back to article HTC's new One A9 will gulp Android updates days after Nexus mobes

HTC is pinning its comeback on better service, and cuddling up closer to Google. The troubled Taiwanese manufacturer's latest model, the midrange One A9, will come in an "Unlocked Edition," allowing tinkerers to customize the Android operating system without voiding their warranty. And HTC promises the One A9 will get Android …

1. Lobrau

Could well be the one...

...to tempt me away from the Nexus 5X. I'm currently using the HTC One M7, which is looking long in the tooth. I had hoped to escape the atrocious update schedule offered by HTC/Three by switching to Google but if this has quick updates then it might be worth holding fire till its release. Hopefully it will have a card slot to bump that 32Gb flash up a bit.

1. oneeye

Re: Could well be the one...

It does come with a card slot, up to 128 gb I believe. I noticed that because so many new phones were eliminating them. Smart move for HTC,and I rooting for them too.

2. Richard Wharram

Call the lawyers!

Bloody hell that looks like an iPhone :)

1. goldcd

and an ugly one

at that

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Call the lawyers!

Didn't HTC invent the plastic strip in the aluminium back to make the aerials work, and didn't Apple copy it? The iPhone 6 seemed to borrow heavily from the HTC One M8.

I think it is really more convergent evolution under selection pressure than actual copying.

1. Badvok

Re: Call the lawyers!

Yes, HTC copied Apple with assistance from Dr. Who. As usual Apple's reality distortion field seems to have had an effect on design.

3. Tromos

Low on power

2150mAH seems fairly weedy, especially as this is a fixed battery. If all those cores ever got going, I don't see it lasting up to lunchtime.

4. Bota

All well and good but what are the lengths of these updates? One of the reasons I'm probably going to switch to apple is that they have updates for 3 years per device. My Samsung won't go beyond lollipop. It's pretty frustrating when you're paying x amount for your phone thinking it'll last, only to be met with a myriad of security issues and none if them being rectified because your device is landfill.

1. oneeye

I have an HTC Evo 4g lte that I received a security update about six months ago. I thought that was pretty ggood,and they updated more than just the fake I'd,masterkey,and other security vulns.

2. No Quarter

3 years

Nobody keeps a Jesus Phone for three years surely? Not when the cult bring out a new one every year.

5. Gene Cash Silver badge

"Unlocked Edition"

So I tried wading through the marketing bullshit on the HTC webpage and didn't get anywhere. The only mention of "unlocked" was that it's not locked to a carrier.

Is that it? Or is the bootloader unlocked, which is what "allowing tinkerers to customize" would lead me to believe? Or what?

1. Alan Watson

Re: "Unlocked Edition"

My understanding is not unlocked out of the box but unlockable without that voiding the warranty.

Most HTCs have had user-unlockable bootloaders for a long time (except where a mobile carrier has changed that on their version of the handset). It's the second part, an official statement that you can unlock without threatening the warranty, that is new.

2. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: "Unlocked Edition"

Both. The Unlocked Edition is a name they've given it for the US market and means SIM free. You are allowed to unlock the bootloader with the SIM free version in a way similar to Sony lets you with the Xperias.

Questions are 1) Will HTC nobble the camera like Sony do if you unlock the bootloader officially? and 2) Will they put out a version of AOSP for their phones like Sony do which speeds up custom ROM development?

6. GrumpyOldBloke

> will get Android updates within 15 days of them hitting Google's Nexus range

For how long?

1. oneeye

"for how long" ? I would think for as long as Google keeps Nexus devices updated,but my experience has been good for my Evo 4g lte, because I received a security update about six months ago. That's better than most OEMs, don't you think ?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Thinking exactly the same, I'm of the opinion that manufacturers should be legally obliged that anything containing software should have 5 years guaranteed security and bug updates. If it's a defect that needs correcting later then it's a defect that was present in manufacture.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

That rose gold, those antenna lines across the back of the phone.

HTC has always been weak in its camera department, let's see how well this one does.

1. goldcd

The antenna lines

are from the original HTC One.

The rose gold - oh yes, that's iPhone.

Cameras on HTC are a mixed bag. I loved the original HTC One M7. Only 4MP, but massive sensor (it had a snappy name) and optical stabilization. Could take pretty good photos in virtually no light.

Then on the M8 they took away the OIS and added that rather stupid duo camera. Then on the M9 they slapped on a generic high MP sensor... god knows what downgrade I can expect to get on my next one :(

8. The Quiet One

Looks like the bastard love child of Samsung and Apple. Not a fan of the styling.

However, I have always loved HTC handset and their interface I had a first gen Desire, a One X and now have a One M8. Each phone has been a big step up from the last and reliability has been awesome. I think i once had about 150 days uptime on the One X before an update forced a reboot.

Hopefully the next flagship model will retain the front speakers. That, plus the improved update schedule will keep my brand loyalty alive.

1. sabroni Silver badge

re: before an update forced a reboot.

It runs Windows?!?!?

9. paulf
    Trollface

"HTC is pinning its comeback on better service"

It's taken them far too long to come to that epiphany!

10. Horridbloke

Reputation...

Back in 2010 I bought an original HTC Desire, partly on the manufacturer's express promise to add DivX compatibility. It never happened. Why should I take any notice of their promises for this one?

11. Lobrau

$399 in the states. £450($695) in the UK.

They can shove that one up their arse then.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

$399 in the states. £450($695) in the UK

They must think know some of us are stupid. It's a pity all British end users can't simply get together and go on buying strike till prices become ($*exchangerate)*1.2(for VAT) with a small add on for the EU 2 year warranty rules.

Looking at how prices tend to fall in this country after about 6 months, though, and looking at the lifestyles of some of our retail barons, perhaps it's more about Napoleon's "Nation of shopkeepers"1

1Yes, I do know some people think he said "liars" (menteurs) rather than shopkeepers (marchands). But the latter was pretty accurate.

12. Law

Incorrectly priced sadly

Moto X Style / Pure - with a better processor, quad-hd display, expandable memory, front facing stereo speakers, near-stock android - and £370 in the UK. I don't see HTC pricing it below £399 in the UK - they always just change $ for £, but maybe they will this time.

Looking around, we've got new mid-range phones with better specs and better priced. Unfortunately HTC don't seem to be able to compete on price and spec's these days. I don't see how they'll keep their 15 day promise on updates either.

It's a shame though, one of the best phones I ever owned was a HTC Desire - and I loved my HTC Hero too... be a shame for this to be their last attempt to stay in the game, an iphone clone. :(

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like