back to article Cement company in sacks out for the lads rumpus

A Spanish cement manufacturer has been called to account for its persistent and blatant use of large-breasted women to punt its wares. Cementos La Unión recently found itself in a Valencia court accused of sexism, following legal action by Spain's Institute of Women, a tentacle of the Ministry of Equality. The Violence Against …

1. Mondo the Magnificent

PC = Portland Cement?

Political correctness gone mad?

I await the day Ikea face the court's wrath for using flat chested women assembling flat pack furnishings...

Also, the dolly bird in the Spanish cement advert was rendered, so if the Judge was a Tomb Raider player, I suspect they may just get away with it...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Women!!

As if any of those filing the complain will have ever bought a bag of cement in their life anyway.

Perhaps a countersuit against the entire fashion and makeup industry, afterall when was the last time you saw a bloke advertising eyeliner??

1. Anonymous Coward
        Thumb Down

Re: Women!!

You mean like every video from The Cure? Ziggy Stardust? Every news anchor on the planet?

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
        Paris Hilton

> bloke advertising eyeliner??

"Pirates of the Carribean" was not that long ago?

3. Captain DaFt

"As if any of those filing the complain will have ever bought a bag of cement in their life anyway."

Which shows how successful the ads were.

Women who never thought twice about cement are now talking about it!

(And complaining about ads full of self-assured, successful women.)

2. Zog_but_not_the_first
    Facepalm

OK

Slightly naff advertising, but aren't we all taking ourselves a bit too seriously these days?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: OK

You don't understand the current sentiment in Spain with regard to violence against women and an effort to stamp out traditional Spanish machismo. It's been going on for quite a few years and there's hardly a news programme that doesn't mention the tally of women killed by their partner during the current year. Not long ago my wife tripped and we went to the local clinic, nurses came from everywhere to see if they could "help", there was a definite air of expectation. Violence against anyone is abhorrent but the at the moment the campaign against domestic violence is more like a witch hunt.

From the comfy of the UK, or indeed elsewher, it might be considered naff advertising, here, given the current climate, it's a different matter.

1. Zog_but_not_the_first

Violence against women or anyone else is, of course, a bad thing. But prompted by cartoonish images on bags of cement? Really?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I'm only explaining the background. I agree with you, but as I said think witch hunt or if you prefer inquisition.

1. Zog_but_not_the_first
            Joke

A Spanish Inquisition. I didn't expect that.

2. Martin Budden Silver badge

Violence against women or anyone else is, of course, a bad thing. But prompted by cartoonish images on bags of cement? Really?

Yes, really. It goes something like this: portraying women as merely sex objects and not actual people fosters the mentality that women exist only to be used (and by extension the feeling that it doesn't really matter if they are abused). OTOH portraying women as actual people fosters the mentality that we are all equal, which helps create a culture of mutual respect. This stuff really does make a difference, therefore all media creators have a responsibility to portray women appropriately, hence the legal action.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Can't have any lumps and bumps

Smooooooth it out lads!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Can't have any lumps and bumps

Hold it....

That bit needs hosing down.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sexy != Sexist

And Sir Tim Hunt still hasn't got his job back, you know.

5. graeme leggett Silver badge

lab pic

For some reason, there's a lot of use of blondes in laboratory advert photos.

Is it a tonal thing - light coloured walls, light ceiling, light bench, white lab coat, pale blonde?

6. knarf

Diet Coke

Diet Coke adverts which objectify men for women are ok?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Diet Coke

Not to mention all those chippendalesque guys fawning over Amanda Holden et al in various yoghurt adverts.

2. Efros

or indeed any advert/comedy/drama that portrays men as knuckle dragging brain damaged incompetents who couldn't find their arse with both hands in broad daylight. At some point society will actually realize that fuckwitism and other attributes are really not gender specific, your gender/sexual orientation does not give you immunity to being a fuckwit.

3. Youngone Silver badge
      Flame

Diet Coke adverts which objectify men for women are ok?

Yes, they are. You are obviously not aware of the concept of the double standard.

7. NorthernCoder
    Coat

I have nothing concrete to add...

...so I'll just get my coat

1. PNGuinn
      Joke

Re: I have nothing concrete to add...

...so I'll just get my concrete overcoat

FIFY

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Isn't producing a smaller, more manageable pack a positive step towards unisex cement work? That's what I'd be trying in court in their position, anyway.

1. Martin Budden Silver badge

From an OH&S point of view it's a good idea for all people regardless of gender: 25kg is heavy, 35kg is asking for back injury.

