back to article Hey techies! Ever wanted to adopt a Congresscritter? Now's your chance

A former US congressional staffer has created a campaign to put people with technology backgrounds in a position to work with US lawmakers. The Tech Congress fellowship would put people with backgrounds in computer science and engineering on Capitol Hill working with members of congress and congressional committees to help …

1. Joe User
    Trollface

Adopt a Congresscritter?

No thanks! Way too much manure to scoop up....

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'd love to do this as I've spent much of my life doing just this. However, given the university ties it's obvious that I'm not the fellow they are looking for.

3. chivo243 Silver badge
    WTF?

we all know

People in power cannot be trained or taught. Aren't we all IT'ers that deal with smug know nothing - know it alls? Even when we go the extra mile to assist, it falls short of their expectations.

I agree that we need knowledgeable people in the positions required to make these laws etc. Therein lies the real conundrum.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: we all know

There is a way round that problem. Anyone seeking any political position must pass a test in engineering and technology equivalent to a BTech before they can be elected. That way we just might end up with sane laws.

1. chivo243 Silver badge

I agree, but Political Office and any educational qualifications for said office are non existent. It's an election. Who smiles for the camera, who kisses the most babies... Not an IT certification - even if they only have proficiency in MS Office certificate. We should be so lucky.

It does baffle me how fast the can learn how to view/download pr0n, and not just your garden variety ;-\

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"It's an election."

And as the saying goes, it doesn't matter who you vote for you always get a politician.

With our unelected upper house in the UK there should be an opportunity to fix this. Instead of the usual political appointees there should be ex officio places for representatives of the chartered professional bodies, Royal Society etc. As things stand there are a few members of the HoL who have real world qualifications and experience but largely because they also have political affiliations. Having ex officio representation would ensure that there would be far more systematic provision.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Make it necessary for a person to be able to find the roots to a quadratic equation before they are allowed to vote, and you'd be onto something. Until we change who is allowed to vote, it is hopeless.

2. Mark 85

The other problem is "how much time would you actually get with a CongressCritter"? I do think the old saw about "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing" applies here. Either they get enough to be conversant and are willing to talk and more importantly actually listen to the people who know, or they should recuse themselves from any votes or discussion. Having a little knowledge is sort of like having a fundie Christian running the Science Committee... and we know how that's working out.

4. elDog

Prepare to get dirty.

Nothing they like better than wrestling in mud.

Now if you are already an SEO champ or know how to spam millions of unwitting citizens, you could be The One.

1. GrumpyOldBloke

Re: Prepare to get dirty.

The considerate treatment of young interns has been an area of exemplary performance by congress. Demonstrating time and time again that gender prejudice has no place in the countries decision making.

5. x 7

"Congresscritter?"

I never knew there was a name for a pig/skunk/snake chimaera

1. Mark 85

You're not from the States are you?

6. Mikel

OMG

I can just imagine the training session. "Which end do the tubes go in? Where do I send the pull tabs so Bill Gates will finally help the Cancer Kid? Make this app do that other, unrelated thing because I like the way this one keeps the stationary inventory but I want it to also send bulk spam emails to prospective donors."

The horror.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Adopt or Buy

rather than Adapt or Die?

8. jake Silver badge

Been there, done that, tried it 20 years ago.

Boxer & Feinstein. They didn't want to hear free advice. They wanted lobbyist money.

9. cschneid

Typical duties may include:

Briefing Members and staff about technology issues

Writing legislation

Preparing for hearings or markups

Meeting with stakeholder groups and building coalitions

[the above is from the Fellowship's website]

People with a CompSci background might be okay at that first item, the rest seem to require skill sets antithetical to a CompSci background.

10. launcap Silver badge
    Coat

Does the job..

.. come with an assortment of brightly-coloured crayons and plenty of paper? 'Cos you are gonna need it..

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like