. Whoever is making your products 'caveat emptor' applies, you just have to be a little more careful in some places.

6. Alister
    Unhappy

Whenever I see the words "Team America" I immediately think to myself "fuck yeah".

I wish I didn't.

1. Tomato42
      Joke

I suggest looking up video game Broforce - it's basically US foreign policy simulator

2. dmacleo

I think of this and immediately have to watch it again and again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEaKX9YYHiQ

7. Ed@theregister

Remember, there is no "I" in "Team America".

1. Alistair
      Windows

@Ed

Remember, there is no "I" in "Team 'Murrca!"

FTFY

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Take down".

Zero hour: DNS records get changed to redirect infringing web traffic to copyright infringement page.

Hour +1 (upto hour +24) : Infringing website is tweaked to update logos to new website name, tweaked website goes live via new URL.

Hour +24 > 76 : Emails / word of mouth get around, new website back in business.

Hour WGAF : "Legal" wrangling to prosecute owners of original website name: Undelivered letter. Un read notice at original URL.

Totally pointless.

Even the bi-annual police raids in China markets, they do a couple of arrests and take down one or a few stall (out of hundreds) to be seen to be doing something. The stall holders know in advance (apart from the new / thick ones), hide the stock, and are selling it again a couple of hours after the "raid".

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Free trade, open markets!!!

* Conditions apply

10. rtb61

Defending Marketing

Reality here, they are not defending quality products against inferior copies, they are defending advertising dollars spent on selling inferior products and quality products, basically all said and done, they are defending PR=B$ because of greedy corporations.

Laws should be about protecting consumers and not about protecting marketing lies.

11. x 7

what pisses me off is that often the goods are real - but deemed "illegal" because they've been imported via back door routes, not via the brand owners inflated distribution network.

The sooner the rules are changed so that goods really can be openly traded via parallel import systems, the better.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This is a good start

Now only about 5 billion and growing daily more criminal sites to shutter.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like