back to article Who wants a European Broadband Award? Anyone? *tumbleweed*

High speed broadband operators have until the end of this week to nominate themselves for a European Commission award. The Europe-wide Broadband Award honours the five best Next-Generation Networks (NGN) projects delivering at least 30Mbps in urban, suburban and rural areas. The so-called Digital Agenda target for 2020 is …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

not my ISP, not yet anyway

my speeds:

16,1 Mbit/s up 1,2 Mbit/s down

1. Ashton Black

Re: not my ISP, not yet anyway

That's a weird asymmetric. (I think you have those the wrong way round.)

Anyway...

My Speeds:

1.7-3.0Mb Down (It depends on things like how much its rained, wind direction and phase of the moon, I think)

300k Up.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The killer on any award is going to be the rural areas where we have to rely on old corroded copper that takes the line of least resistance between exchange and user. In my case I am 4.5 km from the exchange as the crow flies but the copper length is just over 6.75 km.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The killer on any award is going to be the rural areas where we have to rely on old corroded copper that takes the line of least resistance between exchange and user. In my case I am 4.5 km from the exchange as the crow flies but the copper length is just over 6.75 km.

That's funny, I thought transmission over fibre also had to go all the way along the fibre and not just shortcut through the ether.

As far as I can guess, only wireless would deliver an "as the crow flies" distance for transmission

2. mrs doyle
      Happy

not a problem, we have people with no cabinets in their villages, and some are 11.5km from the exchange, and they are getting gigabit symmetrical for £30 a month because they built their own fibre network. I live on a farm up a mountainside and I just did this test: http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/1366714

3. Robert Simmons

IFNL gets my vote

I pay £26/pm for 100/20Mbps, on a speed test earlier today I achieved 98/18Mbps.

It's FTTH, and of course I've no complaints about that ;-)

4. mrs doyle

B4RN delivers

914 Mbps down, 941Mbps up. Think that could win for B4RN? http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/1366382

5. hatti

Award?

No thanks I'll print my own

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like