back to article US nuke boffinry to be powered by Facebook-inspired Linux servers

Linux clusters built from Facebook's blueprints will help crunch numbers for the US government's hydrogen bomb scientists. The computer system, dubbed the Tundra Extreme Scale series, will cost $39m, and at its peak perform between seven and nine thousand trillion math calculations per second – that's seven to nine petaflops …

1. Mark 85

Irony maybe?

There's a certain irony about what the Zuckerborg preaches about "bringing the world together", etc. and the tech developed by his company to ensure the bombs work....

2. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Where is that 'like' button

So, I can 'friend' a thermonuclear warhead on FB now or did I get something wrong?

1. frank ly

Re: Where is that 'like' button

Just hope that your new friend doesn't get the urge to visit you.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Where is that 'like' button

i just misread that as "send" a thermonuclear warhead.

oops.

3. Jos V

good, but...

Can it play tic tac toe?

4. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Oh dear, I've just remembered:

http://www.wavsource.com/snds_2015-10-18_3983753680792964/movies/dr_strangelove/computer.wav

http://www.wavsource.com/snds_2015-10-18_3983753680792964/movies/dr_strangelove/computer_complex.wav

But seriously: wouldn't it be nice if all the computer power currently devoted to liking, friending, sharing pictures of cute kittens and meals and so on was to be used on something worthwhile like research?

1. MyffyW Silver badge

When they hook IBM's Watson up to this that's when I head for the hills

5. Fungus Bob

But could this wonder technology be used to teach a bomb phenomenology?

1. mtp

Let there be light

1. Peter Stone

and there was light--

(Good old Dr A)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like