9. Dan Paul

Why are Women so insecure?

Why are women such suckers for leftist/feminist propaganda? Can't have a political movement without perceived "victims"? Is that it? So they have to manufacture their controversies to gin up support.

Cartoon pictures of "idealized" women on a cement bag are not a threat to any live person, EVER.

The fact that the representation of her breasts is greatly overamplified just makes the figure more unrealistic and if feminists ever had a sense of humor, more comedic than real. They didn't bitch about Rosie the Riveter lithographs and she's well endowed in many representations AND a symbol of feminism.

Honestly, I thought it leaned towards being more inclusive by placing a female figure on a cement bag (male dominated construction industry and all) and gave credence to the fact that a 25 pound bag of cement would be easier to lift than a 35 pound bag.

1. PNGuinn
      Flame

Re: Why are Women so insecure?

I'd suggest most women are not so insecure, and live perfectly normal lives, earning credibility and respect like any normal person.

They are not helped by the bleeting c******ati and "libbers" who have so much to portray all women as pethetic, helpless cripples - yes lets use a non pc word while we're at it - to the detriment of REAL progress towards decency and equal opportunities.

No, I don't support violence or exploitation - of either sex towards the other. No, I don't like seeing gross anatomical excesses used to sell things. Tell me about the product - if it's any good - which i suspect it isn't - I might be interested.

/rant.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

for those who dont want to trawl the whole 6 mins the cleavage is at 1:10 to 1:20

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

cleavage at 1:10 to 1:20

Exactly. And why wasn't this information in the, er, body of the story?

11. Your alien overlord - fear me

Easy defense - bring a bag of 35KG cement and get the girlies to shift it into a cement mixer. Then point out 25KG is much easier.

And does the smaller bag have an easy opening so they don't break their nails?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The flaw there is that I doubt many men would manage to lug about the smaller 25Kg bags of cement either.

12. Teiwaz

'Sacks out' is a very tenacious 'innuendo' for the topic - 'sack' is usually associated for male anatomy after all.

I saw nothing 'too' anti-female in the animation. The female character was in control, and cleavage was hardly emphasised (she was behind the cement for most the clip). Plus she was clearly working harder than the men in the clip.

In comparison the second clip was dull corporate dross. Not that cement is particularly exciting anyway.

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Cement

"Not that cement is particularly exciting anyway."

That is so wrong on so many levels. As any of the top men in the field will tell you.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Are large breasted women allowed to work in Spain?

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I thought every product in Spain was sold this way?

Sure seemed that way last time I was there (1999)

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Beautiful Fighting Girl

There is a sexy hunter-killer robot (incidentally played by an actual female good at making frowns and lowering the forehead, which is an animal gesture to protect the eyes and out-of-place in robot behaviour) on the right -->>>

I'm not saying, I'm just saying....

16. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Are you guys for real?

What's happened to El Reg in the last 48 hours? Seems to have been overrun by troglodytes on the comment boards on this and other stories.

There is a difference between sexy and sexism. Former good, latter bad.

There is a difference between manly and macho. Former good, latter bad.

There is a difference between a woman portrayed in an ad as a participant in the narrative that the ad is trying to tell and a woman portrayed in an ad as big-busted decoration. Former good, latter bad.

If you still need someone to spell it out for you, ask your daughter, wife or sister.

1. Donkey Molestor X

Re: Are you guys for real?

> If you still need someone to spell it out for you, ask your daughter, wife or sister.

To ask their daughter, wife, or sister, the vast majority of men who comment on this site would have to first CARE about their daughter, wife, or sister. /g/, /pol/, and /r9k/ are leaking and the quality of the Reg forums are poorer for it. redpilled, former "nice guys" as far as the eye can see.

they hate feminists and wish they would "lighten up" but as soon as they see a picture of a woman drinking from a cup labelled "Male Tears" they start crying to doxx her and going "dat means jizz buhuhuhuh"

guys, let me break it down for you. you didn't get the date because you were "too nice". you didn't get the date because you were too ugly. try to be less repulsive to the opposite sex. she doesn't want to know about your Figma collection. do a fucking sit-up, maybe a fucking push-up. the girl you had a crush on was beautiful, not ugly, right? so, if you want to be desired it would probably be a good idea to be handsome, not ugly.

2. Ed_UK

Re: Are you guys for real?

"If you still need someone to spell it out for you, ask your daughter, wife or sister."

If you still need someone to spell it out for you, ask your wife, mistress or girlfriend. Or maybe ask all three.

[Credit: Borat]

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like