back to article That great sucking sound? It's data going into the public cloud

Nearline storage in Google’s cloud is a new front in the vigorous marketing war being fought by public cloud providers to grab your data and convert your storage CAPEX into OPEX, meaning income for them. Some recent advances in cloud archive storage, cloud access gateways and hybrid on-premises/cloud data management are …

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge
    Coat

ORT (Overall Response Time)

As it's cloud surely they could have arranged an acronym with an extra O in it.

I left mine at Comet

1. Daniel von Asmuth

Re: ORT (Overall Response Time)

Don't you wonder how much faster those response times would have been if the data had been stored on an SSD inside the client PC? Does this system achieve huge speeds by caching all of the data locally?

2. Graham Cobb Silver badge

Encryption?

Genuine question... do these cloud storage gateways handle encryption? So, that the local cache/copies are unencrypted, for fast access by the applications, but the cloud stores encrypted objects (with only the data owner having the keys)?

It seems like that may be an effective fix for "safe harbour" for some classes of use (those where the data export is just for storage purposes, not for processing). I am an active campaigner for privacy but even I think there is little problem storing data in the US if it is strongly encrypted.

1. RFC2196

Re: Encryption?

Proofpoint do this for their archive service - not sure about many others.....

2. Jeffrey Tabor

Re: Encryption?

Hi Graham,

Avere Systems provides the encryption you are looking for. We use AES-256 encryption that's FIPS 140-2 (military grade) compliant and we support KMIP so you can manage your keys onsite.

See our website for more info on our product.

http://www.averesystems.com/

Jeff

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Public Cloud?

No Chance. At least if my current employer wants to:-

1) Remain in Business

2) The MD etc wants to stay out of jail.

To those who spout the complete bollocks such as 'The Cloud (meaning OUR Cloud services) is the solution to Life the Universe and Everything' then go tell that to the likes of GCHQ/NSA etc etc and see what sort of reception you get.

anon because we are fed up to the back teeth of Cloud Snake Oil salesmen coming around and talking through their A**s.

We are implementing a Solution that some might be call 'the cloud' totally internally. i.e. Elastic provisioning of our server farm.

All sensitive data is encrypted as is all the networking.

Public Clouds are for those who don't mind their sensitive parts being squeezed in a blacksmiths vice.(IMHO)

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

In the event of Cyber War

You wont even hear the "all cloud" companies scream as the virtual death ray is pointed at them.

They can be wiped from history in one easy step either calculated or accidental.

I also note that this consolidation into big centralised "cloud" datacenters is the opposite of what the internet was intended to achieve in terms of survivability through a mass of redundant "nodes".

Many nodes are now no longer redundant as they share the same physical and logical hosting as their peers (and you can't prove it).

5. Kev99 Silver badge

Get ready to kiss all your sensitive, proprietary, confidential data goodbye. Remember, a cloud is just a bunch of holes held together by water vapor. Real secure, that.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

anon cause I care

Which is why a smart company only uses the cloud for data they don't really give a shit about. It has its place (cheap way to handle low priority low value workloads) but a smart company such as the one I work for knows you don't farm your production manufacturing systems out. You hire good experienced employees instead, take good care of them (no layoffs since company went public) and then they become fiercely loyal to the point of not batting any eye at taking a call in the middle of night or on vacation about some problem with production. The kind of company that has turned a profit every quarter for nearly two decades.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: anon cause I care

Yep... web videos and images all the way!

6. Uncle Siggy

In other news...

The sun will rise tomorrow.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So, it's a repackaged lie

The "Edge filer" is nothing more than a dedicated NAS, running the cloud WAN as additional storage space.

Like many of us do now.

Wow, so revolutionary! Create a new marketing term, get the easy to believe fools, who aren't reading between the lines, to believe that there truly is magic behind the curtain.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like