back to article El Reg lecture shows the merely human how to live forever

If you could live forever, would you actually want to? That’s a question best considered over a pint which is exactly what we’ll doing at our first Christmas 2015 lecture on 17 November, when we're joined by leading transhumanist Anders Sandberg. Anders will be discussing his work researching both the ethics of living forever …

1. Your alien overlord - fear me

"his work also covers global catastrophic risk, cognitive biases, cognitive enhancement, collective intelligence, neuroethics and public policy. These are all topics that could be debated for ever" - not if humans die as nature intended, with Earth being hit by a massive asteroid.

1. &rew

...as nature intended?

I think you are crediting nature with a lot more planning ability than they actually possess.

1. PleebSmash

Re: ...as nature intended?

"they"

Nature doesn't like that.

2. Robert Helpmann??
    Childcatcher

Rain Check?

For those of us with no way of being there, is there any chance these events will be made available on video or at least through transcription? I would love to hang out, but have a prior engagement in a completely different part of the world.

1. Joe Fay

Re: Rain Check?

They'll all be videoed and loaded on the site, just like we did with the previous six. Check them here - http://search.theregister.co.uk/?q=reg+lecture+video&advanced=1&author=&date=the+dawn+of+time&site=0&results_per_page=20

1. Robert Helpmann??
        Childcatcher

Re: Rain Check?

Thanks! Now I have something worthwhile to do with my days off.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re. Rain Check?

Indeed, same here.

Maybe some folks can turn up via telepresence robot, pretty sure you can rent these already and if not why not?

4. Harry Stottle

The wrong question

why do all those hostile to or ignorant of the terms of the Transhumanist debate always ask the wrong question: "If you could live forever, would you want to?"

Transhumanism isn't about immortality, it's about Omortality (optional mortality) i.e. living for as long as you still think it's a good idea.

5. JCitizen
    Terminator

Zonbies!!

Yeah! That's the ticket!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon