back to article Ex-Autonomy CEO Mike Lynch sues HP for $150m+

Autonomy founder and ex-CEO Mike Lynch is suing HP for at least $150m (£100m) in damages over its assertion that he helped cook the books to inflate the price it paid for the software firm. Back in the summer of 2011, HP forked out $10.7bn to acquire Autonomy. Little over a year later, the US giant accused Lynch of …

1. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse

HP Sauce

Way to go Mike. This utter fiasco is just another example of HP doing BAU.

Anyone know when this actually goes to court? Looking forward to following the progress.

2. Your alien overlord - fear me

Good luck waiting for a comment from HP - they haven't brought a multi-billion dollar PR company yet.

1. theblackhand

RE: multi-billion PR company

Isn't a multi-billion PR company just a $100 PR company that convinces HP to buy it?

Hmm - this might be a business opportunity. I'll start by approaching Larry with my "business" and getting rejected and putting a note in my accounts saying "we don't make any money yet, but these projections show we could make billions". Now I just have to sit back and wait....

1. Ilsa Loving

Re: RE: multi-billion PR company

I think it would be more accurate to say that they would by a multi-billion dollar PR company, but HP would manage it so badly that it would only be worth $100 by the time the ink has dried on the contract.

1. David 132 Silver badge
          Joke

Re: RE: multi-billion PR company

HP would manage it so badly that it would only be worth $100 by the time the ink has dried on the contract.

This being HP, the ink to print that contract would have cost more than that.

3. Ben Liddicott

Risky strategy

... Oscar Wilde anyone?

1. Anonymous Coward 101

Re: Risky strategy

Dead Irish writer. Supposed to be quite good.

4. dogged

I get all this but find it hard to believe that Autonomy wasn't overpriced. Everything else HP ever bought was.

1. jonathanb Silver badge

The commentards here said it was overpriced at the time. Look back at the archives from the time the deal was going through.

5. Paul Crawford Silver badge

Can anyone point to an HP acquisition that is a success?

6. FozzyBear
    Happy

Wait a minute

Ok I'm in my comfy chair and I have my popcorn. Continue!

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

3PAR. I suspect HP would have ceased to be a storage vendor without it.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

On the other hand , what about all the people who lost their jobs at HP over this

9. channelswimmer

How soon we forget

Lynch tried to sell Autonomy to Oracle for $6bn, and that was rejected as overpriced. HP shouldn't have subsequently bought it for $10bn, but they should at least have done some due diligence.

http://www.oracle.com/us/corporate/press/503333

10. RoboticRabbit

Personally I would trust Richard Nixon more than I would trust HP.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like