back to article Pure gives its flash boxes some 3D TLC

Pure Storage wants to be its flash array customers’ best friend forever with announcements lowering flash storage cost and improving its availability. The Silicon Valley biz is now supporting 3D TLC flash, the three-bits-per-cell stuff that has an endurance long enough for enterprise use. Other flash array suppliers using this …

1. Dmitriy Sandler

More marketing hoopla, but where's the meat?!?

Disclaimer: I am an employee of Nimble Storage

Ok, so Pure is using 3D NAND TLC. I still fail to see why this qualifies as a big announcement, especially with the flare of such a production. Pure is by far not the only one, and certainly not the first, storage company to implement 3D NAND TLC into their product lineup. Kaminario has been using these drives for some time. Nimble Storage has already begun shipping them as well. So Pure is once again actually just playing catchup to other vendors, the only difference being a very expensive marketing production to make it look otherwise (some of us want to be fiscally responsible companies).

It is said that Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, and we certainly thank Pure and others for acknowledging the disruption Nimble has brought to bare on the storage industry with InfoSight. However, comparing Pure1 to InfoSight as similar platforms is simply misleading. Case in point: Nimble collects 30,000,000 -1000,000,000 unique data points from each system on a daily basis (not counting per-VM analytics). Per Pure's own description of Pure1, they collect 10,000 data points. I'll let readers to the math to see if you can really compare the two platforms. There are a slew of other massive differences in the actual analytical capabilities of the two platforms that I will reserve for a different post if necessary, but suffice it to say that calling Pure1 an imitation of InfoSight is already giving it too much credit. As a side note, system upgrades are managed by Pure support because they have to run manual system and health checks before the upgrade. Why not build that into the platform itself and automate the entire process? Nimble has done that since day 1.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: More marketing hoopla, but where's the meat?!?

This post is so much more better when you read it in the voice of a frustrated 10 year old throwing a tantrum.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

What's nimble to do?

The more they sell, the more money they lose.

The less they sell, the more money they lose.

Perhaps PROFITABLE sales should become a priority at Nimble and not collecting data points?

3. decoy_underpants

And how are Nimble's earnings doing?

Focusing on a number of data points is silly unless you can articulate WHY it makes a difference. I can tell from the way you speak that you once worked for EMC.

2. Dmitriy Sandler

You Call That Big Data?!?

Just to follow up, here's a fantastic blog from Nimble's VP of Support detailing the vast differences (and competitive stats) of InfoSight vs imitation.

http://bit.ly/1SIQvPl

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: You Call That Big Data?!?

After their appalling Q3 earnings report today, perhaps Nimble should concentrate more on collecting revenue instead of sensor readings.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nimble poo flinging

It's sad to see Nimble reduced to this -- attacking and crying foul against their competition. I used to have a lot of respect for them.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon