back to article Struggling to understand Docker? Let's start with a Minecraft demo

Explaining containerisation can be tricky, so Docker has turned to a medium it reckons everyone can understand. Minecraft. The vendor used its EU conference this week to demonstrate how to use Minecraft as an interface to its technology, via Cuberite, a scriptable Minecraft server. Thus Docker containers are visualised as …

1. IHateWearingATie
    Devil

GTA V could be used for Management Consultants, but may have too much inbuilt morality to use as anything other than basic training.

Would suggest Tetris for Civil Servants - the mindless repetitive action with no discernible output or end goal would get them in the mood

(have been both the above so I'm allowed to be mean about them)

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yet more evidence that the Docker folks treat "open source" as little more than a marketing term.

There are several Free software Minecraft alternatives which they could have integrated with, but they chose the one which requires payment, and authentication with a central server controlled by proprietary interests.

Boo, I say. Boo.

3. Your alien overlord - fear me
    Happy

How about using Minecraft to show newbies how to play Minecraft ?

1. DrXym

There are countless ways to "play" Minecraft so which one in particular would be the right one?

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

The one that teaches you to survive more than one game day ?

4. streaky

10 year olds..

we’d suggest things might be easier if you just have a ten year old handy and just use theirs

Offensive much? :)

1. The Boojum

Re: 10 year olds..

Disagree completely (the comment that is). I will/can not play any game that takes more than about 15 seconds to learn so I need a 10±2 year old to tell me how to work Minecraft. And when they show me round their creations they do so at a speed approaching that of light, so I'm completely lost.

As a (single) parent to two such objects I found the paragraph in the article completely, absolutely, 100% on target.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: 10 year olds..

Indeed, I remember when minecraft was the sole preserve of computer nerds, I'm pretty sure a ten year old didn't code buildcraft / industialcraft / galcticraft / redpower etc...

5. auburnman

I like this game...

Surely civil servants would be better served by Paper's Please

Generic Office Clerks have the Stanley Parable

Any more for any more?

1. Ross 12

Re: I like this game...

Politicians and bureaucrats have Tropico

6. Anonymous Custard
    Joke

Marxism

To quote that well known technological futurist, Groucho Marx:

“A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.”

7. David Robinson 1

Any zombie processes would be have the perfect in-game representation.

There is the danger of feature creep(er), which may blow up in your face.

8. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

How about a /working/ demo?

The page which the article refers to really shows the narrow mindset of a modern company. I mean, here are the (10) steps to run the demo:

1. Install the Minecraft client, you'll need a Minecraft account.

Done, I'm actually a Minecraft player myself so no problems here.

2. Run the following commands: "docker pull gaetan/dockercraft"

So I open up a command window (cmd.exe) and....

C:\Users\Peter>docker pull gaetan/dockercraft

docker wordt niet herkend als een interne

of externe opdracht, programma of batchbestand.

C:\Users\Peter>

In other words: bad command or filename.

Great demo indeed! Isn't a demo supposed to allow people unfamiliar with the software to learn how it works? So why rely on the software you're trying to demo in the first place?

1. PeeKay

Re: How about a /working/ demo?

You need to enter that into Minecraft's console - press 'T' or '/' to bring up the chat window, and then enter the command in here.

Reference: http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Commands

2. Kubla Cant

Re: How about a /working/ demo?

C:\Users\Peter>docker pull gaetan/dockercraft

To execute docker pull you need to have installed Docker and to issue commands in the Bash shell that's installed with it.

Docker doesn't seem to live very comfortably on Windows. Not only do you have to use the shell (which annoyingly seems to have replaced the Bash shell that comes with git) but it seems to work with a very memory-hungry VirtualBox VM.

The Minecraft thing looks like a gimmick. Anyone doing the kind of job that requires Docker should be able to understand it without recourse to a game that really has nothing to do with it.

9. Shark? what shark?

Real programmers use Doom to manage their systems

http://www.cs.unm.edu/~dlchao/flake/doom/chi/chi.html

10. Chika

This takes me back!

I once taught a former boss to use a mouse using the game Lemmings.

To be honest, I've had a play with this whole container thing and I'm not totally sure about it. But then I don't play games that much... ;)

11. styx-tdo

brings me back..

https://www.cs.unm.edu/~dlchao/flake/doom/

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like