back to article Swooning MEPs go all Directioner over Edward Snowden

Whistleblower-in-chief Edward Snowden has been nominated for the European Parliament’s human rights prize, for a second time. The nominations for the 2015 Sakharov Prize were decided last week, with Snowden getting the nod again after losing to Malala Yousafzai, the teenage Pakistani girl who defied the Taliban, in 2013. The …

1. Forget It
    Mushroom

I suppose they intend to deliver the prize by hand

thus

the icon

(if the NSA get to it on the way)

2. elDog

Ed, if you are awarded the prize - please check for nasty bits accompanying

I think you should be recognized around the world for taking on the power-hungry apparatchiks (not any longer a purely Russian word).

Personally, I think it would send an even stronger message if the committees decide to award multiple human right prizes rather than a single one. Seeing Ed Snowden (even virtually) being honored along with some other stellar examples of humanity would show the world that good deeds can come in lots of ways.

3. GrumpenKraut
    Meh

touchstone Snowden

Interesting to watch the western (mostly: European) governments squirming around any and all matters of Snowden being potentially awarded a prize or applying for asylum.

Not something that brightens my day.

1. Lars Silver badge
      Happy

Re: touchstone Snowden

I agree, it's the Americans who should award him.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: touchstone Snowden

Yes, we should. Presidential Medal of Freedom tailor made for this particular role. Unfortunately this will never happen. It'd be immediate notification that civil rights were violated.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

With any luck...

...Snowden will run head first into a Russian nuke pill. That's precisely what he deserves. As ye sow...

1. LucreLout

Re: With any luck...

That seems excessive to me.

As far as anyone has divulged, there was no loss of life due to Snowdens actions, however just or unjust we might each perceive them to be. Radiation sickness seems like an awful way to die, and I'm at a loss as to what possible thought process has brought you to believe it acceptable in this instance?

Care to enlighten me, as I'm genuinely interested?

2. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Re: With any luck...

And I hope sociopathic Anonymous Cowards like you get cholera and shit yourselves to death.

Snowden was at least a net benefit to humanity, mate. You're not.

5. Mark 85

Intentions vs. Politics

While their intentions might be good, I believe the politics will prevent Snowden and most of the others from getting even more then a passing glance. More than likely, the speculation in the article is right as the EU won't want to upset any other country.

6. Christoph

"Antoine Deltour, a former PricewaterhouseCoopers auditor who unleashed the so-called LuxLeaks scandal"

Pity they don't honour the various auditors who complained about the gaping holes in the EU's accounts and got themselves fired.

7. Ole Juul

It would send a message

The prize is awarded every year to honour exceptional individuals who combat intolerance, fanaticism and oppression.

8. kbb

The prize

I don't suppose the prize is asylum in the EU by any chance?

9. LucreLout

....a report approved last week called for him to be given asylum.

Anyone with a legal skillset care to explain how that could work?

My legally uneducated take, almost certain to be wrong, is that the EU arrest warrant would force his extradition to Britain should we so request it. Britains extradition arrangements with the use may perhaps best be desrcibed as being both streamlined, and one-sided.

How then could Snowden accept asylum anywhere in the EU, and be safe from extradition? I'm assuming America will want Snowden the second he comes within reach.

Given the choices facing Ed, I'd choose the freedom and quality of life in Russia over a small dark cell or potential patriot induced pine box in America. And I love America (sorry, I know its not the "in" thing to say, but I love the place, not their /our foreign policy).

10. BuckeyeB

He broke the law. Your intentions are irrelevant. They might be mitigating at a sentencing, but not in a finding of guilt or innocence.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like