back to article Intel's Omni-Path InfiniBand-killer debuts at sizzling 100 Gb/sec

Intel's putative InfiniBand-killer Omni-Path has been revealed as the centrepiece of the enhanced Scalable System Framework (SSF) announced at the Supercomputer 15 conference (SC15) in Texas. First announced at the pitch for the American government's HPC “Coral concept”, under which the industry is asked to deliver a 180 …

1. John Stoffel

and I thought 10gb/s ethernet was fast...

This is some sexy tech... but so far beyond most web server, horizontally scalable services that it's not funny. I'm looking at your Netflix. Though I admit it would make a dandy backend for their storage servers.

Having worked in ASIC chip simulation support for the past 12+ years, it's nice to have a fast network, but even more important to have lots of RAM on your systems.

John

1. Mikel

Re: and I thought 10gb/s ethernet was fast...

Netflix isn't doing supercomputing - they're streaming huge static content to globally distributed nodes. A wholly different problem. And they use AWS, not in-house supers. But yeah, 40Gbps networking has been pretty standard for years now. It was time to step up the game.

1. Tom Samplonius

"And they use AWS, not in-house supers..."

Widely repeated, but wrong. Most Netflix content is served from Netflix's own hardware. It isn't clear what they use AWS for, but it isn't serving video.

1. QLP

"Widely repeated, but wrong. Most Netflix content is served from Netflix's own hardware. It isn't clear what they use AWS for, but it isn't serving video."

My guess is that they use AWS for user/device authentication, billing, collecting "big data" re: viewing habits and details, items in the wish/want lists and data about the actual stream, corp infrastructure, web asset hosting, etc.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like