back to article WARM, WOBBLING MOON believed to hide MOIST CRADLE of life

The wobblings of the warm and perhaps welcoming Enceladus, moon of Saturn, are said by top boffins to offer a surefire clue that wetness able to sustain life is to be found within. It seems that top boffins at Cornell uni have finally become willing to go firm on the matter following lengthy observations of the moon's motion, …

1. Mark 85
    Alien

Maybe it's not an ocean that is creating those "jets" but the inhabitants cleaning the engines in preparation to move to another location?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Surfing Encela....di....a

I'd like to see the wet suit for that set.

3. phil dude
    Thumb Up

no pithy comment.

Fascinating.

P.

1. hplasm
      Happy

Re: no pithy comment.

...raises one eyebrow.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

I've been to the North Shore (HI) a few hundred times. Now about how much to do the South (polar) Shore?

5. Nash

i know the solar system is big.....

...and it's easy to get lost, but a quick Google tells you the image you have used is in fact Jupiter's moon Europa, and not Enceladus. Just saying

1. Nash

Re: i know the solar system is big.....

Ha, nice quick image change there, i like it.

6. Zog_but_not_the_first
    Trollface

Low gravity...

{echoing manic laughter} Wipeout!

7. Tom_

Waves?

Wouldn't they just be pressure waves between the core and the frozen outer shell? It seems unlikely that there's an ocean, then an atmosphere and then a ceiling above that.

8. Hairy Spod

through the jets!!

what's that going to coat all of the instruments with, wont hitting them at speed be a bit of risk?

1. Brewster's Angle Grinder Silver badge

This is space so they're probably crossing their fingers and hoping they actually encounter a molecule.

Okay, apparently Cassini has done this six times before, four at low altitude, and the particle density is around 2000 molecules/cc. [Source]

9. Graham Jordan

So how easy would it be

To pull it out of Saturn's orbit and smash that shit into Mars/Venus for some terraforming action?

I'm no scientist (shock horror) but I believe you need something of the same or larger mass to pull at it, drag it out of Saturn's gravitational pull then send it packing with a whole bunch of mind boggling maths towards the destined planet yah?

So erm, is Katy Hopkins ego big enough? How many peaches does Bruce Willis need to eat to build up the strength to punch it off course?

10. myhandler

Erm .. what's the gravity on that ? - you could go into orbit from a good surf take off

11. ravenviz Silver badge
    Boffin

Pass within 49 km

If I got my maths right, given the distance to Enceladus, that's like flying by the Moon at 15 m altitude!

12. hatti

That's no moon ...it's a space station

1. MattPi

"That's no moon ...it's a space station"

And once more, a British-made one; those jets are oil leaking out.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like