back to article Anons blow Japanese airports off-course in dolphin cull protest

Hacktivist collective Anonymous knocked offline two of Japan's busiest websites in a protest against dolphin killings. Distributed denial-of-service attacks against Tokyo's Narita airport and Nagoya's Chubu airport left each largely inaccessible for about eight hours. Flights at both airports were unaffected, the Japan Times …

1. John Tserkezis

I'll have the dolphin burger please. Yes, the one in the non-enviromentally-friendly styrofoam box.

And yes, I'll have the super-sized genetically modified fries with that too.

1. Amorous Cowherder
      Facepalm

Yeah

Yeah, f**k 'em! Why bother trying to save the biodiversity on this planet. We've shit all over it since we fell out the trees ( on our arse or head, I don't know which ) and we're only going to continue to f**k it up even more, and thanks to spirited people like yourself, I'm sure the end of humanity can't come quick enough!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

whale oil beef hooked

What's the world coming to? I'm off to protest world hunger at WHSmiths later because as everyone knows if Airports are the reason behind cruelty to Dolphins then it stands to reason WHSmiths are guilty of world hunger.

1. Mr. Flibble

@AC - whale oil beef hooked

<shrug> Oh well, at least it's bringing attention to the situation as the government isn't likely to do anything about it without extra pressure, so that's fine with me.

2. batfastad

> What's the world coming to? I'm off to protest world hunger at WHSmiths later because as everyone knows if Airports are the reason behind cruelty to Dolphins then it stands to reason WHSmiths are guilty of world hunger.

... and thirst. I mean £2 for a bottle of water, or free if you buy a newspaper that you don't want for £1.40.

3. tony2heads
    Black Helicopters

The dolphins are doing it

They have obviously tapped into the undersea cables, and are hacking from a secret underwater lair.

Binary is their native way of counting (2 flippers) so computing comes naturally to them.

What's that nurse - time for my meds?

1. The Jester
      Boffin

Re: The dolphins are doing it

Two flippers would count as two bits, each state (up or down) would count as a 0 or 1.

</pedant>

4. DropBear
    Facepalm

...and once the terrifying attacks subsided, the king gathered his brave men - all visibly shaken but unharmed - and announced that no creature of the high seas shall be harmed ever again, henceforth. Then there was great merriment and they all lived happily ever after.

...oh, wait...

5. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Just a DoS then

Reading the headline I first thought it had something to do with spoofing GPS signals or transponders - as it said airports were targeted, not websites of airports. Well, this being El Reg I should have known better. (Come for the headlines, stay for the BOFH and Dabbsy.)

1. Justicesays

Re: Just a DoS then

Appropriate XKCD link.

https://xkcd.com/932/

6. Your alien overlord - fear me

Pointless PR stunt. Come on Anon., I know you can do better than take down a fishing unions website for an hour or two (as if many actually went there).

Come on, take out the banks that finance these fishermen or something worthwhile.

And el Reg, why can't I post under my name *and* use the Anonymous Coward icon?

1. MyffyW Silver badge

Come on Anon., I know you can do better than take down a fishing unions website for an hour or two

That assumes Anonymous operates as a traditional organisation, rather than a loose collection of individuals. Dolphins are obviously important to somebody with a LOIC.

7. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge

At some point the dolphins will just be gone

and we will find in our inboxes the message:

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

1. h4rm0ny

Re: At some point the dolphins will just be gone

>>"So long, and thanks for all the fish!"

Actually given the massive over-fishing, there probably wont be any of them left, either.

Sadly, not all environmental causes are as stupid as deploying wind farms everywhere because we think nuclear power will create Godzilla. Some causes, like trying to stop catastrophic collapse of our marine ecology, are real. :(

8. Mark 85
    Pirate

They're doing it wrong...

Instead of hitting governmental websites, they should hit the government where it lives.. hit the big Japanese corporate websites as they are true masters of the government.

1. Florida1920

Re: They're doing it wrong...

hit the big Japanese corporate websites as they are true masters of the government.

Hack Sony, maybe?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like