back to article Hand-cranked ‘DDoS’ floors Thai government website amid protests

Thai government websites dropped offline this week in what was either a politically motivated distributed denial-of-service attack or a case of badly designed websites falling over in response to an unusual increase in visitor numbers. The outage started late on Wednesday and was resolved on Thursday – coinciding with protests …

1. msknight

ROTFL

"surfers were checking to see whether an attack was happening"

Not exactly the most believable form of government propaganda.

"Oh no! Too many legitimate requests for data!" *crunch*

If this is really how effective their I.T. is, then I'd like to see their attempt at a firewall.

2. Pen-y-gors

ไม่ได้อย่างแน่นอน

Garland of flowers?

1. hatti

Re: ไม่ได้อย่างแน่นอน

Close, Rice crackers

1. James O'Shea

You mean that it doesn't really mean "We love Yul Brynner"?

Hmm. I wonder what the Thai government would do if someone were to post https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_King_and_I#/media/File:Brynner_the_King.jpg and similar pix all over assorted Thai government websites?

Edit: thaigov.go.th appears to be down or at least isn't reachable from Deepest South Florida. What a pity.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Childcatcher

According to my translation weapon of choice it means "absolutely not" but knowing el Reg's general approach to language and said weapon's prudishness, it may have lost a little of the original's forcefulness.

3. auburnman

If IT in your country is at the state where a hand-cranked DDOS (allegedly) can be successful, no wonder they are horrified at the possibility of sliding further back.

4. Jimbo in Thailand
    Unhappy

The Land of S̶m̶i̶l̶e̶s̶ Kim Jong-Un Jr.

Under 'Fearless Leader' there is already rampant censorship on the tubes since the coup last year. It's compounded exponentially because the phucking moronic idiots who are tasked with monitoring the Internet can't even read and understand basic English. I get the official green 'censored' screen frequently for all manner of non-Thai, non-political, non-judgmental jokes, news, recipes, advertisements, sports, you name it. It boggles the mind how this 21st century zeitgeist of incompetent leadership has become the norm, not only here, but also in the US, Canada, the UK, the EU, Australia, and New Zealand. When will it phucking end?!

1. PleebSmash
      Black Helicopters

Re: The Land of S̶m̶i̶l̶e̶s̶ Kim Jong-Un Jr.

It will end when you remove or kill your military dictators. What are you waiting for, Thailand?

1. Jimbo in Thailand
        FAIL

"It will end when you remove or kill your military dictators."

Ummm... sorry PleebSmash... I personally have no military dictators. And I certainly don't advocate killing anyone, even in jest, especially on a public forum. Have you lost your your freakin' mind?!

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Sometimes killing people is necessary. You may not like it, but that's the reality of the world.

Take Assad in Syria, for example. Him, you kill. No hesitation. There are plenty of others. People who aren't capable of reason. People who can't talk things out; whose drive for power or sheer sociopathic inhumanity will never let them be talked down.

You may not like it, but I hope you're grown up enough to recognise the truth of it.

1. e^iπ+1=0

"Take Assad in Syria, for example. Him, you kill. No hesitation."

Are you sure? I might have agreed as recently as, say, 2 years ago, before Isis had gained any traction. Now, no. Too risky.

Previously the Russians might even have waved it through. Not any more.

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Assad is responsible for over 95% of deaths in Syria during this war. The rebels about 4%. ISIS about 1%. They are not the threat western media makes them out to be, and they are NOTHING compared to the monster that is Assad.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why didn't the just use Windows macro scripting? Unless user participation was a "feature."

6. Mark 85
    Devil

A Great Firewall of x Here and One There...

At this rate, all countries will have their own Great Firewall and ICANN will be meaningless.... Come to think of it, a whole lot of tech companies will become meaningless also. Maybe a coin toss is needed to determine if this a good or bad thing.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like